Built 2003 Protege ES Turbo, clean title. Needs work!

Serious buyers only, I'm giving you guys a chance before it goes up on craigslist. I'm asking $8,000, cash talks. I will not ship this car. It must be picked up in person, or at least looked at in person. I can get a trailer and drive a short distance for drop off or a transfer.

Well it's been a while since I've been on here. And that is because I'm a full blown family man now. I have a 3 yr old and another one in the oven. So I haven't had a lot of time for the protege. It breaks my heart to do this because the car has been really good to me over the years. I have a lot of great memories with this car. But it's even worse to see it every day sitting in my garage like it's in a retirement home just waiting for it's death. And I don't have the time to get it right when it's a pretty fast car. So I would like to give someone else with the time to care for it a chance to take her in.

Keep in mind it's an 11yr old car with 112,670 miles. I purchased it in 2006 with about 35,000 miles, and it has been daily driven up until August 2013, when I blew the trans. Actually I grenaded 3rd gear 8 months prior, and kept driving it until the pieces finally locked up the shift forks. Now it will only engage 1st and 5th. So it needs a trans, preferably not a stock one. With the exception of the engine internals, and the alarm install, and alignments, no one else has turned a wrench on this car but me.

Completely built Engine from Speedcircuit, twice actually. Those who have followed me on here know I had a tuning mishap and burned up some valves and one of the pistons. so back the engine went, for another rebuild and came back better! I spent a lot of time talking to Dino about my engine, he should remember me and can vouch for the work. Engine has around 25,000 miles on it.

Stock crank
Mazda bearings
ARP main studs
Pauter rods
Arias 8.5:1 pistons (should be .030 over)
Cometic Head gasket
ARP head studs
speedcircuit stage 2 P&P head with custom valves (inconel exhaust, stainless steel intake) supertech valesprings.
Integral billet stage 2 turbo cams (not speedcircuit spec, the original) Integral is out of business so these cams are hard to find. but they are insanely good cams on this setup.
626 intake manifold (factory no VTCS)

only used Mobil1 0w40 and M1 filters, changed every 3,000 miles.

HiBoost turbo kit (50,000 miles on it)
T3/T04E master power journal bearing turbo (still spools good and hard)
tial 38mm wastegate
synapse synchronic BOV (I drilled and tapped for larger screws, synapse eventually updated them in the same fashion)
blow through MAF

corksport catless 80mm exhaust, polyurethane bushings

work emotion xt7 wheels 18x7.5 +48 (they have some rock chips and a few spots of bubbles in the finish. i did a good job of not curbing them. there are some minor nicks and scrapes on the rims of the wheels, one wheel had a nice spot from hitting a lift arm at the shop.
tires are recent kumho exsta 4x 225/40R18, 2 tires are about 6/32, the other 2 are about 8/32

bc racing coilovers
awr adjustable swaybar links front and rear
MSP front and rear sway bars, MSP rear subframe, axr clunk fix brackets

brake pads are 90% front and rear. with slotted Brembo rotors. I was able to turn them when I did the brake job. the pads are advance auto parts gold ceramic pads and no s*** these are actually good pads. we put them on everything. Plus my price is only $25 a set lol

STRI dsd gauges, boost, oil pressure, egt, fuel pressure. AEM uego wbo2, greddy profec bspec 2 ebc
mazdaspeed ECU running parallel with a megasquirt 2 DIY standalone. not a bad ecm for the money. the MS2 has it's own IAT and ECT sensors. I drilled and tapped the factory water outlet to add the GM ECT sensor for the MS2. that was a pain in the ass, I used JBweld (normal welding of cast aluminum is not very easy or clean,) as a filler to add the material i needed to accept the sensor, this took 3 days alone to shape what i wanted inside. also added a little on the outside to increase the wall thickness. then drilled it and tapped it.

plus the stock wheels with 2 decent tires and a bunch of random parts.

well that's the major stuff off the top of my head. anyone seriously interested can call me for questions (PM me) or stop buy to take a look. I am attaching a couple photos to prove I do in fact have ownership of the car. check my car domain for more older photos.

Thank you,
Andrew

20140223_023336.jpg
20140223_023344.jpg
20140223_023645.jpg
20140223_030955.jpg

Last edited:
So the car needs a new trans to be driveable? GLWS I am curious how much power it makes as well

So the car needs a new trans to be driveable? GLWS I am curious how much power it makes as well

I'm estimating 325 - 350 being conservative. I was running 22lbs for a while until I broke 3rd. Then turned it down to 18. The cams really open that engine up. I set the rev limiter to 8,000rpm because it still pulls hard up top.

Damn you're close. sh I could afford it. I'll let the word out up here to the import crowd near New Bern area.

Thanks man....

I'm still on the fence, if I come across a built transmission for a good price before I sell I'm going to take down the for sale.

Back