Car and Driver

Mazda and Car and Driver been in a secret affair for years. I've never tabulated, but anecdotally no other mainstream brand wins their comparos as much. And I noticed that before owing one.

This isn't just Car and Driver, this is true of motor trend as well, and I am sure many other car magazines. The reality is, car journalists are not your average everyday driver and most of them value about the same things, which is the pleasure of driving. Mazda very often tops the list of best cars, because they often achieves that fun to drive element better than anyone else at that price point. Car journalists love them, but it doesn't translate in better sales because regular car drivers don't care as much for the fun to drive aspects and have other priorities (interior space, price, gadgets, perceived reliability,etc). This is just like wagons or manual transmissions, car journalists loves them, but they don't turn into sales.

The tiguan is an interesting one. When it first came out, was middle road in reviews. Lost it's driver edge compared to last gen. Surprised it posted #2 from anyone let alone C and D. I'll need to check this article out.

I agree. It use to say the the tiguan had lost its nimble and fun European feel, and now it makes it number #2. I wonder if VW made changes for 2020, or if it just ranked very differently this time around. It was on my short list, but I never got to drive one.

To me what hurts the CX-5 is that it is a bit too small compared to the competition, if it was just a bit bigger it would be a no-brainer for non-hybrid in my mind.

But the RAV-4 hybrid is what is selling like hot potatoes right now, there is a long wait list to get one, and forget even trying to negotiate on the price.

Also of note they got a fairly decent 0-60 time out of the NA with the sprint doing 7.9 seconds to 60.

This may be because they are using the 1 foot roll-out for their 0-60 time. Although other magazines are also using it. https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a30085446/acceleration-testing-procedure-change-rollout/

Back