Brakes shot (rear looks like) at 5k miles?

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
Man .... the car's sliding to a stop now. Releasing the brakes I hear a soft ping sound. ODO: 5325. Earlier brakes gripped amazingly. I am a bit surprised, at just 5300 miles so much increase in braking distance. I am having to brake early, depress brake pedals much more than before. I let my wife drive and she drove after +1500 miles and she immediately also noticed the difference and as usual: followed by a 15 minute complain monologue.

I am afraid - dealer is already talking about (over phone) this being normal, brakes require a break-in period, brake dust, blah-blah.

Man .... the car's sliding to a stop now. Releasing the brakes I hear a soft ping sound. ODO: 5325. Earlier brakes gripped amazingly. I am a bit surprised, at just 5300 miles so much increase in braking distance. I am having to brake early, depress brake pedals much more than before. I let my wife drive and she drove after +1500 miles and she immediately also noticed the difference and as usual: followed by a 15 minute complain monologue.

I am afraid - dealer is already talking about (over phone) this being normal, brakes require a break-in period, brake dust, blah-blah.

Some new brake pads require some bed-in time. I don't know what the OEM ones are made out of, but typically OEM pads should be well bedded in by 5k. I would take it to another dealership to get a 2nd opinion.

Some new brake pads require some bed-in time. I don't know what the OEM ones are made out of, but typically OEM pads should be well bedded in by 5k. I would take it to another dealership to get a 2nd opinion.

I am taking it to another dealer, this weekend. My only fear is they will try pushing it out till 10k miles and then hit me with $$.

It's difficult to decipher what the symptoms are. Car "sliding to a stop"? Sounds like the anti-lock feature is not kicking in?

I find your description odd. How many "brake pedals" does your car have? (wink)

It's difficult to decipher what the symptoms are. Car "sliding to a stop"? Sounds like the anti-lock feature is not kicking in?

I find your description odd. How many "brake pedals" does your car have? (wink)

Oops. No. What I meant was: Assume a STOP sign. You're approaching it. About 200 feet from your driveway. You do stop daily. In comparison to what was before and these days, if I apply right about the same pressure (brake pedal) I know I'll overshoot the stop sign. So, either I am having to apply the brakes earlier OR I have to depress the pedal significantly more to stop.

Observation #2: Assume all of that's over and I'm driving to work. After about 20 odd miles I start noticing every time I have stopped and then when about to start moving as soon as I release the brakes, there's a soft ping (metallic) sound. The best way to describe it would be if I had drum brakes (IF), the sound's similar to that soft drum noise heard when the drum's bad.

My apologies, I agree that was an incorrect way of describing the original problem. Hope its now clear.

Last edited:
Observation #2: Assume all of that's over and I'm driving to work. After about 20 odd miles I start noticing every time I have stopped and then when about to start moving as soon as I release the brakes, there's a soft ping (metallic) sound. The best way to describe it would be if I had drum brakes (IF), the sound's similar to that soft drum noise heard when the drum's bad.

That sounds like corrosion on the calipers/steel brake pad backing material causing binding and resistance. Have you been driving on roads where de-icer salts are used?

The solution would be a good cleaning/lubing of the brakes.

That sounds like corrosion on the calipers/steel brake pad backing material causing binding and resistance. Have you been driving on roads where de-icer salts are used?

The solution would be a good cleaning/lubing of the brakes.

Ah - make sense. Will keep you posted.

Back