Intermittent engine light. Only on startup code p2009

:
03 Protege5, NA
So I have a 2003 Protege5, about 167xxx miles. Driven almost a whole year with no CEL but recently I started seeing something weird. The CEL will occasionally come on after i start the car. The next time I start the car it usually stays off but the next time I start it it is likely to turn back on. The light only ever comes on at idle (as far as I know) and to the best of my knowledge is only ever throwing P2009.

Firstly, this code is not something that'll let me sit, but i do need it off for inspection.

Secondly, I'm suspicious of my wiring and more particularly my battery. I don't know how old my battery is, but the terminals have stubborn corrosion. Has anyone experienced similar CEL behavior and know how best to fix it?

We replaced the solenoid valve last year for inspection and the lines hold vacuum, the plunger on the VVCT line isn't stuck. Other than electrically, i don't know what would be wrong anymore.

Hopefully somebody knows something! Thanks!!

Last edited:
Try reading the code when the CEL is on.
You may have an intermittent failure that clears itself and then clears the code from the ECU's memory.

I had a downstream O2 sensor going bad, and the CEL would come and go until I replaced the sensor.

You can buy a code reader for about $10. You can also use it to check your IM readiness so that all your checks are complete for the inspection.

I don't know whether that code is referring to the VICS or the VTCS.
The code numbers are different in our service manual.
It is either code P1569 or P0660.

Screenshot_20220817-184840_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
Screenshot_20220817-185035_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

It's these two valves on the top of the engine.

Screenshot_20220817-185557_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Your other solenoid may have failed or your new solenoid has failed again.
Almost all of us have had to replace those solenoid valves, and some of us multiple times.

This thread talks about code P2009 and the fix.

These are the available options at Rockauto.
They are all the same valve.

Screenshot_20220817-183556_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20220817-183650_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I would take the gamble and throw a couple of $10 solenoids at it.

I don't know whether that code is referring to the VICS or the VTCS.
The code numbers are different in our service manual.
It is either code P1569 or P0660.

View attachment 312378View attachment 312379

It's these two valves on the top of the engine.

View attachment 312375

Your other solenoid may have failed or your new solenoid has failed again.
Almost all of us have had to replace those solenoid valves, and some of us multiple times.

This thread talks about code P2009 and the fix.

These are the available options at Rockauto.
They are all the same valve.

View attachment 312376View attachment 312377

I would take the gamble and throw a couple of $10 solenoids at it.
Thanks so much! I was looking at those and some other things but then remembered my battery. I'm so sorry for this post at this point. The issue seems to have been the battery. Before startup it read 12.3 volts (just under 3 years old) so i replaced it and things work great! The issue may have actually been my alternator belt. Apparently the squealing i thought was from my serpentine was actually from the alternator belt. (I'm guessing that because the belt was loose, the battery wasn't being charged properly and lost voltage more quickly) IF ANYONE ELSE FINDS THIS THREAD... CHECK YOUR BATTERY (and alternator)

Now my alternator is very loud. I have CAI and modified exhaust and can still hear the whine at city speeds. Sounds like a supercharger lol. It the belt TOO tight now? Or is that okay?

Thanks so much for y'all's input and help!

Yeah, I went through 4 alternators before I started doing my own maintenance.
The shop over tightened the belt and wrecked the bearing on the alternators.
They kept making that whining sound after about 6 months.

I'm sorry to say that you may need a new alternator.

Here's a few links about the alternator belt and bearing.

Back