Block Heater Plug Location

Tsuru

:
2006 Mazda5 GS 5MT
Hi Folks,
I just picked up a used 2006 Mazda5 and since I know it was originally a lease within Canada I can almost guarantee that there's a block heater in it somewhere. The question is: where is the plug?
Any suggestions for where to begin looking are appreciated.

The block heater is a dealer-installed option so you may not have one. I don't have one in my 5 but in my MPV the cord was fed through the front bulkhead near the battery. The plug was hidden between the bulkhead and the grill.

Hi Folks,
I just picked up a used 2006 Mazda5 and since I know it was originally a lease within Canada I can almost guarantee that there's a block heater in it somewhere. The question is: where is the plug?
Any suggestions for where to begin looking are appreciated.

Find the freeze plug.

Last edited:
Just an update on this.
The location of the freeze plug is under the exhaust manifold on the driver's side. You need to remove the entire upper exhaust manifold in order to install. I've decided that since I'm switching to synthetic oil next week I'll just install a battery charger/maintainer to keep the battery charge up and that should do it.

Consider a hose heater?

I used one in an old car I drove in Montana many, many years ago.

They go in the lower radiator hose....drain the coolant, cut into it, slip in the heater and hose-clamp it in so it (obviously) won't leak.

As I don't currently have an M5, I don't know if there's clear access and a straight enough run in the lower radiator hose to install one.

However, it seemed to work pretty well, as does keeping the battery on a charger on really cold nights.

Dealer replaced mine as part of warranty when it shorted out, the first winter. The block heater is easily accessible by dealer from under the car.
They did it during an oil change.

Block heater

The 2.3 litre block heaters thread into the block, unlike some of the other ones that clamp in to replace a pressed-in frost plug. Looks more robust. I had a clamp-in style vlow out of my 4Runner on the highway years ago.

I was wondering if my battery needs replacement last winter because the car was hard to start on really cold days. It turns out I didn't have any engine block heater most of the time because it was defective and was replaced under warranty.

I was wondering if my battery needs replacement last winter because the car was hard to start on really cold days. It turns out I didn't have any engine block heater most of the time because it was defective and was replaced under warranty.

I use one of those plugs you can buy that indicates if block heater is working ok or not.

7833715.jpg

All you really need is an OHM meter. Almost every volt meter out there has an OHM meter setting. Put one lead on one of the flat plugs the other lead on the other and look at the sclae/reading. If it reads Infinity than theres a short or an open circuit ie. it doesnt change. The reading should be a few hundred ohm's.

Back