Blown away by our new CX-5 Signature.

CX5-Sig

:
CX-5 Signature & F80 M3
About a month ago, I finally convinced my wife that it was time to get her a new car. She previously had a '16 CX-5 Sport, which was a solid workhorse to get her through medical residency and a lot of camping/snowboarding trips. However, it was missing so many creature comforts we've come to enjoy in our other cars. Most importantly (for me, at least), it lacked the necessary power to get us up over those high elevation mountain passes without feeling like I had to redline it half the time. E.g. - Trying to pass a semi that's cruising 20mph under the speed limit on a 2 lane road, while at 12,000ft elevation, was a real nail biter.

Once she gave me the green light, I did some initial research and began cross shopping the CX-5 Signature against the Volvo XC60, Audi Q5, Lexus RX, Acura RDX and BMW X5. While it's her car, when we are together I'm the one who typically drives us around 95% of the time. So I definitely had at least some say in the matter.

Truth be told, my initial favorite was the XC60, simply due to the exterior styling and interior comfort. However, it was by far the most "numb" feeling to drive, out of the bunch. The BMW X5 had the least welcoming/comfortable interior and my wife really didn't like the exterior styling. The Audi Q5 and Lexus RX were nice but lacked overall value, especially when you consider all the features found in the CX-5 Signature and RDX with 'Technology' package. In the end, the CX-5 Signature won out.

The exterior styling, interior quality, interior sound deadening and tech features/creature comforts are all VASTLY improved over the '16 Sport. The 360 camera is just nuts! Plus the added horsepower & torque provided by the new turbo motor give it just the right amount of "ooomph". I truly love driving this car in a way that I simply couldn't with the last one. So much so that I find myself preferring it over the M3 more often than I thought I would. More importantly, she's in love with it as well. This is the first time I've seen her truly excited about a car, which is so refreshing to see.

Anyway, onto some pics...

48426723211_3dff25e087_b.jpg

48426723276_c48511ef47_b.jpg

48426863077_6aff643856_b.jpg

48426863257_fd72692b35_b.jpg

48375004116_6e9097b844_b.jpg

We had the dealer install front tint and clear bra before bringing it home. My wife wants me to order some black wheels for it, which is AMAZING to hear because she usually rolls her eyes when I buy any sort of vehicle modifications. I'm also planning on getting some roof rails and cross bars for a snowboard rack. Hopefully I can find a set of black roof rails as I really don't like the look of the OEM chrome ones. In fact, my wife wants me to have all the chrome pieces either wrapped in gloss black or completely replaced with gloss black OEM pieces, assuming such pieces are available. The research begins...

Anyway, excited to add this baby to the stable!

Last edited:
Congrats on the Sig..

Picked mine up in late April and I love it. Its by far, the most fun Mazda I've had to drive.

The style, interior, features are just amazing.

Have fun!

Agree. I tested the turbo version a handful of times and then tried the Acura RDX. I am favoring the cx5 more. Fun SUV. No comparison.

Last edited:
Most importantly (for me, at least), it lacked the necessary power to get us up over those high elevation mountain passes without feeling like I had to redline it half the time. E.g. - Trying to pass a semi that's cruising 20mph under the speed limit on a 2 lane road, while at 12,000ft elevation, was a real nail biter.

Welcome to the forum!

I'm calling BS on this line though :p Eh...maybe I'm just lucky with my CX-5. It handles those high passes quite well. No nail biting here.

Seriously though, enjoy the new ride! I still need to give the turbo a test drive.

Last edited:
Congrats! Snag some OEM Canada all-weather floor mats. Also, PPF the B pillars. They scratch badly!

One of the stupider design choices with the 2019 in my humble opinion. They also had horrendous fingerprints with that loaner 2019 GT I has a couple weeks back.

Welcome to the forum!

I'm calling BS on this line though :p Eh...maybe I'm just lucky with my CX-5. It handles those high passes quite well. No nail biting here.

Seriously though, enjoy the new ride! I still need to give the turbo a test drive.

I hated my 2015 2.5L in similar circumstances at 1500ft elevation, lol! S-L-O-W!

My other option was a lightly used GLC43 AMG or SQ5, but I stuck with Mazda because I felt that since I wanted to keep it long-term (6-8 years), I would have a better chance hitting 200K trouble-free miles in the CX5. So far, I've been pleased with my choice. Not as pleased as OP, lol, as if I could have an M4 here I would, but pleased nonetheless!

I*m glad you*re liking your CX5. I*m also considering one. I*m curious about the cars you cross shopped as they don*t seem like comparable vehicles. Did you look at the Volvo XC40, Acura RDX, BMW X3, or X1???

In my research those seem to be much more comparable models. But I will say that I am leaning towards the 2020 CX5 as my first choice

Nice write up and congrats on the new CX-5. I feel the same about the wheels. Nice to get encouragement from the wife for new wheels. My wife disagrees with me on anything automotive. I think she would prefer me get a used rusted out, barely running Smart car with 200K on it for my next pick. I want a Macan S or GTS and would get one today if I could, but I will be lucky just to get her agreement on a CX-5T.

Living vicariously through those driving a new CX-5T that has a bit more zip. My poor old CX-5 gets a hard thrashing daily and has since 2013.

Congrats man! so happy for you and your wife!
also great M3, love the front plates.

I would definitely recommend wrapping the front grill gloss black, also the roof in gloss black as well.
I did the same on mine and i think it looks spectacular.

Another thing you should add is the sequential foglight indicators,
they are so nice and looks very OEM..

