Car's original speakers came alive at minus 7 degrees C.

:
CX-5 AWD, 2017
I have a non Bose six speaker system in my 2017 Mazda CX-5 and have hated that bloaty, base heavy sound, with low treble and with no focus at all BUT to my surprise as the temperature dropped to minus 7 degrees C this morning the speakers suddenly came out alive and I was just blown away. The base was tight, the midrange clear and exact and the treble very pleasant, without being harsh. Is this the same system or what, I kept thinking. I almost missed my turn in to the hospital, enjoyed the sound so much! The cold must have tightened the membrane (behaving more like a coated membrane speaker instead of the plain paper cone speaker that it is). It also shows that there is a great potential if we can get the right speaker in this system. After this experience I am convinced that there are two ways to go here,
(1) Pull out the door cards and paint those paper speakers with Wood glue (diluted with water) to stiffen them up. Let them dry and then, re mount the door cards and enjoy the sound. Cheap and good. No need to take out the speakers.
OR
(2) Change to a good quality coated speakers, possibly with inbuilt tweeters to liven up the sound.
Come summer, I am going route number two, but am very tempted to try and test route number one as a cheap fix.
Just my two cents!

Speakers are always the weakest link for an audio system. I believe route #2 is a much better way to have better sound consistently. :)

Speakers are always the weakest link for an audio system. I believe route #2 is a much better way to have better sound consistently. :)

in my 1995 maxima, the speakers themselves are actually very good, but the bose headunit itself is garbage.

I have the non-bose in my Mazda 6, and it's pretty decent for the base sound system.

I have tin ears and think the sound system is just fine in my 2018. Given that I was driving the same Honda Element for almost 15 years anything would likely sound better than what i had.

I have tin ears and think the sound system is just fine in my 2018. Given that I was driving the same Honda Element for almost 15 years anything would likely sound better than what i had.

You never realise how bad you have it untill you start to compare it to other systems or speakers. After sometime you get quite good in sorting out the rubbish from the better systems. Changing systems and speakers for small increments in sound quality can be quite expensive.

I had allready bought the 6.5 inch Hertz coaxial speakers (4 in total) for the doors and a set of good tweeters for the A pillar, so route 2 is guaranteed but should I go via route 1 was the question. Having said that it is not worth removing the door cards twice to satisfy my inquisitive mind. So route 2 it will be!

Why does the brand have any bearing on the size?

I believe they are 9 inch speakers in the front doors.
I think Anchorman has forgotten that he had linked a pdf file to me before, that shows that both the front and rear door speakers in non Bose 2017 are 6,5 inches.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123862575-speaker-size-in-CX-5-2017
Yep, 9 speaker is used as the woofer on front doors for Bose system on Gen-1 CX-5. For Gen-2 CX-5 its 6.5 speaker on front doors even on Bose.

And its 6.5 speaker used on all 4 doors for non-Bose system.

From speaker setup point of view, 2017 10-speaker Bose system with 2 new A-pillar tweeters and a new spare-tire sub-woofer is definitely better than 2016 9-speaker Bose which doesn't have any of these! No, the new sub-woofer won't make big difference as it's has a small 5" speaker which has to be the smallest speak/driver I have ever seen as a sub-woofer! Remember, No highs, no lows, must be Bose!

Here are some info from Mazda Japan website about new CX-5 Bose system translated by Google. 10-speaker Bose system in 2017 CX-5 has two 1" (25 mm) tweeters at A-pillars, two 6" (165 mm) mid-range speakers on front doors, two 5" (130 mm) mid-range speakers on rear doors. Finally a sub-woofer with 5" (130 mm) speaker is located in spare tire area. Since it says two front tweeters and two corner dash mid-range door speakers form a 2-way configuration front speaker setup, we lost two corner dash 3" mid-range speakers but the center dash 3" mid-range speakers stays for surround sound effect. The 3" speaker with red border shown in the picture is the center dash speaker, the other two 3" speakers are rear fill-in for surround sound. Personally I'd prefer no Centerpoint 2 Surround Sound System like CX-3's since we don't watch movies while driving anyway! :)

理想の「マツダサウンド」をBoseと共同開発
Enjoy the high-quality comfort of the new CX-5 with five senses.
I thought about functions and equipment that can feel usability without being caught by common sense.

Developed ideal "Mazda sound" jointly with Bose
functionality_img01_1612.ts.1612150201269930.jpg

In Mazda, "Clarity: Clear sound without distortion" "Imaging: accurately reproducing all the sounds of music from bass to treble" "Power: sound that feels heavy bass energy" is called "Bose Mazda sound "value and definition. Since this idea overlaps with the idea pursued by Bose, we collaborated with Bose from the early stages of vehicle development and realized an ideal sound system and 10 speakers for the new CX-5.

Bose sound system (AUDIOPILOT (TM) 2 + Centerpoint 2) +10 speaker
functionality_img02_1612.ts.1612150201271330.jpg

A silk dome adopted 25 mm tweeter in the front pillar to reproduce a smooth and clear high tone. This 2-way configuration with tweeter, 165 mm speaker of the front door to properly localize vocals and each instrument. A 130 mm woofer built-in base box under the luggage room floor that produces superb heavy bass.
And rear door 130mm speaker. These 10 speakers realized a balanced, clear, realistic sound that sounds like coming from any stage anywhere on the stage. We also have a Surround System Centerpoint 2 function that reproduces with a stereoscopic sound image even with a stereo sound source, and a running noise compensation system AUDIOPILOT (TM) 2.

* Built-in woofer built-in base box of Bose sound system is installed under the trunk board.
(Maker Set Option: 20 S PROACTIVE, 25 S PROACTIVE, XD PROACTIVE, 25 S L Package, XD L Package)

Going along the same lines (changing speakers in non Bose 2017- Mazda CX-5), does any one have speaker wire colour codes so that we know which one is +ve and which one is -ve?

Back