Brown DRL lights?

bushidoboy

:
CX-5 GT
I was looking at my stock halogen DRLS (contemplating of getting LEDs still) and noticed the glass is turning brown. As everyone's, the vehicle is less than 1 year old. I'd like to say I'm an average driver who does mostly day time driving. So I dont think the DRLs are powered on for an outrageous amount of time, nor do I use the High Beams. I looked on other forums and people mentioned this and stated its "normal" for 9005 DRLs on other vehicles (honda, toyota, etc). No one said what causes it. Most stated to change to LEDs...Im just worried that the bulb might blow/burst in the housing. I hope that wont happen.

These 13 watt bulbs are some of the smallest I have seen, they look light a slightly larger flashlight bulb. They are not going to do much damage when they go and the most common failure is losing vacuum and then the filament breaking. The only real reason to get LEDs is that look way better.

The P13W DRL bulbs won't blow in the housing. Rarely does the glass break unless there is trauma or severe heat involved. If it really concerns you, remove the bulbs and wipe them clean (of any potential oil/grease).

Like Backlash said, the only reason to get LED's is for the DRL's to look better. You're going to have to shell out a bit more money for brighter LED's with more advanced diodes that put out more lumens. P13W isn't a popular size either, so you don't have much to choose from anyways. I recall VLED's having a few in stock.

Latest posts

Back