buying used 2006 Mazda RX 8

Alright like the title says I am looking at buying a used 2006 mazda rx 8. the vehicle only has 29,000 miles on it. It checked autocheck and carfax just fine, but I have a couple questions, I keep hearing about thise horrible 420f(ithink) motor issue. is this preventable? and it 5w30 ok to use(void warranty) or is 5w20 all that is suppose to go in? I love how the car drove and I love how it looks, but it will be my DD and I want it to last! thanks for any help.

use a heavier oil like 5w-30, and premix, I use Idumitsu,

and don't be afraid to get it to go to 9000rpms, and daily 6k rpms

guys using this setup have reported over 100,000 miles without engine issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
use a heavier oil like 5w-30, and premix, I use Idumitsu,

and don't be afraid to get it to go to 9000rpms, and daily 6k rpms

guys using this setup have reported over 100,000 miles without engine issues.

I Agree bedwards6954.

Just make sure to read the sticky -RX-8 Basic Maintenance Information (suggested interval), and -RX-8 FAQs & New User Guide *Read through this before you post a question!*

-I hope you have as much fun as I have with my 8.

Join on rx8club.com and read up the stickies. You will learn more than you want about these cars. I loved mine and it was greddy turbocharged. They are definitely awesome cars to have.

I bought it on Monday morning, and I have been dailying rx8club.com, I have heard and read mixed reviews about premixing, I dont think I am going to. 5w30 royal purple is the oil I have heard the best things about, so... I am just trying to enjoy the car and not feed into the motor death hype it has. The car is a blast and I am glad I got it.

I do royal purple myself,

there are 4 oil squirter inside the rotors housing, but they only squirt oil to the side seals, this is why mazda started replacing motors because the apex seal did not get enough lubrication and started failing. so in the 09-current model rx-8, Mazda added two more oil squirter's these two squirt oil to the apex seal. this is why I premix in my 04, to make sure the apex seal is properly lubricated. i too have heard of fuel pump filter issues, but in my mind, I would rather replace a fuel pump or filter then a whole motor....

I've had both engine issues & fuel pump issues. I'm using 10w40 Castrol GTX on my current engine. The oem fuel pump had quit being useful twice for me. It never left me stranded, it just over heated and I couldn't make good headway. If the pump does start to go bad, switch over to the BHR unit. It isn't worth it unless you actually start to have a problem.

I've had both engine issues & fuel pump issues. I'm using 10w40 Castrol GTX on my current engine. The oem fuel pump had quit being useful twice for me. It never left me stranded, it just over heated and I couldn't make good headway. If the pump does start to go bad, switch over to the BHR unit. It isn't worth it unless you actually start to have a problem.

I as well have had both engine issues and had rotaryresurrection rebuild my motor, I also started using 10w40 Castrol GTX since my rebuild. The 5w20 mazda tells you to use is crap, don't use it. Use something thicker. My fuel pump is screwing up as well, it overheated on me while I was driving the dragon. Ordered the BHR unit 2 days ago and am sure I will love the quality seeing as BHR makes quality parts.

Latest posts

Back