Blow off or Bypass

wmoesser

:
2003 silver MSP
Need help to figure out what direction I want to go in. I plan to relocate the MAF in a few weeks and I don't know if I want to also go with a new Blow off valve and add it just before the MAF, or to upgrade the Bypass valve. If I were to go with a Blow off valve with a recirc kit would that give me the ability to use a blow off valve in place of the stock Bypass valve, and would it make a differences?

I guess it comes down to if I'm going to relocate the MAF does it make scene to go for a Blow off or is it just a nice to have?

if youre going through relocating the MAF, it certainly doesnt hurt to change out your BPV for something better (and rid yourself of the ungodly turkey). youve got plenty of options, you can get a BOV flange and weld it onto the pipes yourself, you can get a pipe with the proper flange pre-welded onto it... you can VTA with a relocated MAF, or you can recirculate (recirculate = marginally better performance, VTA = cooler sound by most peoples standards)... its all in what you want and how much you want to spend. keep in mind, if you want to recirculate, youll need a new nipple fitting for your intake (5/8 is way too small, 1 or 1.25").

is it possible to add a blow off to the stock location (hot pipe) or again is it better to add it to the cold pipe? I don't care about the sound so much (ya it's cool to here the pissss sound but I can take it or leave it) just want better performance and reliability (oh ya and keep it on a budget).

you can add a BOV to the hot pipe, but it's not just a simple switch. like yudkib said you need a flange and all that good stuff. though the hot pipe makes more sense for mounting a BOV as opposed to the cold pipe.

You havent mentioned your existing mods. Ie do you already have metal intercooler piping? Fmic?
If you on stock i highly suggest you dont try to mount an aftermarket bov to stock location.

Very easy to break the plastic fittings and bov is pretty heavy.

this is true, but maybe HE doesn't know that. ha.

I have a upgraded SMIC, hard pipes, injen intake, mbc (set to 8psi), upgraded motor mounts and catless J pipe.

Well you will def need a flange to weld on. If your hardpipes are to be used in stock configuration you will need to cap the bypass fittings on the hotpipe/intake or wherever they may be. As for where to put it, as lobg as there is 6 inches mor or less between bov and maf it doesntnmatter where thr bov goes as long as its before maf.

if youre trying to keep it cheap, getting a HKS flange and welding it on, or an HKS flange pipe will be cheapest. used, older HKS valves can be had for under $100 (DO NOT get an ebay one), the flange pipe is $20, and a 5/8" cap is what, a dollar?
recirculating is considerably more expensive... then you need all of the above plus a recirc outlet which is like 35, plus a matching nipple which HAS to be welded onto your intake. i dont think ive seen predone ones, though you might be able to find a 2.75" in/out with a 1 or 1.25" tee

Thanks guys I think I'm going to go with adding it to the hot pipe. Going to get the fittings to weld it in and junk. Thanks for the help

Back