Blown head gasket for CX-5 Diesel

Patsita

:
Mazda 2 Skyactiv-D
Are there any cases here? I come from Thailand and must say that there are many people facing this problem both in Thailand and Taiwan.

I would like to collect information and a solution as well as Mazdas responsibility. Thanks.

Is there any case here?!?
I come from Thailand and must say that therere many people are facing this problem both Thailand and Taiwan.
I would like to collect information and solution as well as Mazdas responsibility...
We don't have diesel CX-5 in the US, and you won't be able to get any responses from here.

Mazda has stopped selling diesel CX-5 in Taiwan starting 2019 MY although diesel CX-5 has been the best seller for CX-5 there. That speaks the issue of blown head gasket on CX-5's diesel where Mazda apparently has no resolution yet to fix the problem other than keeps replacing the engine. In Taiwan Mazda would replace the engine for free even if the CX-5 is way over the warranty period.

IMO this blown head gasket issue is caused by engine overheating in a hot and humide environment, like in Taiwan and Thailand, when engine is working hard such as during the long uphill driving. Of course why there's no warnings from any overheating indicator or message when the engine is overheating is a mystery and Mazda apparently has no clue on this at this time.

Sadly, the Mazda diesel is a disaster. I had high hopes but all the problems they have been having, the design is flawed. Blown head gaskets are something that is not minor. Maybe it has something to do with the compression and lack of support studs/bolts in the block and head, which is not an easy fix as it's a design flaw.

The Mazda diesel is dead in the USA. That's for sure.

Back in the 80's the Big 3 all learned the hard $$ way that designing ones own diesel engine is not easy and inexpensive. So the Big 3 did what was smart. Just outsource the diesel engines to manufacturers who have been doing diesel engines for decades and they know what they are doing. No point of being a jack of all trades. So Cummins, International and I forget the 3rd were chosen. Mazda should have just outsourced their diesel to someone else (except VW). (evil)

Last edited:
The bleeding edge technology Mazda is using on the diesel would keep me away until there was a food runnkng tracn record. Its a great engine but just like the rotary I dont know if they can get the reliability from it. Glad they dont offer it in the US.

How many miles? are you under warranty or not? How did it happen? overheating? loss of coolant?
Gaskets usually dont blow out of nowhere.
The diesels are popular in europe and I see a lot over 100k.

Thank you very much yrwei52.
As we have problem here in Thailand and still no feedback from Mazda yet :(

Mazda should stop selling this in Thailand too. No more victims.

How many miles? are you under warranty or not? How did it happen? overheating? loss of coolant?
Gaskets usually dont blow out of nowhere.
The diesels are popular in europe and I see a lot over 100k.

In Thailand we found 70,000-100,000 km.

Thank you very much yrwei52.
As we have problem here in Thailand and still no feedback from Mazda yet :(

Mazda should stop selling this in Thailand too. No more victims.
From what I read in news from Taiwan those blown head gasket / overheating problems are happening on diesel CX-5 above 40,000 miles / 64,000 KM. Mazda in Taiwan didn't honor the free engine replacement until a group of CX-5 owners had a protest at Mazda headquarter in Taipei. Mazda Taiwan reported the problem to Mazda Japan, the result is those CX-5 owners would get engine replacement but didn't explain the cause of the problem. Those CX-5 owners were worried the new engine would fail again and demanded longer warranty. Eventually Mazda is simply stopped the sales on best selling diesel CX-5 in Taiwan.

Based on the stories from those diesel CX-5 owners, there's no warnings of overheating until they noticed the coolant is blown out of radiator, or the head gasket simply is blown.

There're similar stories happening in Australia too and have been reported here. Looks like Mazda Australia also offers free engine replacement even without warranty.

