Bought my first gun: a Sig Sauer P6

jersey_emt

:
04 MSM #1089
After a 2 month wait for the permitting process in NJ, I have purchased my first gun, a Sig Sauer P6. It's a 9mm handgun that was used by German law enforcement up until recently, when they replaced them with Heckler & Koch pistols. It is a very slightly modified version of the Sig Sauer P225.

The Sig Sauer P6 handguns were imported into the United States to be sold on the used market. The majority of them were in good to very good condition, with some wear from being carried in a holster, but with a low number of rounds fired. They typically sell for between $250 and $400 depending on condition. Mine was in excellent mechanical condition and very good cosmetic condition and was purchased for $300 -- less than half of what a brand new Sig Sauer handgun typically sells for.

It's a (somewhat) compact semiautomatic 9mm pistol with an 8+1 capacity. The fairly low capacity is due to its single-stack magazine, which trades capacity for a slimmer width. It has a double-action/single-action trigger, with a trigger pull weight of around 4.5 lb. single action and 10 lb. double action. Like most Sig Sauer pistols, it has a decocker but no external manual safety. The frame is steel and it weighs 26 ounces with an empty magazine. Felt recoil is low even for a 9mm caliber pistol. It's a nice gun, and a low-cost but high-quality introduction into Sig Sauer handguns.

I brought it to the range this past weekend and fired it for the first time, and was very happy with how it handled. I'm new to firearms and have a lot to improve on, but managed some pretty good accuracy for the first time with a particular gun and with my low level of shooting experience.

It's primary purpose will be target shooting at the range, but will also serve as a home defense weapon if it is ever needed. Of course, I hope that it never has to be used for defensive purposes, but it is there if needed for home defense. Concealed carry is not an option in NJ, so the relatively large size and weight of the Sig Sauer P6 is not an issue.

I bought some snap caps for dry fire training and will also be picking up a .22 LR pistol for some cheap trigger time to help improve my skills.

Here is a photo of a Sig Sauer P6. Mine is in better condition that this one and has only a small bit of wear.

2630177412_fd6a763ded.jpg

I'm very happy with the decision and I look forward to improving my skills.

In the USCG I believe we use the Sig p229 DAK i was looking at one of those since i have shot it a couple times. Everytime i have a enough to get one something falls of my car. Great lookin gun though

In the USCG I believe we use the Sig p229 DAK i was looking at one of those since i have shot it a couple times. Everytime i have a enough to get one something falls of my car. Great lookin gun though

a great gun. I have the 229. I like the way they shoot, look and the best they are easy to break down and keep clean, Just clean it after every use and you will not even be able to tell how old it is. Nice choice.

Back