Car won't start after running with a quart of oil over

Hi protege 5 guys, new to here, and love my protege 5. That being said.. I am terrible about keeping it in shape I guess. I try to keep up with oil changes as much as possible, but recently went over a few thousand miles from the date given at shop.
So to start, I checked my oil to see how dirty it was when my car was cold. The dipstick showed that not only was it nice and brown, but it appeared a few centimeters maybe below the line. So I figured I'd go get some oil to put in. I put the whole quart of oil in, and checked the dipstick, and now it was over pretty much up to where the bendy part is on the stick. Asked someone if I should be ok until i can get oil changed, he said sure, probably. I drove about 60 miles or so, seemed to run ok I guess. The next day when I went to start, it started but immediately stopped and check engine light came on. I can get it cranking, but won't turn over. Used starter fluid and still wouldn't start. The cranking sounds ok, almost like normal. My battery is definitely going bad or now I'm thinking possibly alternator. Another friend said possibly crankshaft position sensor or fuel pump. I've drained and replaced oil at normal level.
I even changed 3 spark plugs, but one of the coils snapped on the 3rd plug in line and the plastic piece surrounding the plug is stuck in there. But have read that your car should still start if that's the case, just that it would run poorly.
I am out in the middle of the desert with the closest mechanic being 50 miles away. It will be towed this Saturday 1/5/22 to the shop and get worked on. I'm just trying to get an idea of what's going on and if anyone has any advice or previous experience with something like this. Do you believe that a quart over would destroy the engine after driving for 60, 70 miles?
Thank you for taking the time to read, and especially reply!

-Erik

Did you check the code? After you check it then clear the codes so you know if you fixed it and caused another problem. I havent seen one not start being over filled but i also havent seen it overfilled by 1+ quart. I have seen engines blow out the mains and even start burning oil as it gets past the rings but those still ran. The oil should be sorted once you changed it.
You need to read the codes before throwing parts into it. Even with a bluetooth reader and google or write the codes here so you know whats wrong.

Thank you much for responding, and yea, I've been trying to get a hold of a code reader out here. Living in the middle of nowhere is not so great when it comes to car trouble. Can't seem to find anyone so far with a code reader. But I will definitely update with the codes ASAP! Again, thank you much!

Amazon has some bluetooth readers. Elm327 i think. Use your phone with torque app and it will read codes and you can even set it up for some real time gauges if you need to. Helpful when driving for things like temp and oil pressure.
It should be enough to help you in this situation and if i recall its fairly inexpensive. That app is free but you can upgrade for more $$

Amazon has some bluetooth readers. Elm327 i think. Use your phone with torque app and it will read codes and you can even set it up for some real time gauges if you need to. Helpful when driving for things like temp and oil pressure.
It should be enough to help you in this situation and if i recall its fairly inexpensive. That app is free but you can upgrade for more $$
Make sure the ELM327 you get is certified to work with Forscan. Not all of them are.

The elms that pop up that work with forscan all seem to have a USB but no Bluetooth from I'm seeing. I'll do further research, but thanks for the heads up.

If your needs are modest, then you don't need a FORScan-capable dongle. I use the free Torque Lite app with my $15 Bluetooth adapter and it works well. That said, a buddy of mine has FORScan and I think he's pleased with it.

Thats what i use too. I dont need anything more than that for a daily n/a car.
Take the $15 gamble and try the elm. If you want more then get the Forscan later. But at least the $15 one will read your codes and give you some feedback on engine vitals to get you back up and running

It would be great to have for future use. This has definitely given me a scare. I love my car, and would really like to see it go for 300,000. So I'll be taking your advice guys, and I'll update with what the mechanic says this Saturday. :)

Did you check the code? After you check it then clear the codes so you know if you fixed it and caused another problem. I havent seen one not start being over filled but i also havent seen it overfilled by 1+ quart. I have seen engines blow out the mains and even start burning oil as it gets past the rings but those still ran. The oil should be sorted once you changed it.
You need to read the codes before throwing parts into it. Even with a bluetooth reader and google or write the codes here so you know whats wron

Finally took it in to mechanic, turns out timing belt broke and bent valves, my question is, is it worth the repair and or new engine? 2000+ in costs

Isn't the FSDE a non-interference engine? As in the open valves do not make contact with piston?

@oeroko Did you see the bent valves for yourself or took the mechanics word on face value?

Finally took it in to mechanic, turns out timing belt broke and bent valves, my question is, is it worth the repair and or new engine? 2000+ in costs

I don't know, but you can definitely break a T-belt and not have engine damage.

Isn't the FSDE a non-interference engine? As in the open valves do not make contact with piston?

@oeroko Did you see the bent valves for yourself or took the mechanics word on face value?

Yes.
All FSDE engines are Non-Interference engines from the factory, but they can evolve into interference engines with hard driving and environmental conditions.

I did not see the bent valves. Is it not a thing that happens when the timing belt is out of commission?

You may have bent valves because of the over-fill, but if a new T-belt wasn't installed for the compression test, and your valve timing was way off, you would have bad compression.

Make sure that a new T-belt was properly installed and timed before saying goodbye to your engine.

Thread 'Protege Timing Belt Change (How-To)' Guide - Protege Timing Belt Change (How-To)

Last edited:
your mechanic just ASSumed it bent the valves... it's very unlikely it broke, and he's just trying to scam you... it's not a honda... just pay for a new belt and motor on... it'll be fine

I don't know, but you can definitely break a T-belt and not have engine damage.

Yes.
All FSDE engines are Non-Interference engines from the factory, but they can evolve into interference engines with hard driving and environmental conditions.

You may have bent valves because of the over-fill, but if a new T-belt wasn't installed for the compression test, and your valve timing was way off, you would have bad compression.

Make sure that a new T-belt was properly installed and timed before saying goodbye to your engine.

Thread 'Protege Timing Belt Change (How-To)' Guide - Protege Timing Belt Change (How-To)
very unlikely to happen unless over revved, but there's other broken things to worry about at that point

stop with the "can evolve" FUD nonsense if you don't know what you're talking about

stop with the "can evolve" FUD nonsense if you don't know what you're talking about

There have been a few people who have bent their valves and I don't believe that there was any over revving involved.

When I bought my car in 2009 I looked into a new timing belt and all the suppliers listed our engine as an interference engine, so I changed my belt right away.

In an effort to see if our engine is an interference engine, I cut the timing belt on my parts car and put a drill on the crankshaft, then I slowly rotated each cam shaft and there was no contact.

The only thing that I could think of that could explain how some engines could bend valves is if the connecting rods were worn from poor maintenance and hard driving ?

Thread 'Is The FS Engine An Interference Engine ??? ... Well It Could BE !!!' Is The FS Engine An Interference Engine ??? ... Well It Could BE !!!

Ive snapped a belt before foot to the floor shifting 1-2 and the motor was fine. There is a good chance your motor is ok but no way of knowing without trying so..

CTt3P5 was one of those people who bent a valve when his timing belt snapped.

I did open the engine on my parts car to investigate and remove a piston.

IMG-20180621-145451.jpg
IMG-20190408-144802.jpg
IMG-20190417-112318-1.jpg
20190529-194709.jpg
IMG-20190417-111805.jpg
IMG-20190417-112016.jpg
IMG-20190417-112318.jpg
IMG_20220303_085811.jpg
Screenshot_20211012-200701_Samsung Internet.jpg

Back