Brake Problem I Think

blackp5

iwask
My car has been acting up lately. It is dragging almost everytime I drive it. There are no sounds coming from anywhere. I notice my car does not roll freely after I drive it for about 30 minutes or so.

I can have my car put in neutral and parking brake off and when I try to push it, it doesn't move at all. It rolls freely in the morning when I drive it but starts to lock up or something after a while. Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?

Thanks

My car does that too.. wait it does it just after being driven? mine does it after not being driven for a while, when the rotors rust a little and stick to the pads.

It does it after it has been driven for a few miles. It's fine if I don't drive the car for about a few hours and then it acts up again.

its your brake bearings. stick em in your mouth and suck for a while, replace em, your brakes are well lubed once again.

i had the same problem with my muffler bearings.

AlturredMP5 said:
its your brake bearings. stick em in your mouth and suck for a while, replace em, your brakes are well lubed once again.

i had the same problem with my muffler bearings.
lol.

Sounds like your caliper slider pins aren't, well...sliding...after they heat up. they're not hard to do, and there's a how to on here somewhere...

Feel each wheel after driving - the really hot one is the dragging one.

Jack and put on jack stands. Chock the opposite wheel. release the parking brake or put in neutral (depending on if it is the front or rear. Then spin the wheel. The remove the wheel and the caliper - now spin again.
This will tell you if it is a wheel bearing/CV Joint or brake problem.

My mechanic said it was all four wheels sticking/dragging. Could it still be a caliper pin that is not greased well enough?

I was thinking about bleeding my brakes since brake pedal feel does not have a consistent feel to it everytime I drive. Sometimes it's softer and other times I barely step on it and it's on full brake. Think bleeding the brakes would help?

if all 4 wheels are ticking, then teh chances of it being a wheel-centered problem are zilch.
My money is on a mater-cylinder related issue. I know this sounds odd, but hear me out. Typically there's an air-blowoff valve in the MC, it's supposed to releave pressure that builds up as you drive/use the brakes. if this is stuck/malfunctioning, it can cause this behavior.
How do I know this? When I got my 4Runner, its was doing the same thing. I literally replaced every brake component, one at a time, including the brake booster, trying to track it down. The MC was the last thing tried, when I was completely out of ideas. Fixed it immediately.
Just a thought.

I know this sounds odd, but hear me out. Typically there's an air-blowoff valve in the MC, it's supposed to releave pressure that builds up as you drive/use the brakes

Interesting - I've never seen or heard anything about such valves - I thought the hydraulic system was supposed to be pretty much sealed - do you have a link for more info on these valves as there is no mention of it in the service manual?
Plus, the m/c is composed of 2 separate circuits, so the chances of it causing all 4 brakes to drag is surely remote?
Weird that changing it apparently fixed the problem, though - I'd have bet money that it was much more likely to be a vacuum booster or abs issue (if the car had abs)

It wasn't too expensive. Bought a remanufactured master cylinder for about $130 shipped but when I return my old one, I get $50 refunded back so about the $80 for the master cylinder and $7 for brake fluid.

the tortoise said:
Thanks for letting us know you've sorted it out.

How expensive was it?

falsedawn said:
Interesting - I've never seen or heard anything about such valves - I thought the hydraulic system was supposed to be pretty much sealed - do you have a link for more info on these valves as there is no mention of it in the service manual?
Plus, the m/c is composed of 2 separate circuits, so the chances of it causing all 4 brakes to drag is surely remote?
Weird that changing it apparently fixed the problem, though - I'd have bet money that it was much more likely to be a vacuum booster or abs issue (if the car had abs)

I don't know much about how the master cylinder works but I noticed when I pulled the old one out, I heard an air sound like as if it was being released.

yeah - it is vacuum-assist power brakes. You released air into the system. usualy a check valve retains vaccuum for awhile after shut down.

Back