Brake bleed sequence

:
Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016
It's time to renew the brake fluid in my 2016 CX9. Does anyone know the bleeding sequence from the shop manual? On other vehicles I've done the usual far-to-near, RR, LR, (rear proportioning valve on the pickup), RF, LF. But, my 1996 Volvo 850 shop manual had the order reversed, near-to-far, and that worked great for that system.

We know that brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air. Moisture laden brake fluid can flash to vapor from the heat of heavy braking, the pedal goes to the floor, and you crash. Higher numbered brake fluid has a higher wet boiling temperature...DOT4, (unofficial DOT4 plus), DOT5.1...but the same borate chemicals that give this benefit also cause the fluid to absorb moisture more readily thus requiring more frequent fluid changes. I'll stick with a good DOT3 fluid. All these polyethylene glycol brake fluids are hygroscopic (mix with water) so there is no chance of water pooling in a low spot in the system and freezing or corroding the metals. All are synthetic, so don't be swayed or deterred by "synthetic" on the label.

A few vehicles (some Harley Davidson motorcycles, for example) have brake systems made for DOT5 silicone brake fluid, but it is more compressible than the others and is unsuitable for ABS. Farm tractors use a mineral hydraulic fluid for the brakes. Just about everything else on the road uses good old DOT3 or the others.

Hey, I posted this on my last flush.

Back