Car stuck at 3000rpm for a while?

sodasui

2020 CX-5 Sport AWD Jet Black Mica
HI all

[Model: 2020 CX-5 Sport]

Was driving mountain road, one I usually drive which is full of ups and downs and tight turns. I like driving them fast (but not as fast as the pickup trucks) which means my car is doing a lot of accelerating and decelerating in short speeds. I dont do hard brakes or slam the gas, though so don't consider it to be that rough driving. And it's a well paved mountain road, not dirt, so it's not harming the suspension or tires a lot.

Anyway an unusual thing happened today, during a downhill I could feel the engine making a louder humming/whirring noise and I could feel a definite vibration through my foot on the brake pedal. Checked the dash and noticed that I was 'stuck' on 3000 rpm, even though my foot was off the gas (when the needle normally jumps back to 1) , and even for a bit when I was braking, the car was stuck on 3000 rpm. Sport mode was never turned on. After about 30 secs of this, the vibration stopped, the the loud humming stopped, and the needle went back down, everything was normal again.

After pulling into a vista point, I turned off the car and noticed that even though the engine was off, the cooling fans were whirring. I drive mountain roads every week and in the same fashion (35-55 mph) but at 20,000 miles in (bought new), it's the first time I'm hearing this cooling fan after engine off, or experiencing any of the phenomena I described above.

Does anyone have any clue what causes this, or have experienced this themselves? I don't want to break down in the night mountain roads, and when researching into this car one of the great things people said was that it had practically zero engine and transmission issues. Would appreciate if anyone who has more experience on this could provide some insight. Thank you!

HI all

[Model: 2020 CX-5 Sport]

After pulling into a vista point, I turned off the car and noticed that even though the engine was off, the cooling fans were whirring. I drive mountain roads every week and in the same fashion (35-55 mph) but at 20,000 miles in (bought new), it's the first time I'm hearing this cooling fan after engine off, or experiencing any of the phenomena I described above.

This is normal for most modern vehicles.

In the old days, the fans shutoff when car was shutoff leaving hotspots.

After the car is shut off, the coolant is no longer moving, today's engines run very hot and the fan runs for several minutes to keep providing cooling.

Am not sure how you went 20k miles without noticing the fan running after engine shutdown, but, regardless, it is normal.

if the fan isn't still running then you should be more concerned.

Last edited:
Sounds like "engine braking".
Yes, engine braking.

However you might want to get other opinions.

Also if the vibrations happened while your foot was on brake then might want to check for warped brake rotors. You did say you felt the vibrations when your foot was on brake pedal. Sounds like, at the very least, you need to get rotors turned or if they are warped, then get new rotors.

Last edited:
Has happened to me coming off a hi bridge in Florida. I couldn't understand what was going on until I remembered engine braking. Ed

I think your car is operating normally. Mazdas do that (hold the gear) when you're driving at a sporting pace on twisty/mountain roads with lots of acceleration and deceleration.

Also normal for the fan to continue to run as well.

Same thing happens here on my 2019 NA engine (same engine as your Sport). If I drive spiritedly, the cooling fans do come on and stay on even with the engine off.

Back