Brand New 2022 CX-5 Transmission Problems? Updated!

Turning off traction control ("TCS OFF" button) was discussed in some threads going back a year or two. Some drivers reported that it provides a feel somewhere between sport and normal modes, smoothing out the low gear shifting. Some also reported better fuel economy but that's a different subject.

I had tested this at the time and only noted that the gas pedal had a firmer feel, less pedal travel to get the same giddyup, but the shifting seemed to be about the same.

Now, after two months with the battery disconnected, I reconnected it and noticed no difference in feel but just for yucks I turned off the TCS. There is now a notable difference, much smoother in the low gears in normal, lower RPM driving, resolving the only real gripe I have with the vehicle--mild bumps or lugging in low gears situationally. I'll see how long this lasts.

So, if you don't like the low gear shifting try that--disconnect and reconnect the battery and then turn off TCS. This may not work with turbos or other model years but for one day so far it's a big improvement in my 2020 NA.

Of course you probably only want to turn the TCS off when driving on dry roads. You also have to remember to turn it off every time you start the car as it default to on at start up.

Thanks for your advice, I will definitely try it. For how long do you recommend disconnecting the battery?
Dunno. Mine was disconnected for two months. Googling around I see a Dodge dealer recommending 15 minutes. That seems like overkill but what the heck. I'm sure you can find something else to do while waiting.

First try just TCS OFF and see what happens. Please report back with your findings.

Thanks for your advice, I will definitely try it. For how long do you recommend disconnecting the battery?

You can disconnect the battery, then depress the brake pedal. When the brake lights go dim, you can reconnect. Should take less than a few mins.

Turning off traction control ("TCS OFF" button) was discussed in some threads going back a year or two. Some drivers reported that it provides a feel somewhere between sport and normal modes, smoothing out the low gear shifting. Some also reported better fuel economy but that's a different subject.

I had tested this at the time and only noted that the gas pedal had a firmer feel, less pedal travel to get the same giddyup, but the shifting seemed to be about the same.

Now, after two months with the battery disconnected, I reconnected it and noticed no difference in feel but just for yucks I turned off the TCS. There is now a notable difference, much smoother in the low gears in normal, lower RPM driving, resolving the only real gripe I have with the vehicle--mild bumps or lugging in low gears situationally. I'll see how long this lasts.

So, if you don't like the low gear shifting try that--disconnect and reconnect the battery and then turn off TCS. This may not work with turbos or other model years but for one day so far it's a big improvement in my 2020 NA.

Of course you probably only want to turn the TCS off when driving on dry roads. You also have to remember to turn it off every time you start the car as it default to on at start up.
I tried turning off the "TCS OFF" button before disconnecting the battery and after, and I didn't notice any difference. Same click & jerk when I'm smoothly slowing down and the speedometer arrow passes the 10m/h point. I also noticed when I push the brake pedal harder, and consequently slowing down quicker this click & jerk effect is less noticeable.
In addition to this, I've tried a few times the re-learn/reset method described in sinistriel@'s video and unfortunately this method doesn't work on my 2022 N/A - for some reason at the final step "f" idle rpm is not increasing.

Last edited:
I tried turning off the "TCS OFF" button before disconnecting the battery and after, and I didn't notice any difference. Same click & jerk when I'm smoothly slowing down and the speedometer arrow passes the 10m/h point. I also noticed when I push the brake pedal harder, and consequently slowing down quicker this click & jerk effect is less noticeable.
In addition to this, I've tried a few times the re-learn/reset method described in sinistriel@'s video and unfortunately this method doesn't work on my 2022 N/A - for some reason at the final step "f" idle rpm is not increasing.
Well, it was worth a shot. The transmission most appreciates hard braking and hard acceleration. This business of the vehicle learning one's driving habits has a grain of truth but is largely nonsense. What could it possibly conclude from slogging through stop and go traffic one day and sprinting around back roads the next? So called AI and neural nets are largely marketing nonsense on par with "Corinthian leather". ;)

Well, it was worth a shot. The transmission most appreciates hard braking and hard acceleration. This business of the vehicle learning one's driving habits has a grain of truth but is largely nonsense. What could it possibly conclude from slogging through stop and go traffic one day and sprinting around back roads the next? So called AI and neural nets are largely marketing nonsense on par with "Corinthian leather". ;)
This is not correct. Newer transmission control strategies are very complex. I train part of those AIs and there is a lot going on. ZF for example depending on the application will run 99 shift patterns and will select the most appropriate based on the person driving. The FWD 9 speed TCM has four different "Drivers" it will sort you based on your aggression level when driving, it counts the amount of times a driver will do a certain maneuver and then log that, then assign you a driver type. It takes a certain amount of different drive cycles and throttle application rates to start changing the behavior.

