Broken PAR gear, again....

I never hear of anyone else breaking Par gears, I would have to say its your short gear ratio. Those gears should not break so easly. I would Get a new set of Par gears and sell your 1-4th gears. But make sure you get near stock, or longer gear ratio. Because that is way to short for a turbo application. the Tri-Point were not turbo'd cars.

The reason they're breaking is because they were the first few sets made for Tri-point, and you're right to say that those tr-point cars weren't turbo. PAR confirmed this over the phone with me several times. These gears would be really great for a NA car or ok for a lower power turbo, or any car looking to circuit race or autocross, especially autocross. But you're right that the ratio does a turbo car no justice, trust me.

Last edited:
I never hear of anyone else breaking Par gears, I would have to say its your short gear ratio. Those gears should not break so easly. I would Get a new set of Par gears and sell your 1-4th gears. But make sure you get near stock, or longer gear ratio. Because that is way to short for a turbo application. the Tri-Point were not turbo'd cars.

I don't have 3,500 for a new set of gears. Buying a new full set is my last and unlikeliest option.

How much HP you running? Best bet is to go to a junkyard and pick up a 2.0l Protege G Series Trans, while you take the one off you have and TAKE IT EASY, like really really easy on the stock trans, while you get gears from soemone and cryo treat them. And sell those PAR gears to someone that wnats them, cause its really really not for turbo applications. But if you need your car ASAP that is, if it isnt just take your trans out, wait for gears, cryo treat them, install them, sell par gears.

I have no clue how much power I have, never raced, never dynoed. This car is going to be sold after I fix this. I'm not cryo-treating anything. I'll put a stocker in, swap my lsd in and sell the car. I'm done. First $7,800 takes this car. I'm really still weighing out my options with how to approach the tranny. I'm not building it. Yea I know it's really not for turbo applications, I'm not the one who bought close ratio gears for this car. TRanny has been out for a week and is waiting for me to make a decision....

Gears are not the end all solution. Its well documented that the OEM bearing design leaves them starved of oil AND the shafts are spreading apart under high loading.

The ring gear and 5th gear having issues is strange, since they are on opposite sides of the case. Was the pinion gear damaged from the first incident?

Gears are not the end all solution. Its well documented that the OEM bearing design leaves them starved of oil AND the shafts are spreading apart under high loading.

The ring gear and 5th gear having issues is strange, since they are on opposite sides of the case. Was the pinion gear damaged from the first incident?

The ring gear broke last year, knocked a tooth off while just driving like granny. Last week, all of a sudden I couldn't get into 2nd, 4th, reverse. And when i put it in 5th I noticed a rotational "clicking" that would relate to how fast i was going. It was obvious I broke a tooth. The broken tooth kept me from getting into the bottom pattern gears. I'm still working out a solution. Right now I'm think stock 1st and 2nd, GTX 3 and 5th, stock 4th OR MAYBE a new PAR 4th just for kicks, who knows.

Let me ask this: With my upgraded LSD, and GTX 3rd and 5th, do you guys think I'de be ok at 12-15psi ? I truly baby my car, never launch, never race, except the occasional highway run.

LOL, In all seriousness, I'm not sure why I ever strayed from owning Nissans and Toyotas but, I'm going back to Nissans and never looking back. I <3 sr20det.

They have their OWN downfalls. The protege is just not the best platform period.

On topic though your best and cheapest option is to pick up a tranny at the junkyard. Try to find a yard that let YOU pull the tranny and it will be substantially cheaper. I can usually get a tranny for $90 in Miami. I have broken 4 trans at this point and the one I got now has lasted some time by simply not boosting 3rd as much which at higher PSI seems to be the weakest gear.

grab a JY trans for cheap and keep the msp! buy a case of beer and spend the weekend doing the swap. you will have fun. just dont drive like a hooligan and it will make it as a good DD.

get stock gears and get everything shot peened... theres acually a process better than shot peening but i can't remember the name. it's a japanese secret apparently, and theres only one place in the US that does it. works the same way as shot peening except the material used is much much finer and lighter and of an unknown compound. it is also shot out at a much higher velocity without changing the dimensions of the part very much. because of the weight and how fine it is, and the minimal dimension change it can be used on brittle and high tolerance parts such as piston rings, bearings AND transmission cases. lol. it's in one of my superstreet or import tuner mags. i'll try to find it.

