Brand New CX-5 Dash Rattling....booo

It sounds like it is directly behind the speedo. If I pinch the 2 layers together it goes or is at least reduced.

Well I took the car in for the kit to be fitted in order to get rid of the rattle. They had it most of the day and .... no difference at all!
My oil level is also rising, nearly up to the X again but their reply was 'that is fine'.

I had mine fixed in February. I still sometimes get (briefly) some subtle buzzing noise when cold, it subsides very quickly. So far the fix has greatly reduced the dash noise when cold, so I'm reasonably happy.

I had mine fixed in February. I still sometimes get (briefly) some subtle buzzing noise when cold, it subsides very quickly. So far the fix has greatly reduced the dash noise when cold, so I'm reasonably happy.
Exactly what did "the fix" entail?

My wife took mine in for an oil change yesterday and they did the TSB. I haven't noticed the rattle today. There is a rattle first thing in the morning for about 30 seconds, but my understanding is that that has something to do with warming the engine up quicker.

Man, y'all are killing my new car smell buzz. I need to stop reading the forums of these nuances! ;)

I think I have solved it. The rattle appears to be either/or the speaker grill or the air vent. I have packed it with a piece of thin card and the sound has all but disappeared - so far!

I just went over to the Ford Escape Forums to see what problems they're having. Same thing with rattles and buzzes, etc. New cars just aren't what they used to be...

Colpart,
Can you please post a picture of the fix? I'm having the same problem too...

Thanks

I will try later today but you won't see anything. I just eased up the air vent on top of the dash (very gently!) and slid a tiny (about 6mm x 6mm) piece of card (it was actually my business card to give you an idea of the size) under. I pushed it in with a small screwdriver until it was pretty much out of sight. I only did it yesterday so I am not sure how effective it will be.

So you actually slip a piece of paper underneath of the speaker grille? I guess since the piece of paper is fairly small, you won't have any issues with blocking the sound then?

Thanks

I will try later today but you won't see anything. I just eased up the air vent on top of the dash (very gently!) and slid a tiny (about 6mm x 6mm) piece of card (it was actually my business card to give you an idea of the size) under. I pushed it in with a small screwdriver until it was pretty much out of sight. I only did it yesterday so I am not sure how effective it will be.

Yes, just a very small piece of thin card, but having appeared to work initially, once I got in the car from cold the rattle returned (cryhard) Still, I think I am close to the source of the problem and I will experiment further.

Thanks for the update :) I did a little rattle/buzzing hunting today, i found out that my buzzing is actually from the steering column!! It happens mostly during freeway speed on rough surfaces, and it sounded like it's from the left dash area. But when you put your ear closer to the steering wheel, you can tell it's from the steering column instead. It disappears when i put a little pressure on the top of the steering column. Anyway, i'm still trying to find the source of the buzzing inside of the steering column, then i can find a way to stop it. Hope this help.

that's what my rattle sounded like and I was surprised but when I did the TSB of tightening the bolts under the cowl the rattle went away.

How hard was it to correct this problem. I read the TSB and tried to find instructions for the cowl removal but there were restricted/.

Rattle

Man, y'all are killing my new car smell buzz. I need to stop reading the forums of these nuances! ;)

Lol, yeah, buzz kill. I just play the radio loud enough to drown out the problems but then the ridiculousness of the head in the sand, well, is no way to go about a bran new car.

So they took apart my dash, found nothing, put it back together and claimed it fixed. Not the case.

It does seem that the cold makes the rattle worse. So on a hot day, everything is expanded and snug. On a cold day, compressed and less adherence; thus the vibration. Super annoying.

Lol, yeah, buzz kill. I just play the radio loud enough to drown out the problems but then the ridiculousness of the head in the sand, well, is no way to go about a bran new car.

So they took apart my dash, found nothing, put it back together and claimed it fixed. Not the case.

It does seem that the cold makes the rattle worse. So on a hot day, everything is expanded and snug. On a cold day, compressed and less adherence; thus the vibration. Super annoying.

Exact same for me....
Dealer also took the dash appart and claimed to have added padding....
(toetap)

just my observation, but if you redirect the heat airflow to the front defroster, you will see that it will resolve the dash rattles. Let me know if this works for you!

Back