From what I read in news from Taiwan those blown head gasket / overheating problems are happening on diesel CX-5 above 40,000 miles / 64,000 KM. Mazda in Taiwan didn't honor the free engine replacement until a group of CX-5 owners had a protest at Mazda headquarter in Taipei. Mazda Taiwan reported the problem to Mazda Japan, the result is those CX-5 owners would get engine replacement but didn't explain the cause of the problem. Those CX-5 owners were worried the new engine would fail again and demanded longer warranty. Eventually Mazda is simply stopped the sales on best selling diesel CX-5 in Taiwan.

Based on the stories from those diesel CX-5 owners, there's no warnings of overheating until they noticed the coolant is blown out of radiator, or the head gasket simply is blown.

There're similar stories happening in Australia too and have been reported here. Looks like Mazda Australia also offers free engine replacement even without warranty.

Thank you very much yrwei52, we hope to know the cause from Mazda together with Taiwan and Australia :(

Why do they keep providing new engines. Surely a head gasket could just be changed. If they are changing engines then I would think that the block and head must be warping so a new gasket wouldn*t be effective.

Why do they keep providing new engines. Surely a head gasket could just be changed. If they are changing engines then I would think that the block and head must be warping so a new gasket wouldnt be effective.
Before the whole thing exploded, most diesel CX-5 owners in Taiwan did shave and smooth out the aluminum cylinder block and head with new gasket to fix the problem as Mazda dealers wont do this type of job because it affects the compression ratio, and even if theyre willing, itd be too expensive. Its an expensive repair nevertheless, and thats why they held the protest against Mazda in Taiwan trying to find the root cause of the problem.

Yes in most cases the aluminum cylinder block and head are wrapped or cracked caused by overheating without any warnings based on news reports.

Are these problems only on 13/14 reg cars or are newer ones also susceptible? I am surprised though that we don*t hear or see any head gasket failures on uk cars, only camshafts and turbos.

Are these problems only on 13/14 reg cars or are newer ones also susceptible? I am surprised though that we don*t hear or see any head gasket failures on uk cars, only camshafts and turbos.
So far it seems only happening on gen-1 CX-5 diesels with higher mileage over 40,000 miles. Its possible most gen-2 CX-5 diesels havent reached the mileage yet. CX-5 diesels was selling very well comparing to gas models in Taiwan, but Mazda stopped selling 2019 CX-5 diesels there after many complaints and the protest. It definitely is related to hot weather and heavy engine load. UKs weather, or most European weather is very mild comparing to the weather in Taiwan、Thailand、 or even Australia.

Looks like Mazda Australia also offers free engine replacement even without warranty.
Do you know anywhere I can get more information to support this? I am a New Zealand victim of this problem (having suffered the well documented DPF problem last year at 110,000kms, 15,000kms later I blow a head gasket! To be told by Mazda that my car is outside the warranty period (2012 model) and really this is not such a low mileage to be complaining about just doesn't wash! (My 300,000 plus 25 year old Toyota doesn't have this problem.) I would love tpo support my arguments with solid evidence that Mazda are covering the problem in other countries.

Hi Digby - did you get any response regarding...
Looks like Mazda Australia also offers free engine replacement even without warranty.

Do you know anywhere I can get more information to support this?

I have a 2014 Mazda and was left at the side of the road suddenly no warning lights nothing just drop in speed (which was very dramatic and dangerous on the fast lane of a motorway) - 2 months after getting a service with Mazda dealer - was told the head gasket was blown but no reason! I’m in IRL.

The best way to find out this is to contact Mazda Australia directly by yourself. Go to their websites and find contact info.

Yeah the worst thing on this overheating problem from Mazda 2.2L diesel is there isnt any prior warnings you can see like youd found out in a hard way.

Hi Jennifer

I have mazda 6 2.2 sport skyactive 2013, only 2 weeks ago same thing happened to me on the motorway. I've contacted mazda ireland and turns out there are 6 recalls on my car. I am also in Ireland. At the moment i have to pay for a diagnostic to be done so they can determine whether the failure was due to the fault or not. I would appreciate if you could share the details of your fault with me (I'll do the same with you) and perhaps we can use each others case to get our cars repaired.

Regards

Back