Boring Daily Build

One thing I remember about the starter is that it's a PITA to replace.

You're working blind for those two bolts (or maybe the one?) and it's hard to get the socket in it (them) to reef on it.

Oops, that's the ZM.

Don't forget that the starter motors are different for the auto and manual transmissions.

When I'm working blind, I shut my eyes.
It helps me focus.
You can't see anyway.

Ohh boy, starter replacements are fun! I need to do my daily soon lol

Removing the dog bone brace between the manifold and block makes things a lot easier

12mm long sockets are a life saver! Especially the hidden bolt underneath the engine

Anyone have pictures of the engine grounds by chance? Tomorrow I'm gonna check power at the starter and clean the grounds and terminals.

There was a thread with pictures about the "Big Three Upgrade" but the pictures have since disappeared.

This is a link to a more recent Big 3 upgrade.

Here's the old link.

Well, I'm confused. The starter is clicking so I'm pretty confident that the starter is the issue. I cleaned the battery to body ground and two others I found, still no start. Then I put my life in the hands of two rusty pinch welds and climbed under to check for voltage and I wasn't getting any, although I'm not certain I was doing it correctly and I'm not proficient with a DMM. I could barely see so I wasn't sure what was the S terminal was so I checked both and never got voltage, but again the starter was clicking and getting warm, so I think I was just doing it wrong. Then boom, it started, 3 times. So I'm not sure If that's confirming I have a bad starter that works intermittently or if I'm dealing with a wiring issue.
Annotation 2020-09-03 191853.png

Make sure that your multimeter is set to DC, not AC.
Measure the voltage between either terminal and the metal starter casing or a good ground.

I think you've got a bad starter.
The heat from the motor warming up and the solenoid being energized softens the grease in the solenoid which has probably turned into a sticky, tar-like substance.

My friend's outboard motor did the same thing.
It wouldn't start without problems but would start right up after the engine was warmed up.

Try to start the car again when it's cold.

Bad solenoid or bad brushes in the starter for sure!
Have you tried rapping the starter with a wrench when it doesn't start? That can loosen up the solenoid and get it working again temporarily

The solenoid can be opened and re-greased fairly easily, I don't know if the brushes can be replaced in the motor itself.

I was about to give it a whack when it started. I'll see if it starts again tomorrow morning. I would pull out the starter to see if I could take it apart but I'd like to do the repair in the garage and it can't stay in for more than a day or two.

You can also buy a new solenoid for the starter motor but it's more money than a complete rebuilt starter motor.

This car is a mystery. I let it sit all day, got home and it started right up but not only that but it barely smoked, barely compared to normal. It still smoked for about 2 minutes but not a cloud, just a thin mist. Without the smell of oil cloud, I could smell how rich the car is running. Here is it smoking at operating temp idling smooth at 700-800 rpm.
I guess I'm just gonna hold off on ordering a starter and call it a fluke? The car is a mystery.

I repainted the front wiper arms, and today I wet sanded and polished the headlights. I'm gonna touch up the paint and detail it in and out then she'll be listed :cry:
IMG_3001.jpg
IMG_3701.jpg
IMG_3706.jpg
IMG_3697.jpg
IMG_3704.jpg

Responsible me says nothing, the other part says this
1603320009906.png

There's one in my neighborhood that's been parked for 3 years that really been calling my name 😁
Who knows tho... I really don't need another project...

literally the only reason I'll suggest otherwise is that the Big Three really had shyte material selection on the important bits - brake lines, power steering lines, and other things of that nature.

If you do decide to give it a look, give it a GOOOOOOOOOOOOD look as that may change your mind.

I won't lie, as much as I might be "bored" of Protege5s, there's something that I enjoy about them. The issues they have (barring rust) aren't terrible to deal with, IMO. I'd daily mine if it wasn't V6 swapped and suffering from issues of my own darned doing...

It's a 35-year-old car that's been sitting for 3 years so we're talking a matter of a couple hundred dollars, the same temptation that got me in the P5 lol.
I'm not necessarily bored of it but it needs more than I can justify doing right now. I want someone to buy it who needs a clean shell and can give it the love it deserves. I really enjoy a good P5, when it's healthy, maybe I'll find myself in one down the road.

So I thought the cruise control didn't work but when I looked up diagnostic procedures I learned that I simply didn't know how to operate it. So today I got thinking if maybe the cd player is the same. If I press the cd button or the eject button nothing happens, but if I hold the load button it flashes "cd in 1" so I did the button test procedure and they all work. So what is the correct way to play a cd, eject a cd, insert a cd, and change from one to another?

I don't really know, because I rarely use my cd player, but I found these directions.

There is also a HUGE test procedure to check the audio system.

The rest is in the manual.
Too many pages to post.

I think it's overkill for a stock radio.

You don't need to use the SST to fix your CD player, this tool works just fine.

Then you put in an aftermarket stereo. Lol

I did try putting in a cd and it didn't accept it. Also, the disc in indicator doesn't illuminate even though it says there's one in. Maybe it just broken.

Back