CEL after fitting Pod Filter - Any ideas?

I have a 2018 KF CX5 with a 2.0 engine and auto trans. I fitted a Corksport pod filter and get an occasional CEL. The fault is essentially as per the TSB 01-015/19 - when the engine is held at WOT below 2000rpm it goes into limp home mode and shows a CEL for a while after. It goes away once the car has been off for a while.
It’s not Corksports fault as they never said this product would work on my car, but I took a punt as the engine is the same. They did say if I could get the ecu updated as per the TSB then that would fix the issue, as they’ve only seen CEL’s on early versions of this engine (with a three wire MAF), once it’s updated there shouldn’t be any more CEL’s. The issue is I’m in New Zealand and the TSB is for the US market, so doesn’t cover my exact car. (the 2.0 only comes in manual in the US) My dealer said they searched for updates for my car on their system and couldn’t find any. Does anyone have any ideas? I’m pretty sure the files listed for the 2.0 engine in that TSB will work for my engine too but I’m not sure if that’s even possible to do….

Hmmm? I am wondering if your ECU is protecting the engine because of the knock sensors value? You might try using 93-95 octane fuel with a "real" octane booster and use it at a high % to fuel value and than try is out. I would also have a look at your sparkplugs? It might be time to change them with your newly added engine performance parts?

Might want to go to the dealer and find out where the mechanics smoke/hang out and offer them some cash to flash the update since the service advisor typically know $hit about cars and are just there to up sell you on things.

Sounds like the air pod is leaning out the a/f mixture and triggering the CEL (only way to tell for certain is buy those cheap ELM OBD II that you can connect to your phone to view the CEL and other parameters (a/f when going WOT below 2k rpm’s). As previously mentioned, go back to the the original air box as there is little gain from aftermarket intakes on non turbo cars.

Back