Brake Pads

peter.sellers

:
MS3
I have a 2007 MS3. Brake pads getting down there now and need to replace. Google is my friend and I have looked at a few options. But wanted to check with the forum - any recommendations / experiences on which brake pads to go with? Thanks in advance.

Hawk HPS. A good step up from stock. Street friendly, yet a definite improvement at an affordable price. Life is as good as the stock pads, maybe better.

I have autocrossed my '08 Speed 3 with both Hawk and Porterfield pads, and I have to say I'm now a loyal Porterfield man. The input actually came at a driving school when the instructor, a SCCA Autocross national champ, actually explained to me why I was struggling to get my braking points right. Below is the conversation we had after a frustrating few runs where things seemed to always be changing.

"What pads you running?"

me: "HPS with SS lines all around, super blue fluid".

"How consistent to the breaks feel to you?"

me: "They're super solid, but when I'm trying for that late breaking point, I can never seem to get the same result. The brakes are linear up to a point, and then they just seem to get random!"

"Exactly. The HPS are NOT linear. At the limit, they will both grab very hard some times, and other times not so hard, and it depends on how hot they are and a bunch of other factors. This is why you're too slow into some corners, and over cooking others."

I switched to Porterfield R4-S brakes and I LOVE them. They are so consistent, so linear. I was able to make my braking points so very consistent I was able to take my autocross times down because I was no longer trying to compensate for changing brake points.

The downside of the Porterfields? After about 20,000 miles, they have started to squeal. They still have plenty of pad left, but at light pedal input, they squeek a lot. I asked Porterfield about this, they said that brakes that are heated up (say at an autocross) will get hard and will squeal more, but still stop just as well.

Good to know about the Porterfields. I don't run autocross, but have pulled the car down pretty hard from triple digit speeds many times. I guess I'm not doing it frequently enough to induce the variable pedal you're experiencing. I do need for them to be quiet. I'm at 91,000 (about half of it on the HPS) and still have quite a bit of pads left. Seem to have very long life.

I have Hawk HPS now, and they're a good street pad. The pedal has less initial bite than OEM, even with SS lines and new fluid, but overall stopping power seems to be about the same. I haven't done any autocrossing with them, so I can't speak to how well they work when they're truly hot. I've heard that the new CorkSport pads offer similarly low dust, with initial bite and pedal feel closer to stock. They're also a street pad, and don't hold up for autocross as well as a more aggressive compound will. Next time I need pads, I'll be looking at either the CS or EBC Yellows. This is for a car that is exclusively street driven, with the occasional (too rare) weekend blast.

Ended up getting the Hawk Performance HB549F.702 HPS. Not as much bite as the OEMs but lesser brake dust. Liking it so far.

Thanks!

I've tried hawk brakes what I don't like about them is that they don't have that initial "bite" like the oem pads

I like the more progressive feel of the HPS. Progressive pressure = progressive braking force. I don't like the brakes all out there on the tip of the pedal. I guess it's just a matter of preference. I now have 92,000 miles on this car. The OEM pads went about 35,000. One set of Hawk HPS pads after that. I recently did a strut/shock upgrade and got a good look at the pads -- they will be good for probably another 15K, and I drive this car very hard. While not dust free, they are much better than OEM.

I just got some Hawk HPS pads. Will be putting them on in the next couple of days. I'm really looking forward to less dust. My front Enkeis are black all the time from the mammoth amount of dust the OEM's produce.

I just got some Hawk HPS pads. Will be putting them on in the next couple of days. I'm really looking forward to less dust. My front Enkeis are black all the time from the mammoth amount of dust the OEM's produce.

HPS's will add more brake dust than your OEM pads.

I just put the Hawk HPS pads on yesterday. I bedded them in as per manufacturers instruction, and so far I really like them. They are more linear than the OEM pads, with a little less initial bite, but when you ask it of them, they bite as hard as the OEM pads.

My understanding was that the Hawk HPS will be slightly less dusty than the OEM pads. I'll have to let you know in the future when I've done more driving with em.

I used Hawk HPS on my Speed when I had it... I didn't notice any change in the amount of dust. It definitely wasn't less that's for sure. Braking was on-par with the stock pads as well.

I've been using hawk HPS pads for a month or so now. They don't but as sudenly as the OEM pads, but the stopping power is linear and easy to control. I've got no noticeable noise more than the OEM pads, and the dust is almost exactly the same.

Overall I'm pleased with the Hawks.

Back