Bug shield

cx9er

:
2011 CX-9 Grand Touring
Anyone have the Mazda bug shield on their 9? If so how do you like it?

Thanks

I have it and like it. Looks good and found it effective.

A piece of installation advice: check the paper template's hole pattern against the deflector's real life position on the hood before fixing plastic the bumps. It was 1" off on my kit.

I've tried a bug deflector on another Mazda in the past and took it off. The problems that I ran into are that (a) dirt would accumulate under the deflector and I expected it to start scratching the paint under the deflector with time; and b) I couldn't wash the car under the deflector properly, again increasing likelyhood of scratches. Was I too anal? What does everyone think about those two issues for bug deflectors in general and the CX-9 design in particular?

Clear Bra

I would recommend getting a clear bra.... I just had mines applied to my car. full bumper, hood, door cups, door edges. I cant even tell that its on. if anyone in washington state needs this done I know someone you does it for cheap.

Attachments

• IMG_0412.JPG
    IMG_0412.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 890
I would recommend getting a clear bra.... I just had mines applied to my car. full bumper, hood, door cups, door edges. I cant even tell that its on. if anyone in washington state needs this done I know someone you does it for cheap.

I will probably have it done to my CX-9 when I get it. How much did you pay for yours?

We have the bug deflector on our CX-9 and love it. I was really easy to install, and not too expensive. We just took our vehicle on a 1300 mile round trip two weekends ago, and it did a pretty good job with the bugs.

Here is a picture:

IMG_1767.jpg

I have bought laser cut 3M clear bra solutions and applied them to two previous cars. The flatter the parts, the easier it goes. The only places I had trouble was the 3D curve of the back of the mirrors. Haven't looked into the price for a kit for the CX-9. I believe I did X-Pel before. Good product. (Good to do to your iPod too.)

Got the bug shield after 1 trip from So Cal to Houston. Now after 2 more round trips from Houston to So Cal, bug shield still just works. Down side is that you can't go through an auto car wash with it on. When I'm around town, I just remove it. Getting ready for another trip to So Cal so bug shield goes back on. When I get back into town, I'm going to make the jump for the 3m bra. Not to replace, but to add to.
Cheers
Steve

I have taken the 9 thru the auto car wash many times and have had no problems with the bug shield. I think the manual says no auto car washes but means no auto car washes that use the brush type. The auto spray does just fine.

When I'm around town, I just remove it. Getting ready for another trip to So Cal so bug shield goes back on.

When you remove the bug shield, do you just leave the 4 bumpers on the hood? I just worried that they will come off without the shield in place. Does anyone know whether I can order more of the bumpers just in case?

16ue,
I am in Fremont, CA also.
I purchased a bug shield for my CX-9 and decided not to installed it since
wife does not like it. It is brand new, uninstalled.
You can pick it up for $30.
Best Price on the web is $39.6
(here: http://www.mazdaparts.org/macxhobugde.html)
Drop me a message if you're interested

I am looking for a shop in Phoenix valley or Tucson to get a clear bra on mine. I have it on my old Dodge Magnum and with 150,000 miles and too many car washes, it looks great and there is not a single paint defect where the bra is.

Hi there.. You've got a pretty good bug shield on your cx-9.. Where did you purchase it and for how much.. My old bug shield is chipping already. Too bad

Last edited:
Having purchased my bug shield and installed it myself, I just love how it looks. Yes, do not go through mechanical car washes-just hand washes! Some of the older mechanical type do a nice job of destroying add-on devices like this! By the way, the install took about twenty minutes and was real easy.

I've had my bug shield on for 2 years, have gone through all kinds of car washes, no problems whatsoever.

Bug deflector for 2010 CX-9

I have it and like it. Looks good and found it effective.

A piece of installation advice: check the paper template's hole pattern against the deflector's real life position on the hood before fixing plastic the bumps. It was 1" off on my kit.

I just bought one for my 2010 CX-9 and realized that I need to drilled he holes under my hood so they can accommodate the plastic plugs to secure the deflector. Is that really necessary??? Is that a good idea???

Thanks!

yes it is necessary although it really isn't that bad.
the holes are merely enlargements of the holes that are already there so you can use the mounting hardware from the bug shield.

really easy, tape your bit to make sure you don't go too far, then just debur the edges and pop in the new hardware.

printed directions are good so just follow along and you should be done in 20-30 min.

Back