Bumper guard obstructing power lift gate

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
I liked this bumper guard, but when I inquired the vendor as to why is says *excludes models with power lift gate, they responded "
it will NOT fit if you have the power lift gate, the sensors detect it as an obstruction and will not close properly."

Do you see anything in this that would make it different than any other bumper guard? Yes it hangs down over the lip? Is it thicker/taller than others? As Vinnie Barbarino would say "I'm so confused"

Any thoughts on what part of the power lift gate sensors would prevent this from working?

Rbp005 is amazing i have it but my car isnt a powered liftgate so cant comment maybe cutting parts of it near the latch might work

the question is: why or how would a bumper cover (scuff protection) on the rear bumper interfere with the power lift gate. @hal2 is looking at a specific bumper cover and the vendor states it is NOT compatible with the power lift gate because of the sensors. OP has a power lift gate and it works correctly.

If you guys have used the one mentioned in my original post with your power liftgate, and it seems to work, I'm going to go ahead and order it. I'm looking for something all black to the seems to be about the only one

That's the one on walmart.com but it doesn't mention power liftgate. I wonder if returning would be easier?
It does have the lip, which is where most of the nicks are on my bumper.

I also noticed they have bumper guards for a number of makes. I wouldn't be surprised if complaints about issues with a power gate on a different make prompted them to put the notice on all of them.

That's the one on walmart.com but it doesn't mention power liftgate. I wonder if returning would be easier?
It does have the lip, which is where most of the nicks are on my bumper.
"

I saw the Walmart website: "This product fits the following: 2013-2020 Mazda CX5 (without power liftgate)"

Last edited:
I also noticed they have bumper guards for a number of makes. I wouldn't be surprised if complaints about issues with a power gate on a different make prompted them to put the notice on all of them.

Actually the Amazon site list each one separate and it does list model by model if it works with liftgate. But unless it's super thick I can't see the interference.

Hmmm. Makes it kind of tough. They say it won't work so it kind if puts you out on a limb. I guess the OEM stainless style doesn't have the lip. Could that be the issue?
If I'm not careful dragging stuff in or out of the back the nicks generally end up right on the edge of the bumper.

In case anyone comes across this thread. According to some Amazon reviews it it nearly too thick and is catching on the trunk lid even with some manual liftgates

The search for all black continues....

I'm probably going to the ebay chinese pess-on plastic type. I'm okay with that.

Yeah, it doesn't say anything about the power liftgate. Looks pretty good , too.
Kind of long shipping time, ships from 广州市, 广东省.

My opinion, most of these aftermarket stick-ons do not improve the car's look. I did see one aftermarket steel trim that does look good and isn't priced too bad. The $650 Mazda plastic bumper trim is the most outrageously priced dealer add on I've ever seen. The money might be better spent on a hitch which is a very useful function for hitch steps (stainless steel bumpers), cargo carriers, or transporting cargo in a trailer. JMO.

I just installed the guard I got thru Amazon. We're headed out camping in a week and I wanted to make sure that we didn't damage the bumper paint. I think it looks just fine. Lift gate works, too!

Bumper Guard Full Rear_20200613.JPG

Bumber Guard Closeup_20200613.JPG

Bumper Guard Side_20200613.JPG

That looks decent. I use a blanket to cover my stuff (empty Rotopax, tools, etc). in the hatch. If I need to load/unload cargo that could scratch the paint, I just pull it out to cover the bumper.

Last edited:
Sounds like the bumper guard interferes with any model.
I wonder if the double sided foam tape is too thick.

Could some kind of glue or other adhesive work?

In case anyone comes across this thread. According to some Amazon reviews it it nearly too thick and is catching on the trunk lid even with some manual liftgates

The search for all black continues....

Back