Good luck, PM me if you need any other advice on your signature, such as remote start and dashcam, i really love my Sg.
I already bought WAY too many accessories for my car..puahaha

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Congrats! Snag some OEM Canada all-weather floor mats. Also, PPF the B pillars. They scratch badly!

Yeah, I also noticed just how easily the black b-pillars get caked with finger prints and imagine they will scratch very easily. However, I had this issue on some window trim pieces on my old S4, as well. There is a plastic polish that works wonders to get those scratches out, quite easily. I'll have to try and find what I used and get some more. Once I do, I'll report back.

As for floor mats, I was thinking of ordering this set, as it comes with the cargo mat, as well. Curious if there would be any reason not to go this route?...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Welcome to the forum!

Fair enough! I think we've just been spoiled by the power provided by 'my' cars over the years.

I*m glad you*re liking your CX5. I*m also considering one. I*m curious about the cars you cross shopped as they don*t seem like comparable vehicles. Did you look at the Volvo XC40, Acura RDX, BMW X3, or X1???

In my research those seem to be much more comparable models. But I will say that I am leaning towards the 2020 CX5 as my first choice

First of all, you just pinpointed a critical error in my initial post. I meant "RDX" when I was typing "MDX". We did actually cross-shop the RDX. I'm not sure why I always get that one wrong (even when talking to the Acura salesman LOL). Corrected above. They had a white RDX with red interior (A Spec Package) that I thought was really cool. In the end it came in as a close second to the CX-5 Signature.

We test drove an XC40 and I liked it. But she thought the exterior looked too much like a "toy car" and she wasn't a fan. So that was out prior to looking at the XC60, which we both agreed looked a bit more elegant. We didn't bother with the X3 or X1 since she immeidately shot down the X5 due to not liking the style. The other 2 were very similar.

Congrats man! so happy for you and your wife!
also great M3, love the front plates.

I would definitely recommend wrapping the front grill gloss black, also the roof in gloss black as well.
I did the same on mine and i think it looks spectacular.

Another thing you should add is the sequential foglight indicators,
they are so nice and looks very OEM..

Good luck, PM me if you need any other advice on your signature, such as remote start and dashcam, i really love my Sg.
I already bought WAY too many accessories for my car..puahaha

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Thanks! In case anyone is interested, you can get custom euro style front plates made for a few different US states at customeuropeanplates.com. If I had it my way I'd go without a front plate on both cars, which I used to be able to do without issue down south of Denver. But within 2 weeks of moving up to Boulder county I received a warning and then a violation. So that's no longer an option.

I definitely plan on wrapping all of the exterior chrome pieces in gloss black, if I can't find gloss black OEM counterparts for them. I am also planning on either purchasing black roof rails. If those aren't available I'll get the OEM ones and have those wrapped as well.

Those fog lights are interesting. I'd be curious to see more pics with them installed.

Last edited:
I hated my 2015 2.5L in similar circumstances at 1500ft elevation, lol! S-L-O-W!

Fair enough! I think we've just been spoiled by the power provided by 'my' cars over the years.

Makes sense.

Sound familiar, Uno? :p

Thanks! In case anyone is interested, you can get custom euro style front plates made for a few different US states at customeuropeanplates.com. If I had it my way I'd go without a front plate on both cars, which I used to be able to do without issue down south of Denver. But within 2 weeks of moving up to Boulder county I received a warning and then a violation. So that's no longer an option.

I totally missed that in the picture. Looks really cool actually.

Well, that's Boulder for you...

Last edited:
Makes sense.

I totally missed that in the picture. Looks really cool actually.

Well, that's Boulder for you...

I'm not a fan of front plates but actually like the look of this one. I've had quite a few people ask me about it.

Better pic...
48395177821_ce27712162_h.jpg

I'd do the same for the CX-5 but the OEM front bracket is actually positioned well for a normal US style front plate. Plus, my wife likes to get the Columbine flower plates, which can't be ordered in the euro-style.

Last edited:
Yeah it looks really awesome on the BMW.

I know you mentioned wanting to test drive one of the turbo models. I should say that now really is a great time. The 2020's are apparently hitting lots in the next few weeks, so they're trying to offload their 2019 inventory, which lead to us getting it well below MSRP. And their current 0.9% APR financing is almost too good to be true. We were planning on just paying cash but with interest rates that low, it just didn't make sense.

Now's a great time to be shopping. (poke)

I'm not a fan of front plates but actually like the look of this one. I've had quite a few people ask me about it.

Better pic...
48395177821_ce27712162_h.jpg

I'd do the same for the CX-5 but the OEM front bracket is actually positioned well for a normal US style front plate. Plus, my wife likes to get the Columbine flower plates, which can't be ordered in the euro-style.

Looks good! I considered an E92 back in 2011 but went with a Z06 instead. I've had several fun/fast cars (my 370Z was a dead ringer for the E92 that always seemed to find me on the highway for a run or two, kinda surprised, that), and I think you might be able to relate to how much I appreciate the dynamics of the CX5 turbo. Mazda really legit tuned "high end performance car" feel into it, even if its limits are far lower, dynamically, it has the same personality. I love mine because it is actually fun to drive, and it's remarkably not-soft in the lower rpms, although I do wish the stall converter setup weren't so miserly with the flash rpm when you mat it from a standstill.

I am torn on that. Increased lateral adhesion in otherwise stock cx5 may not be a good idea.

Went with 1 inch wider yet lighter wheel/tire combo on my mazda6....increased mpgs (not to mention better braking). The key is lighter weight!

Back