cel problem..

roni

:
2001 Mazda Protege MP3
i throw this code every time i start the car and start moving. doesn't matter how many times i clear it. anyone have any idea how to analyze this type of error?

P2009 - Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC) Solenoid Control Circuit Low Voltage

thanks.

Im not sure of the exact code.. but your car has the P5 ECU so most likely that is what is throwing the code, someone else will confirm the exact code #.

The MP3 ECu lacks VTCS which the P5 ecu is searching for, so it throws a code.

There is a thread in this section of howto fix the mp3 cel problem. If this is in fact your code.

Last edited:
i was trying to research the code that should come up from the ecu, and it did not look like a similar code or a similar description. if it is from the ecu swap, i can work on one of the many workarounds people have suggested.

check out the attachment

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 330
woot. i understand. i will fix the ecu vtcs problem.

i just didn't see the direct connection between the imrc and the vtcs until you posted that attachment.

thanks.

roni said:
woot. i understand. i will fix the ecu vtcs problem.

i just didn't see the direct connection between the imrc and the vtcs until you posted that attachment.

thanks.
And dominoy2k1 should know! :D

Well done!

roni said:
Exactly my point. That's why I DO NOT think that 2009 is from your VTCS. That's what 1569 is for. I believe 2009 is a GENERIC CEL code. I want to GUESS that an IMRC is more likely the VICS setup, but really, I'm just pulling that out of my ass.

Make sure he doesn't have his VICS butterfly zip tied open or some dumb crap like that.

Kooldino said:
Exactly my point. That's why I DO NOT think that 2009 is from your VTCS. That's what 1569 is for. I believe 2009 is a GENERIC CEL code. I want to GUESS that an IMRC is more likely the VICS setup, but really, I'm just pulling that out of my ass.

Make sure he doesn't have his VICS butterfly zip tied open or some dumb crap like that.
not to say that you're talking out of your ass, but did you see the attachment domino2k1 posted?

it associates IMRC with the VTCS solenoid, and IVC with the VICS solenoid.

i found that attachment in the manual i have.

wouldn't it be possible that 2009 is a cel code that points to a problem with the same solenoid, just interprets the problem differently?

ok further research has led me back to google where i could find this code and this description.

the same text file that lists:

DTC P2009 Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC) Solenoid Control Circuit Low Voltage

also lists this:

DTC P1569 Cruise Servo Stroke High While not in Cruise

so in reality the accuracy of these codes when they are not defined in the mazda workshop manual is questionable. the 2001 protege manual i have does not include the codes that may be resulting from the p5 ecu. so in reality, all the codes may be interpreted inaccurately unless i have the workshop manual pages from a p5.

i will try the solenoid fix. i should get the solenoid in a few days. at this point i just believe it's easier to try to eliminate the code by using the fix for the vtcs solenoid than to try to second-guess the only information i have been able to find. i do thank you guys for your assistance in this matter.

roni said:
i throw this code every time i start the car and start moving. doesn't matter how many times i clear it. anyone have any idea how to analyze this type of error?

P2009 - Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC) Solenoid Control Circuit Low Voltage

thanks.

roni said:
not to say that you're talking out of your ass, but did you see the attachment domino2k1 posted?

it associates IMRC with the VTCS solenoid, and IVC with the VICS solenoid.

i found that attachment in the manual i have.

wouldn't it be possible that 2009 is a cel code that points to a problem with the same solenoid, just interprets the problem differently?
Ahh, I see.

Well, that's why I said it was just a theory...cuz I didn't know.

But yeah, I agree, it could just be a diff code from the same issue. It's just odd that a lot of people haven't seen that particular code before. You might as well do the fix anyway, since you have to, and then see if the code is still thrown.

roni said:
ok further research has led me back to google where i could find this code and this description.

the same text file that lists:

DTC P2009 Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC) Solenoid Control Circuit Low Voltage

also lists this:

DTC P1569 Cruise Servo Stroke High While not in Cruise

so in reality the accuracy of these codes when they are not defined in the mazda workshop manual is questionable. the 2001 protege manual i have does not include the codes that may be resulting from the p5 ecu. so in reality, all the codes may be interpreted inaccurately unless i have the workshop manual pages from a p5.
AFAIK, there are certain ranges of CEL code numbers that are reserved for Generic Codes (such as O2 sensor codes, for example), and then there are CEL code ranges that are manufacturer or car specific. Point is that CEL code # 1569 is in fact VTCS on the Protege, and very well may be "Cruise Servo Stroke High While not in Cruise" in a totally different car. CEL # 2009 should be the same on any car, since i believe it is a generic code. Hope that helps.

Back