Boost Leak Test

Spooler

:
2007 Mazdaspeed 6
Hello,

I decided to go ahead and perform a boost leak test. Bought all the hardware and built the tester. I removed the pipe going to the turbo inlet. Right there I saw the poor craftmanship of the turbo piping. There is a nipple that connects the cold pipe to the intake pipe to some valve, you should have seen the quality of that assemble. The nipple was glued on with crazy glue and sealed with black silicone smeared all over the place.....a friggin gong-show, I cannot believe Mazda would do stuff like that....of course it was cracked at the bottom....so I glued it back in place with epoxy glue and sealed it with silicone. People would say "change those plastic pipes", I won't because I want the car to remain stock to sell it. So that step completed, I pressure tested the system with a compressor at ~ 15 psi. Now this is weird, but I had air leaking from my oil stick! How could that be? I am puzzled...Anybody ever seen this?

Spooler

your rings are shot in the ass. What you are experiencing is now as Blow by. The only other thing that could cause this symptom is the head gasket but i have my money on rings. Preform a Compression test, and a leak down test to know for sure.

Wouldn't I see oil smoke or changes in the oil level if I have ring issues? Oil level is solid from change to change and I have never seen smoke from the exhaust. Now, I plugged the vaccum line going to the valve that links the intake pipe and the pipe going to the intercooler when I ran the test. Could that be the cause? I'd be surprised though....

sounds like you're talking about the BPV, and that would have been sealed anyway... only opens when you let off the gas when the turbo is spooled... so no, that wouldn't effect the test.

The tube that you are talking about is you crank case vent and you should not have it sealed, it will not affect the test but it needs to breath. As for smoke and oil consumption, that is a toss up, the rings may not be that worn out and the wiper ring could still be doing its job. Later B

The tube that you are talking about is you crank case vent and you should not have it sealed, it will not affect the test but it needs to breath. As for smoke and oil consumption, that is a toss up, the rings may not be that worn out and the wiper ring could still be doing its job. Later B[/QUOTE

I had to close the vent, all air was escaping through there!!! But I agree, car runs fine, boost is ~6 psi and vaccum around 22. I wanted to test it to make sure there was no minor leak. Car pulls fine, it fuel cuts or heat soaks when I drive it for a while and step on it after. I looked for exhaust leaks, nothing I could see without taking the entire exhaust system apart.

It's the lack of power when hot. The rest is solid, I took really good care of this car....

Back