Can i put an Air filter on my Valve cover for my 2003 Mazda Protege 5?

M2P503

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Hey guys,
Well just like the title says can i put an Air filter on my Valve cover for my 2003 Mazda Protege 5? Will it cause engine problems? I already did it but i was wondering is that for Turbo's only? (scratch)(boom02)

if you're talking about a breather filter, yes you can. It wont cause any problems but you might not pass smog inspection depending on your state laws.

You can... (i did) because the PCV was clogging with oil - BUT after further research - you really want to just use an oil catch can to maintain proper pressure in the crankcase. it affects the piston sealing function.

If you are doing it for aesthetics - don't.

You can... (i did) because the PCV was clogging with oil - BUT after further research - you really want to just use an oil catch can to maintain proper pressure in the crankcase. it affects the piston sealing function.

This ^

What do you mean a Oil catch can? Also how does a breather affect the Piston seal functioning? For better or worse?

Thanks but what do you mean for Aesthetics?

if you're talking about a breather filter, yes you can. It wont cause any problems but you might not pass smog inspection depending on your state laws.
Thanks Brian i appreciate it man thats what i did i just installed a breather filter on the Valve cover and i just put a 1/2 bolt into the 1/2 black vacuum hose that it used to connect to

What do you mean a Oil catch can? Also how does a breather affect the Piston seal functioning? For better or worse?

Crankcase ventilation is needed because trace amounts of expansion 'blows by' the piston compression rings. As the piston rings wear, more pressure bleeds past them. This allows vapors to travel down into the rotating assembly, and it needs somewhere to go...or the pressure would simply keep building until a seal is destroyed somewhere, as well as preventing proper oiling. The mandated factory systems use oil pressure to push this gas back into the head, where it is bled off by a one-way pcv valve that works in conjunction with a separate vacuum line to the intake system, which mounts to the top and side of the valve cover respectively.

The engine is designed for a specific amount of PCV pressure...but the real reason is it keeps 'dirty' oil from escaping into the ambient surroundings...while its great for the environment, its not ideal for combustion as your introducing a third 'fuel' back into the chambers...albeit trace amounts...

a breather filter is the cheap way to prevent it from getting back into the intake system, but most state laws don't allow their use...these filters are also iffy in that they don't allow the proper vacuum to siphon out the vapors to begin with (you're breaking part of the vacuum connection altogether when installing one, its debatable on these engines though as there is extremely little blow-by to begin with)...an oil catch can goes inline between the head and intake plumbing, and uses some valves and gravity to allow the liquid oil to collect in a container, and let the clean vapors back into the engine...keeping the emissions side of the system intact, maintaining proper PCV pressure/vacuum and also preventing the oil from re-entering the chambers.

Last edited:
Installshield 2,
That was a good explanation, I never fully understood what an oil catch can did.

Just for clarity's sake, to replace the PCV valve with an oil catch can, you would put a metal hose fitting where the PCV valve goes, attach one end of a hose to the metal fitting and the other end into the oil catch can inlet, then the hose that went into the PCV valve goes into the oil catch can outlet.

Last edited:
He meant... If you are doing it to impress your friends with the "Coolness Of The Engine Bay'

Oh ok that's what he meant no im not an 18 year old kid lol so i wouldn't being doing it to impress my friends im way past that stage in my life but thanks for clearing that up.

Crankcase ventilation is needed because trace amounts of expansion 'blows by' the piston compression rings. As the piston rings wear, more pressure bleeds past them. This allows vapors to travel down into the rotating assembly, and it needs somewhere to go...or the pressure would simply keep building until a seal is destroyed somewhere, as well as preventing proper oiling. The mandated factory systems use oil pressure to push this gas back into the head, where it is bled off by a one-way pcv valve that works in conjunction with a separate vacuum line to the intake system, which mounts to the top and side of the valve cover respectively.

The engine is designed for a specific amount of PCV pressure...but the real reason is it keeps 'dirty' oil from escaping into the ambient surroundings...while its great for the environment, its not ideal for combustion as your introducing a third 'fuel' back into the chambers...albeit trace amounts...

a breather filter is the cheap way to prevent it from getting back into the intake system, but most state laws don't allow their use...these filters are also iffy in that they don't allow the proper vacuum to siphon out the vapors to begin with (you're breaking part of the vacuum connection altogether when installing one, its debatable on these engines though as there is extremely little blow-by to begin with)...an oil catch can goes inline between the head and intake plumbing, and uses some valves and gravity to allow the liquid oil to collect in a container, and let the clean vapors back into the engine...keeping the emissions side of the system intact, maintaining proper PCV pressure/vacuum and also preventing the oil from re-entering the chambers.
Thanks alot man i appreciate that this was really a great explanation and it makes alot of sense to ive never met any one who has an Oil catch can but then again i guess something has to catch the oil if you did have that kind of set up.

Oh ok that's what he meant no im not an 18 year old kid lol so i wouldn't being doing it to impress my friends im way past that stage in my life but thanks for clearing that up.

I'm pretty much still a kid and I wouldn't do that, it's there for a reason. If you still have the stock intake or a bung on an after market one just run the line to it like its supposed to be. Honestly if you just want it to look good use a red vaccume line it actually looks better than the filter and much cleaner

Back