Bought a 3rd handgun...a Ruger Mark II "NRA Endowment" special edition

jersey_emt

:
04 MSM #1089
I just added another handgun to my firearms collection. I previously purchased a Sig Sauer P6 and a Smith & Wesson Model 59, both 9mm semiautomatic pistols. I wanted to add a .22 LR handgun to the mix for some super-cheap target practice -- for the price of 100 rounds of 9mm ammunition, you can buy 500 rounds of .22 LR ammunition. This caliber is also great for improving your marksmanship. Not only are you able to get 5 times the amount of practice, the almost nonexistent recoil helps improve trigger control and other necessary skills.

I had already decided to get a new Ruger Mark III or a used Ruger Mark II. But I came across a brand-new "NRA Endowment" special edition Ruger Mark II and loved it.

It's basically a Ruger Mark II with ivory-colored grips and some cool engraving:

ruger_mk_ii_nra.jpg

nice, kinda looks like a old WWII german officer pistol...

i don't know about you, but i don't have any guns, and i'll probably keep it that way...until they make the a Laser gun that is! hahaha

setting phasers to stun!
images

Yeah, the Ruger .22 LR pistols do share a resemblance to the Luger used by Germans in WWII
luger_p08.jpg

William Ruger loved the grip angle on the Luger, and decided to design his .22 LR pistol with that same grip angle.

I'm heading down to the range tomorrow afternoon to put a couple hundred rounds through it and will report back. I've shot the same gun many times before, and absolutely loved it. So I expect that I'll have nothing but good things to say after my new Ruger Mark II's first range trip.

I took my new Ruger Mark II to the range on Saturday and put about 250-300 rounds through it. Don't have an exact round count because I wasn't keeping track, and I had a bulk pack of 550 rounds which is packed loose in the box, instead of a plastic tray with spots for each individual round.

It felt great to just shoot magazine after magazine after magazine and not worry about how much money I was spending on the ammunition. I bought the box of 550 rounds for $16.99, about 3 cents per round. Compare that with 100 rounds of 9mm ammunition which I paid $29.98, about 30 cents per round. So 9mm costs 10 times what .22 LR costs. I just shot magazine after magazine without really keeping track, because I knew that even if I emptied the whole box, it would have only cost me 17 dollars. The box is around half full now, so I went through 250-300 rounds or so.

It was an absolute blast. The gun shot great. It's accuracy is incredible -- I did some informal testing from a rest and got 5-shot groups of less than 2" at 25 yards. And this is from cheap bulk ammo. Doing actual (off-hand / unsupported) shooting at 10-15 yards I was consistently getting 5-shot groups of less than 3 inches. Not too bad for someone who only started shooting a couple of months ago, and I'm glad to know that the gun is capable of much more than my current skill level.

After a couple hundred rounds through the Ruger Mark II, I shot a 50-round box of 9mm ammunition through my Sig Sauer P6, and did the best that I've ever done. The heavy practice with the .22 LR Ruger helped me immensely in shooting my 9mm Sig. The Sig P6 is a home-defense gun, so I concentrated mostly on double-taps at 10 yards. 90% of the initial shots were in the 10-ring, and about 90% of the follow-up shots were in the 8-ring or better (with about 50% in the 10-ring). Again, nothing exceptional, but I left the range very pleased.

Function-wise the new Ruger Mark II did very well. The trigger is great even straight from the factory with no modifications -- extremely light and smooth, and it just feels plain awesome.

One of the 2 magazines had a FTF (failure to feed) on the last round of its first 2 uses, but that did not happen again after that. Other than that, I had only 2 stovepipes (failure to extract -- the spent casing from the round fired was not ejected fully), both of which happened in the first 100 rounds through the gun. After that, the gun functioned flawlessly for another 150-200 rounds.

So only 4 malfunctions in 250-300 rounds from a brand-new gun, and half of those were caused by the magazine, not the gun itself. This was with el-cheapo bulk ammunition and should only get better because the gun should be fully broken in at this point.

So I have a great gun that has exceptional accuracy and reliability. And I have a gun that is just plain beautiful because of the engravings and the ivory-colored grips. It caught the eyes of a few people at the range and they all complimented me on how good the gun looked. And I picked it up for around the same price that I would have paid for a brand-new standard model.

I'm more than happy with it, and am looking forward to shooting it again soon.

Thanks Blendercloud!

