Cam Gears?

no i positive that it was the cams that i heard ....u ondt think u can hear the lobs open up a t certain rpm's?....yea u can...i seen his engine bay and no turbo at all...there is a very diffrent sound diffence btwn a turbo and hearing cams on a car....i think he was PUSHING 200hp...only cause he eat up a SPEC-V...so he maybe around that...hey who knows...hopefully he willcome and check us out...

Kooldino said:
so ch, how do they work?
You loosen the six bolts and adjust the cam timing with the marks etched on the gears. Each mark equals 2 degrees I found this out today once wiht a protractor and another by Mark. With these you can optimize the point in which your cams open and close and how much overlap you want to have. If creates a whole new level of tuning for our cars.

chdesign said:

You loosen the six bolts and adjust the cam timing with the marks etched on the gears. Each mark equals 2 degrees I found this out today once wiht a protractor and another by Mark. With these you can optimize the point in which your cams open and close and how much overlap you want to have. If creates a whole new level of tuning for our cars.

Well, I meant how WELL do they look, but good reply nonetheless.

OHHH ok well they look awesome you can sort see in the pics but they don't do them justice. They are very well machined and everything is there that should be. Hope that answers your question.

BryanPendleton said:

Are you sure you didn't get things mixed up. Retarding the intake and advancing the exhaust is just the opposite of what you need to do to gain high end power. You almost always advance the intake and retard the exhaust. This helps "breathing" at high rpms, by allowing the motor to inject air a little early, and expelling exhaust a little late, effectively lengthing the power stroke which is tiny fractions of a second as is, at high rpms. You might want to double check. I would hate for you to have to waste a bunch of time on the dyno fiddle-farting around with retarded intake and advance exhaust.

Enjoy,
I did get the mixed up Bryan I asked Mark again and he said eh told me incorrect I need to advance the intake cam and retard the exhaust cam. so we will see what happens

Kooldino said:

Well, I meant how WELL do they look, but good reply nonetheless.

Haha...did you write that wrong again kooldino? I thought you were asking" How well do they work"? But maybe not :D

I don't think chdesign has them installed yet if thats your question.
Just ignore me if I'm way off base here and blame it on the (beer) (drinks)

No they aren't installed yet neither are my cams pistons or any of that jazz i'm still waiting on rings and rod bearings so i can do it all at once in one fail swoop plus i have to put a couple things back on my car to take it to mazda to get my O2's replaced under warrenty that my turbo burnt up but they don't know that and they won't know that.

chdesign said:

Let me think about this. Two crank revolutions equal one cam revolution, so 2deg on the crank = 1deg on the cam. If each mark is two degrees, is that in crank degrees or cam degrees?

I don't know what the "standard" is. You hear people all the time, saying "I advanced my intake cam x degrees". Question is, is that cranks degress or cam degrees.

Typically when someone says 'I advanced my cam X degrees' they mean cam degrees. You install the cam gears and timing system 'straight up' and then play with the retarding and advancing from the cams standpoint or 'cam degrees'. The thing is to make sure that whoever is advising you on advancing or retarding the cams is talking cam degrees.

Back