Blown away by our new CX-5 Signature.

Looks good! I considered an E92 back in 2011 but went with a Z06 instead. I've had several fun/fast cars (my 370Z was a dead ringer for the E92 that always seemed to find me on the highway for a run or two, kinda surprised, that), and I think you might be able to relate to how much I appreciate the dynamics of the CX5 turbo. Mazda really legit tuned "high end performance car" feel into it, even if its limits are far lower, dynamically, it has the same personality. I love mine because it is actually fun to drive, and it's remarkably not-soft in the lower rpms, although I do wish the stall converter setup weren't so miserly with the flash rpm when you mat it from a standstill.

Absolutely agree. This new CX-5 turbo feels/handles as if it's about 600lbs lighter than it is. I've been pleasantly surprised by that.

Where'd you hear that?

The sales manager at one of the Mazda dealerships we went to. Who knows how accurate it is. However, I will say that we bought my wife's '16 CX-5 in August of '15. So it probably isn't too far off base, from my previous experience.

Get bigger tires if you can. I saw 235 size and it looked much better.

I do plan on getting wheels with an offset that sits a little more flush with the fenders. I'll probably go with something that will fit a 235 tire without stretching. Still gotta research on that a bit.

I am torn on that. Increased lateral adhesion in otherwise stock cx5 may not be a good idea.

True. But going up slightly to a 235 tire will likely be just fine. 245+ would be pushing it. Those 225's are just so narrow. Especially next to the 285's on my M3. (rlaugh) I imagine the rears on your Z06 are easily 325+.

Last edited:
The sales manager at one of the Mazda dealerships we went to. Who knows how accurate it is. However, I will say that we bought my wife's '16 CX-5 in August of '15. So it probably isn't too far off base, from my previous experience.

Oh. (sleep) The 18s didn't come out until December, IIR FWIW. Seems to be different every year.

I know you mentioned wanting to test drive one of the turbo models. I should say that now really is a great time. The 2020's are apparently hitting lots in the next few weeks, so they're trying to offload their 2019 inventory, which lead to us getting it well below MSRP. And their current 0.9% APR financing is almost too good to be true. We were planning on just paying cash but with interest rates that low, it just didn't make sense.

Now's a great time to be shopping. (poke)

Oh I won't be shopping, but I have been wanting to see how the turbo feels.

I'm keeping my 2014 until it turns into a pile of rust. :)

I had 300,000 miles on my previous vehicle.

Congrats on your new CX-5!! The white looks great.

Went with 1 inch wider yet lighter wheel/tire combo on my mazda6....increased mpgs (not to mention better braking). The key is lighter weight!

The car already has enough traction that on the track you will notice it lifting the inside rear tire 2-4" off the ground on tight corners...more traction may not be smart money.

Absolutely agree. This new CX-5 turbo feels/handles as if it's about 600lbs lighter than it is. I've been pleasantly surprised by that.

I do plan on getting wheels with an offset that sits a little more flush with the fenders. I'll probably go with something that will fit a 235 tire without stretching. Still gotta research on that a bit.

True. But going up slightly to a 235 tire will likely be just fine. 245+ would be pushing it. Those 225's are just so narrow. Especially next to the 285's on my M3. (rlaugh) I imagine the rears on your Z06 are easily 325+.

It had 325s. It also was much lower, etc. Put 245s on a cx5 and some sticky rubber and I get you could flip it on a track driven hard.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of front plates but actually like the look of this one. I've had quite a few people ask me about it.

Better pic...
48395177821_ce27712162_h.jpg

I'd do the same for the CX-5 but the OEM front bracket is actually positioned well for a normal US style front plate. Plus, my wife likes to get the Columbine flower plates, which can't be ordered in the euro-style.

Is that plate even legal in Colorado?

Is that plate even legal in Colorado?

Apparently not in the People's Republic of Boulder.

I haven't been pulled over with it installed and have passed plenty of cops. I'm sure they 'could' give me a ticket for it but it's much better than having no front plate. My S4 had no front plate which wasn't an issue for over 2 years living in south Denver. It wasn't until I moved to the Boulder area that I started getting tickets for that.

There are a few other performance cars running around this area with euro style plates and I haven't heard of anyone running into issues. In fact, now that I think of it, I've recently noticed that Audi of Boulder uses this Euro style plate on their loaner cars. I've seen those around here pretty often.

Last edited:
I haven't been pulled over with it installed and have passed plenty of cops. I'm sure they 'could' give me a ticket for it but it's much better than having no front plate. My S4 had no front plate which wasn't an issue for over 2 years living in south Denver. It wasn't until I moved to the Boulder area that I started getting tickets for that.

There are a few other performance cars running around this area with euro style plates and I haven't heard of anyone running into issues. In fact, now that I think of it, I've recently noticed that Audi of Boulder uses this Euro style plate on their loaner cars. I've seen those around here pretty often.

Woah, where do you even get that plate?

Congrats and I'm glad you're enjoying your new CX-5 Signature. I just got mine, in Soul Red Crystal. It's stunning to look at every time and I think it's turning heads!

Congrats and I'm glad you're enjoying your new CX-5 Signature. I just got mine, in Soul Red Crystal. It's stunning to look at every time and I think it's turning heads!

Take my advise as a fellow '19 signature soul red crystal owner... when u get some time, apply some really good wax to the car. I had a bird s*** on mine, washed it off IMMEDIATELY, and it has left some ghosting on the pain. :(

They had a white RDX with red interior (A Spec Package) that I thought was really cool. In the end it came in as a close second to the CX-5 Signature.

I'm a really big Mazda/CX-5 guy but am increasingly enamored with the RDX especially fitted in Spec. Aside from what looks like $5k in costs, anything turned you off from the RDX...most complaints I hear is the infotainment is wonky to operate.

I think the CX-5 is the best looking compact SUV under $40k, but at exactly that price point that RDX is perfectly elegant to look at.

Not to poop on anyone's parade but I just had a 19 loaner for ~200m..not the turboroney but power, while not ample really wasn't my issue in this thing. They straight up ruined the seats that were really good, steering same its kinda like they girlified it..and hey I like me some girls but ah to me the cx5 lost ground..auto high beams are sweet but other than that my gen1 cpo purchase stands super strong even if its slow its still more enjoyable..to me but i guess I'm an anomoly these days..MikeM!!!!!CD..

Best car for my $..the lack of handhold bulls***, yet the adjustability pending driver mood.that veloster N is a keeper..seriously a breath of old school driving goodness..lookin at u lafhonda!..if you don't watch roadkill you should

Last edited:
Not to poop on anyone's parade but I just had a 19 loaner for ~200m..not the turboroney but power, while not ample really wasn't my issue in this thing. They straight up ruined the seats that were really good, steering same its kinda like they girlified it..and hey I like me some girls but ah to me the cx5 lost ground..auto high beams are sweet but other than that my gen1 cpo purchase stands super strong even if its slow its still more enjoyable..to me but i guess I'm an anomoly these days..MikeM!!!!!CD..

Best car for my $..the lack of handhold bulls***, yet the adjustability pending driver mood.that veloster N is a keeper..seriously a breath of old school driving goodness..lookin at u lafhonda!..if you don't watch roadkill you should

After playing with a friend's wrx sti, I think that would be my pick for a toy. It's just barely refined enough not to be track only, imo. Very very old school. Buckets of lag, stiff suspension, peaky power delivery, and a great awd with amazing brakes.

That's not very nice.

Back