I took it to the range again this past weekend and put another 300 rounds through it. Only 1 malfunction (failure to extract / double feed), which happened during a long string of rapid fire testing. I had my 2 10-round magazines, and borrowed 2 more magazines from the range's rental Ruger Mark II, so 40 rounds immediately available. My girlfriend reloaded the magazines as I ejected them, and I got through 5 full magazines and 7 rounds on a sixth before it jammed. And these were basically magazine dumps as fast as I could pull the trigger -- 10 rounds in about 2 seconds, 3-4 seconds for a magazine change, and repeat until it jammed or until my girlfriend didn't have a freshly loaded magazine ready. I was pretty impressed how it handled this test...it most definitely is a great and reliable design.

Here's a video I just made that gives an overview of the features and specs as well as a short discussion on why every shooter should have a .22 LR pistol even though it's not an effective defensive tool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YFR8y-D0m8

Yup just bought my first a few months ago. I've been shooting regularly for some time before that, because it takes a couple of months to get permits in New Jersey. It actually worked out for the best, because my range has a nice variety of rental guns, and they keep pretty good care of them (not as obsessive as I am with mine, but they were cleaned regularly and weren't beat up to hell). So I was able to try many different guns from different manufacturers to find what I liked best.

where did you get your .22 ammo so cheap?

Walmart, Federal bulk pack, 550 rounds for $16.99. It was on sale, but the regular price isn't much higher. FMJ and JHP were the same price, so I got a box of each, even though hollow-point .22 LR ammo is pretty useless, at least from a pistol. JHP .22 LR rounds need the extra velocity from a rifle to expand. But I was curious to see how my Ruger handled the hollow-points (almost flawlessly). And even though my Ruger .22 would not be the first gun I would grab if I needed to defend myself, if I had no other choice I'd want the JHP rounds.

Dick's Sporting Goods also has similar prices.

You can also find similar prices online with a little searching. Prices fluctuate very quickly so if you see a good deal you need to jump on it.

Occasionally you can find good deals on ammunition on Gunbroker. Generally not, because people like to buy all the ammunition from their local Walmart/Dick's/etc. for cheap and resell them on Gunbroker for a profit. But every so often you'll find great prices there too.

Last edited:
I think I am going to be picking up a mark III tomorrow. Havent decided between the adjustable or fixed sight, its a $70 difference. So i dont know if it will be worth it.

I think I am going to be picking up a mark III tomorrow. Havent decided between the adjustable or fixed sight, its a $70 difference. So i dont know if it will be worth it.

Handle them both first. The models with the adjustable sights are the bull barrel, hunter (fluted barrel), and competition models. All have longer and heavier barrels than the standard model with the fixed sights and the tapered barrel.

Some people find the heavier barrels make the gun more balanced, but to me, they feel a bit muzzle-heavy. I do like the look of the (non-tapered) bull barrel over the tapered barrel on mine though. The extra weight on the models with adjustable sights reduces felt recoil and muzzle flip. But it's a .22 LR, so even the standard model with the 4.75" tapered barrel -- which has the shortest barrel and lowest weight of all the models -- has extremely low recoil and just a very tiny tiny bit of muzzle flip.

Any Mark III is a great gun. Just be aware of the fact that it has a magazine disconnect safety, and this somewhat complicates the field stripping and reassembly procedures, compared to the Mark II.

Last edited:
Also don't forget about the Ruger 22/45 Mark III. It has the same grip angle as a 1911, making it somewhat more useful for training if you have a 1911-style gun. The 22/45 is also a bit cheaper than the regular Ruger Mark III, because the grip frame is polymer and not steel. That's not really an issue for reliability or durability, because the action on a Ruger .22 LR pistol is more like a rifle than a pistol -- everything happens in the upper receiver, which is steel on both the regular Mark III and the 22/45 Mark III.

You can get a 22/45 Mark III with adjustable sights for around the same price as a standard Mark III with fixed sights.

I tried the 22/45, but I didnt like how it felt in my hand. I ended up getting the Mk III with the adjustable sights and bull barrel. I will be going to shoot it tomorrow at the range. Will update then.

Also, I couldnt find the ammo at my local wal mart, though the shelf tag was there for it. Just outta stock. I will go look at a different walmart and dicks sporting tomorrow.

Last edited:
Great choice! You're going to love it. I just went to the range again on Sunday, and went through about 250 rounds through my Ruger .22 LR and 50 rounds through my Sig P6. I would shoot 4 magazines (40 rounds) of .22 LR and then 1 magazine (8 rounds) of 9mm, back and forth. So much fun for so little money.

I went and shot 200 rds through the ruger today. It was a blast, very little kickback and very easy to aim. I have to go find some ammo now, Im wanting to go shooting again, like tomorrow...this is addicting. I think I have found some remington hollow points in the bulk pack at the local bass pro shop. I will have to try them out.

Back