Calibration after windshield replacment

ddingle

:
2020 CX5 Sig
I just had the windshield replaced on my 2015 CX 5 with tech package. Safelite replaced the glass and after some discussion determined that I didn't need to recalibrate the sensor (laser) (and save $300)for the collision avoidance device. This device is built in or directly behind the windshield. I have some recollection where Mazda required re-calibration with new glass. Can anyone confirm one way or the other? Thanks

I just had the windshield replaced on my 2015 CX 5 with tech package. Safelite replaced the glass and after some discussion determined that I didn't need to recalibrate the sensor (laser) (and save $300)for the collision avoidance device. This device is built in or directly behind the windshield. I have some recollection where Mazda required re-calibration with new glass. Can anyone confirm one way or the other? Thanks

Don't know about your '15, but Safelite recently recalibrated all of the sensors when replacing the cracked windshield on my '19 Signature.
There was no additional charge indicated on the invoice, though I paid only the Comprehensive deductable for the entire process.

Don't know about your '15, but Safelite recently recalibrated all of the sensors when replacing the cracked windshield on my '19 Signature.
There was no additional charge indicated on the invoice, though I paid only the Comprehensive deductable for the entire process.

See if you can get the free glass replacement policy. It costs me $3/mo or so more.

I guess I am not too surprised,but now I notice that the rain sensing wipers aren't working at all. I haven't tested the auto-light turn on feature,but I suspect that won't be working either as I understand it uses the same sensor. In searching other threads I found that the OEM windshield should be used as it has new mounting material for the sensors included. I am bringing the CX 5 back to safelite tomorrow am.

I guess I am not too surprised,but now I notice that the rain sensing wipers aren't working at all. I haven't tested the auto-light turn on feature,but I suspect that won't be working either as I understand it uses the same sensor. In searching other threads I found that the OEM windshield should be used as it has new mounting material for the sensors included. I am bringing the CX 5 back to safelite tomorrow am.

Did Safelite end up calibrating the sensors etc? - I just dropped of my vehicle (2016 CX-5 w/ tech-pack) this morning and the Safelite technician said that I don't need calibration.
- I called Mazda Dealership they said the vehicle might need calibration.

Did Safelite end up calibrating the sensors etc? - I just dropped of my vehicle (2016 CX-5 w/ tech-pack) this morning and the Safelite technician said that I don't need calibration.
- I called Mazda Dealership they said the vehicle might need calibration.
I ended up with another new windshield. After the initial problem with the rain sensors I took it back to safelite and they "fixed" the problem. I could smell glue in the cabin after the "fix". Soon after the wipers started coming on when it wasn't raining and the light sensor for the headlights stopped working as well. Tired of Safelite, I took it to the Mazda dealer to see what was going on. They found the sensor was cracked and the housing clips were broken as well.The damage probably occurred during the windshield replacement. $75 charge from the dealer. I then called Safelite and they send one of their managers over to my office to look at the situation. He offered to replace the broken components and the windshield as well. He even picked up the car and dropped it off when complete. The Mazda dealer was pretty sure that I wouldn't need calibration as he gets calls every week about calibration and everytime they check the calibration it doesn't need it. Everything is working fine now. A bit of an ordeal however.

Dealer finance manager wanted about $1000 for protection for windshield recal. He stated only dealer can do it. Sounded like BS to me.

Body shop changed mine, and now the rain sensing will not work. I read that it could be the sensor not seating on the glass correctly, or it may possibly be that they didn't replace the windshield with a Mazda OEM one(uhm)

Body shop changed mine, and now the rain sensing will not work. I read that it could be the sensor not seating on the glass correctly, or it may possibly be that they didn't replace the windshield with a Mazda OEM one(uhm)
The Safelite windshield was fine,but in the process of installing it they damaged the light/rain sensor which is around $300. They initially tried to make it work without replacing,but it just got worse over a day or 2. As mentioned they eventually replaced the windshield and sensor at no charge.

The Safelite windshield was fine,but in the process of installing it they damaged the light/rain sensor which is around $300. They initially tried to make it work without replacing,but it just got worse over a day or 2. As mentioned they eventually replaced the windshield and sensor at no charge.

Thanks for the follow-up! I don't think it's standard practice for them to test the rain sensing element after a swap (I believe the sensor you had trouble with was the collision avoidance). I'm due to go back to the shop next week, hopefully they can get it taken care of and actually swap for a factory windshield. I've heard some people mention they didn't like their OEM ones, but I'm ok with it.

There are instructions on the Mazda website for doing the recalibration.
Any chance you got a link for those instructions? I just had my windshield replaced on my 16.5 cx-5 gt with tech and I can tell my smart city brakes aren't working like they used to.. they used to activate when leaving my complex due to a slow lifting gate.

Searching the internet yielded no recal instructions [emoji2369]

Back