Blose Dash Speakers

:
'16.5 CX-5 AWD
Are the corner dash speakers the same as the center speaker? My right mid/tweeter is buzzing and I never use the center. Would rather swap them than pay $78 for a speaker with $1.30 in manufacturing cost.

Last edited:
I don't know if the speakers are the same, but buzzing is frequently caused by a tear in the speaker's foam surround. Kits to repair the foam surround are fairly inexpensive and the process isn't that hard.

You could just replace the pair of front speakers with aftermarket ones. Might cost you all of $25/pair and probably sound better.

Toying with replacements now. Not enough data to choose replacements. I could just as easily monk it up worse than Blose did. The center speaker is visually different, but doesn't seem to sound different.

The original right dash speaker appears to have been heat damaged. The voice coil rubs the magnet gap. The foam, what little it has, is normal.

Last edited:
Yes Bose speakers usually have a very low impedance so it would be a bad idea to mix a replacement in with existing speakers otherwise you’ll end up with volume level differences of the drivers.

It might be good to save the connecting plug from the old speaker in case you need it.

Maybe. It depends on the sensitivity of the 2 speakers. Greater sensitivity in the replacement can easily make up for current loss from higher impedance. Blose is also known for low sensitivity.

Are the corner dash speakers the same as the center speaker? My right mid/tweeter is buzzing and I never use the center. Would rather swap them than pay $78 for a speaker with $1.30 in manufacturing cost.
They’re both 3.25-inch (8cm) mid-range paper-cone Twiddler® but the center one has bigger magnet which may indicate it has higher power rating. And you may have problem to put the Bose center dash speaker into the side dash location due to the bigger magnet.

Once very popular Polk Audio DB351 coaxial speakers fit side dash fine with much better sound quality especially on the high notes due to added missing tweeters on CX-5.

A larger magnet would indicate higher sensitivity (greater magnetic flux). It may also have higher power capacity, but the voice coil and glues control that.

How can I find technical data about the drivers? Where did you find the term Twiddler?

A larger magnet would indicate higher sensitivity (greater magnetic flux). It may also have higher power capacity, but the voice coil and glues control that.

How can I find technical data about the drivers? Where did you find the term Twiddler?
We all know the technical data on Bose are hard to find. I’ve seen some electrical specs and high-level diagram from Mazda workshop manual which have listed some Bose info. As far as “Twiddler®“:

RE-DESIGNED 2014 MAZDA6 FEATURES A LIGHTWEIGHT AND EFFICIENT BOSE® SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM

How can I find technical data about the drivers?
[/QUOTE]

Take a look at Crutchfield.
They tell you about the low impedance of the Bose speakers and have good quality replacements with tech info for a reasonable price.
You can also speak to a person who actually knows what will work best for you in most cases.
I entered year, make, model and confirmed Blose and Nav and up came choices for everything.

I have a 2015 CX-5 and replaced the crappy Blose speakers with good speakers and a nice subwoofer.
San Saen never sounded so good in my car.
I am not associated with Crutchfield in any way except a happy multi purchase customer.

I posted what I did in the thread above. I had forgotten this one.

The more I drive and listen, the happier I am with my changes.

Back