Brake Pad and Rotor Suggestions

where did you get the stockers and for how much $ ?
I don't recall the price, but I bought them at the dealership. I get 15% off parts. Mind you, these were for a 3s, not a Speed. Maybe ceramics work better on the Speed, but they sucked big time on the 3s.

After last night (well, two nights ago I guess) I'm pretty certain that I'll be sticking with my stock setup. Guy ran the red blinker in front of me (probably drunk or being lazy, it was New Years' Day by then) and when he saw me he slammed on his brakes stopping in the middle of the intersection, glad he had a white car else I might not have seen him in time, but my stockers with ABS engaging stopped me phenomenally within feet of him, so unless there's an alternative that will give me better performance AND better daily driveability I'll be sticking by my stock setup. Just my $.02

I think you're making a good decision. Brake dust is the only negative to the stockers, and I'll gladly live with it for better stopping performance.

I want to have a brake setup that is a good mix for street and tracking. I tracked the stockers and they worked much better than I had anticipated. Actually the rears seem to get hotter than they should have, the fronts settled in after about 3 laps into a run and pretty much stabilized there. I only ran about 10-12 laps on the car at a time. The brakes were very hot, of course. If I stopped the car after the runs they would smoke so I instead drove the car thru the pit area until they cooled somewhat. After this abuse the fronts returned to normal but the rears were pitting the rears rotors a bit and they have stayed that way thru the pad and rotor's life.

I will say that my brakes only lasted to about 38K, where I am right now, so I need pads pretty quick. I'm thinking that I need ECB blues in the front and yellows in the rear. ECB doesn't make blues for our fronts though. They would be special order for $200 a set. As for the dusting I'm willing to live with that. The fronts dust up immediately and I've been living with them since the car was new. I don't like cleaning wheels but I don't like good brakes even more.

Is there anyone else out there like me that would like some ECB blues for the front? In researching it they sound like perfect pads. Maybe we can arrange a group buy or something.

BTW ceramic brakes SUCK. That's my experience, not with this car but with others I've had.

IMO if you are not going to track the car just stick with the stock set up. I personally have Hawk HPS pads and like them although they do have a different feel from what came off NO DUST though. Oh, my car is not a speed though just thought I would drop my $.02

So stock is probably the best set up, but you can't get them anywhere except a dealership? I need new brakes but I REALLY don't want to deal with my stealership.

i know im late....
they are several sites you can get the stocky's. Im surprised to see people go over 35 k with the stockys. I can barely do 25k miles on mines. im getting ready from my second pair, an im at 45k. then again, im always at 3 digit speeds, and i do put those sukers to work hard. I love them! ive driven many cars with upgraded brakes, but these have a great bite and engage smooth.

i know im late....
they are several sites you can get the stocky's. Im surprised to see people go over 35 k with the stockys. I can barely do 25k miles on mines. im getting ready from my second pair, an im at 45k. then again, im always at 3 digit speeds, and i do put those sukers to work hard. I love them! ive driven many cars with upgraded brakes, but these have a great bite and engage smooth.

Really!? I got 60k out of mine. Replacing them in the next few weeks. Probably going with the HPS, based on the misc. reviews and pricing.

Last edited:
Grassroots motorsports just did a great review on the Hawk series pads from street to full track using hoosier track tires. It really is a decent evaluation of what the different levels Hawk presents to us. I think they are very good and haved used them more than once. Please spend as much time defining what your goals are within all the disciplines of braking properties might be. I apologise in advance as i did not read whole thread yet, but in my exp here.. you already have good info and this article i thought might help asap.
its all about proper application for need, most of the names you see are awesome.
Now i will read fully.

Ok now i can add.
The stock setup is one of the best i have ever had the privelege. And if you do not stop hard from over 80 or so very often you should stick with them. They are that good.
Ready to go right away for that emergency stop. They are brought in from Volvo was my understanding. The speeds are larger in front then the 3 the rears are the same.
My driving style is the key to how my suspension is set up and more importantly how i can brake most effectively.
I was smoking my fronts and got about 20 k from them. Not a daily driver type. There are many excellent manfacturers and they all produce pads for every driving style.
My first recommend would be to stay stock. Pricey but well worth it imho. The reason i moved a little because i asked for more and was willing to sacrifice something.
I am ready to move forward again with a more agrressive pad in front and a more temp resistant rotor.
By the way there are good reasons for drilled and or slotted rotors,
But of course if you buy cheap there is a good chance that is what you will get. I have exp here
You all probably all know this but as a reminder NEVER cut corners on brake system purchases. OK?
My setup wont stop after a cold start. I drive like a granny for the first 1/2 mile and drag my heal alittle. But the upside in warm weather i can almost lift the rear in turns under hard brake and from like 80 to 30
thats fun. Try Hawk hps as your first step, that are less expensive than stock work well rotor material too. Good luck with your choice and let us know how you make out

So why change?

Really!? I got 60k out of mine. Replacing them in the next few weeks. Probably going with the HPS, based on the misc. reviews and pricing.

So you got 60K out of your stockers (I have 62K on mine right now)? I have to assume you were happy with their braking performance, based on my own experience. So why would you switch? I really have to advise you to stick with stock. Given how many miles you got out of your stockers, you aren't an aggressive driver. I can almost assure you that you won't be happy with HPS. They are extremely ineffective (IMO dangerous) until you heat them up real good. I think they would be awesome on the track, but not for a typical daily driver.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have 62,000 miles. I don't drive very aggressively at all on the street, and do a lot of engine braking. I had the pads changed over the weekend. The rears are still in fantastic shape. It almost looked like I can get another 15-20k miles out of them to be honest. The fronts were worn pretty well, just about to the minimum 'safe' thickness. I changed out the front to the HPS and kept the stockers on the rear for now. The rotors looked fine as well, just a small 1-2/32 or so lip forming.

I really need to bleed my brakes and clutch line once it gets warm enough. That said, I haven't been interested enough in pushing the car too hard to test/compare the brakes to the OEM.

Stick with stock IMO, I got 64k outta mine (pads and rotors). Pricy but great performace and longevity.

Has anyone upgraded there brake lines to Goodridge or any other stainless lines?

I have had great results on past vehicles.

Yes i have had them for a season or two along with a motul fluid upgrade. I am about to purchase new front rotors and will flush fluid for the second time in my ownership.
I am now a big fan of stainless braided lines. A decent upgrade for sure, a little more feel and a lot of security for someone who drives hard or tracks their car. A good 100$ investment imo.

I went with a set of cryotreated slotted rotors and Hawk blues.

Initial impression is they aren't as sticky as stock, but once heated up slightly they have slightly better stopping power. Overall a lot less dust, so far.

Overall I'm satisfied. Not as good initial bite until heated up, but once warm better bite and stopping power and overall price is much less than the stock setup.

Gmac

Back