This is not correct. Newer transmission control strategies are very complex. I train part of those AIs and there is a lot going on. ZF for example depending on the application will run 99 shift patterns and will select the most appropriate based on the person driving. The FWD 9 speed TCM has four different "Drivers" it will sort you based on your aggression level when driving, it counts the amount of times a driver will do a certain maneuver and then log that, then assign you a driver type...
Complexity does not equate to effectiveness. If it was so spiffy people with the non-turbo 2.5L versions would not complain so much about low gear shifting. Nor would you find the need to post a video showing how to reset the thing. So far, the couple of folks here who have tried you mehton have not met with success,

As for the bolded statement I've quoted, no wonder the damn thing gets confused. What you describe does not make much sense when you go from scurrying along to stop-and-go and back to hustling which is what many folks do much of the time.

Complexity does not equate to effectiveness. If it was so spiffy people with the non-turbo 2.5L versions would not complain so much about low gear shifting. Nor would you find the need to post a video showing how to reset the thing. So far, the couple of folks here who have tried you mehton have not met with success,

As for the bolded statement I've quoted, no wonder the damn thing gets confused. What you describe does not make much sense when you go from scurrying along to stop-and-go and back to hustling which is what many folks do much of the time.
I never made a claim on complexity vs effectiveness. Part of what I do when programming is remove the complexity to make it less jarring and more consistent for the customer, I personally don't care for newer OEM complexity in this regard. I made the video to help people out with shift concerns because I do not have access to the TCMs yet to fix some of the issues. I know what needs to be changed in the software to fix it which is why if we do get software access I will offer TCM tuning. I genuinely feel sorry for the people it has not helped, I have received many messages about how it has helped others. My only goal is to help people enjoy their vehicles.

I also agree that its easy for them to get confused based on all the parameters they've been given.

Part of what I do when programming is remove the complexity to make it less jarring and more consistent for the customer,
Now that's wholly contradictory to everything you've said previously and therefore must be regarded as nonsense.

I never made a claim on complexity vs effectiveness. Part of what I do when programming is remove the complexity to make it less jarring and more consistent for the customer, I personally don't care for newer OEM complexity in this regard. I made the video to help people out with shift concerns because I do not have access to the TCMs yet to fix some of the issues. I know what needs to be changed in the software to fix it which is why if we do get software access I will offer TCM tuning. I genuinely feel sorry for the people it has not helped, I have received many messages about how it has helped others. My only goal is to help people enjoy their vehicles.

I also agree that its easy for them to get confused based on all the parameters they've been given.
First of all thanks for your video and for sharing this information, it has certainly been helpful for many people. Maybe I did something incorrectly during this procedure but tried several times and the transmission was warmed up quite well.
I ordered an OBD2 adapter to make sure the transmission fluid has the right temperature. Once I get it I will try again.
Bdw, is there an alternative way to reset the transmission and run the initial learning mode - for example through Forscan software?

First of all thanks for your video and for sharing this information, it has certainly been helpful for many people. Maybe I did something incorrectly during this procedure but tried several times and the transmission was warmed up quite well.
I ordered an OBD2 adapter to make sure the transmission fluid has the right temperature. Once I get it I will try again.
Bdw, is there an alternative way to reset the transmission and run the initial learning mode - for example through Forscan software?
No problem! It can definitely take a couple tries to get it to work. This was implemented by Mazda to allow the reset to happen without the factory tools. Forscan may have the ability to reset it on the earlier models however it does not play well with the newer 7th gen architecture vehicles.

No problem! It can definitely take a couple tries to get it to work. This was implemented by Mazda to allow the reset to happen without the factory tools. Forscan may have the ability to reset it on the earlier models however it does not play well with the newer 7th gen architecture vehicles.
I finally managed to perform the re-learning procedure.
The OBD2 unit & Forscan were helpful, but there is one more important condition that needs to be mentioned, which I found in other reviews.
The brake pedal needs to be pressed really hard during the whole process otherwise it won't work.
However, this procedure didn't solve my problem with the click & jerk at 10m/h (when I'm slowing down), I still have to admit that the transmission now shifts noticeably smoother.
But it was definitely worth a shot.

The OBD2 unit & Forscan were helpful, but there is one more important condition that needs to be mentioned, which I found in other reviews.
The brake pedal needs to be pressed really hard during the whole process otherwise it won't work.
However, this procedure didn't solve my problem with the click & jerk at 10m/h (when I'm slowing down), I still have to admit that the transmission now shifts noticeably smoother.
Greg_J: Thank you for this tip. I have tried to do this procedure at least a dozen times over the past few months with only one 'lucky success'. Today, I did it a gain with much more brake pedal pressure and it worked perfectly. Yea. Not sure if it will fix my issue, but it is a try. Thanks Again, Tom

I updated the description to reflect you have to give the brake pedal the beans, OEMs with this type of quicklearn/adapt reset behavior require substantial brake force, I do it so often its just part of muscle memory and did not think to include that.

Last edited:
Back