Car & Driver magazine's long-term test of 2015 Mazda 3

:
San Diego, CA
:
2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-mazda-3-25l-manual-hatchback-long-term-test-update-review

Notable quotes:

The calm, smooth quiet of the powertrain at freeway speeds is in the same league as a luxury car.

This car is so calm-so relaxing and enjoyable to drive without much effort-it's almost meditative.

The 3's infotainment control knob makes easy the tasks that are infuriatingly complex in competitors. The tach and speed readout is a model of readability.

If I were forced to wed a machine in some dystopian future, I'd marry the infotainment knob. It feels better than the twirly widget of the same function in a Rolls-Royce Wraith.

As it nears the end of its stay (40,000 miles), the 3 still feels like a new car in almost every way. The ride is sublime, the interior has held up well, and the infotainment system is free of quirks.

...one of the few cars on the market today that is worth more than it costs. You can buy plenty of larger or more-powerful cars, or those with more-prestigious badges. But spend what you will, it's hard to buy any more greatness than this.

(Car and Driver October 2016 issue)

I have a 2014 Manual Hatchback, and I have to say it definitely deserves the #1 rating in the compact car category that car and driver gave it.

I have driven about 66000kms (41000 miles) and really have no complaints, whether driving in the city, on the highway, or on those fun curvy mountain roads it seems to have been designed for. Even with my aggressive driving the thing is so good on gas, last 3 months i have averaged 29.8mpg and thats with the factory roof rack, an aftermarket cargo box on the roof and a hitch mounted bike rack that has a bike on it about half the time.

I have a 2014 Manual Hatchback, and I have to say it definitely deserves the #1 rating in the compact car category that car and driver gave it.

I have driven about 66000kms (41000 miles) and really have no complaints, whether driving in the city, on the highway, or on those fun curvy mountain roads it seems to have been designed for. Even with my aggressive driving the thing is so good on gas, last 3 months i have averaged 29.8mpg and thats with the factory roof rack, an aftermarket cargo box on the roof and a hitch mounted bike rack that has a bike on it about half the time.

That is impressive, especially after aggressive driving. We have 3 Mazdas in our family and love them all.

That is impressive, especially after aggressive driving. We have 3 Mazdas in our family and love them all.

I usually drive about 120-130kph highway depending on the speed limit (usually only 100-110) which translates into 75-80mph, so my mileage is pretty good i think!

Back