EDIT: found it. it's called WPC http://turbohightechperformance.aut...peening-wpc-treatment/friction-reduction.html

http://www.wpctreatment.com/

Last edited:
grab a JY trans for cheap and keep the msp! buy a case of beer and spend the weekend doing the swap. you will have fun. just dont drive like a hooligan and it will make it as a good DD.

I'm pretty much at the point where I think I'm going to run a stock 1st, 2nd, and 4th,and the GTX 3rd and 5th. I'll sell my 1-4 PAR set to someone looking to autocross, or an NA guy.

Should only take 2 or 3 hours to put the tranny back in. Lift, ftw. I just want to keep running 12 or 15 psi without breaking a tranny. Yeah man, I never drive stupid really. No launching or pwershifts ever.

Last edited:
I'm pretty much at the point where I think I'm going to run a stock 1st, 2nd, and 4th,and the GTX 3rd and 5th. I'll sell my 1-4 PAR set to someone looking to autocross, or an NA guy.

Should only take 2 or 3 hours to put the tranny back in. Lift, ftw. I just want to keep running 12 or 15 psi without breaking a tranny. Yeah man, I never drive stupid really. No launching or pwershifts ever.

GTX gears aren't that much different from stock. Good luck man and I hope it all works out so you can enjoy it.

Im really interested as to why the gear broke... Im wondering if the short ratios have anything to do with that... Honestly you shouldn't be breaking PAR gears, because in comparison Mazdaspeed2003.5 has stock gears that are IIRC shoot peened and cryo treated and he is pushing almost 500whp. I hope you figure it out and get the car back up and running.

Well that sounds very weird, breaking straight cut gears is very hard to do unless you are putting over 750whp..

and yes I have all of my transmission Internals cryo treated, Welded LSD front and back of it with also cryo treatment and TBK racing 3rd and 4th racing cryo treated gears as well.. I think what really do kill our transmissions is Smaller turbos with to fast spooling, putting to much stress to the gears in such low speed and rpm is very deadly , well the proof is that why people are breaking transmissions and LSDs with smaller turbos and people running bigger aint !!! bigger turbos spools later and create power up top where the stress to the gears and lsd is much less stressful !!!!!! I also keep my car on street tires because as long i spin tires i wont break anything inside my transmission !!!

Well that sounds very weird, breaking straight cut gears is very hard to do unless you are putting over 750whp..

and yes I have all of my transmission Internals cryo treated, Welded LSD front and back of it with also cryo treatment and TBK racing 3rd and 4th racing cryo treated gears as well.. I think what really do kill our transmissions is Smaller turbos with to fast spooling, putting to much stress to the gears in such low speed and rpm is very deadly , well the proof is that why people are breaking transmissions and LSDs with smaller turbos and people running bigger aint !!! bigger turbos spools later and create power up top where the stress to the gears and lsd is much less stressful !!!!!! I also keep my car on street tires because as long i spin tires i wont break anything inside my transmission !!!

The TBK gears are what, $450 a set (1 speed) ?

Buy me a big turbo and I'll run it. Please..

I just find it appaling that I have to worry about gears breaking while running 15psi on a tiny turbo, it's pathetic. I'll call them today.

Sorry your going through all of this, I feel your pain...I had my tranny rebuilt twice in the last two years.

Sorry your going through all of this, I feel your pain...I had my tranny rebuilt twice in the last two years.

What issues did you have ? I'm thinking about getting an Exedy Stage 1 to soften up the drivetraina little. i think the Spec Stage 3+ that i have is a little too harsh, and overkill for my mods.

Last edited:
Back