2016~2023 Blind spot & lane keep not functional

The "Public" drives the innovations and it we don't agree with "Public, failure is certainly to happen then. So Mazda should put this Lane centering (need to be in the pool of level 2 autonomous driving at this time) feature in their cars and "Drivers" can choose to turn it off and others can utilize it when needed. They need to provide the choices. I sometimes feel a bit outdated in my otherwise great car.

The public wants to jump off a bridge and we should all follow then? why should anyone have to pay for something and then deactivate it. How about those that want it only pay for it?

My problem with the uninformed and unbelievably technically ignorant public's 'want/perceived need' driving marketing (and also the laws made to mandate this garbage's implementation) is that whatever strikes the fancy of said 'public' ultimately gets rammed down my throat to accept and embrace, and, more importantly pay for all around, want it or not. I could truly care less if this autonomous BS pipe-dream fails, in fact I truly hope it does fail, miserably. So far, so good. The public doesn't want to drive? Fine, the public can move to a city and take the bus or subway. There is literally not enough money in the world to make an automobile autonomous, nor reliably partially autonomous, on the 'publically' funded road systems (the infinitely variable course) under any kind of weather conditions other than clear, bright and dry. Even that is proving to be (not shockingly) a tall order.

All of this crap is turned off in my CX5. Annoyingly, I must roll through the touch screen to turn off that damn annoying EBS every, single, bloody, time I start the damn car. Probably wear out the console's screen nav knob. Takes forever for the stupid thing to get around to the proper screen after activation. God only knows what it's 'thinking' about (after "I Agree") before flipping to the next screen...maybe because its cold out lately?, or, the car has an antiquated 8088 processor in it?

Meanwhile...in the misty rain and vehicle spray tonight, the autonomous intermittent wipers couldn't decide how to best function. Yeah, the feature sucks in this car alongside of no heated outside mirrors. The automation pretty much settled on all but constant 'on' even though many seconds of delay would have been perfectly OK (regardless of where delay adj was set). If I had the old-fashion, less costly, 3 or 4 fixed delay selections my drive home would have been less aggravating. As it was, I went manual for the entire 50 minute ride, wearing out that stalk control switch more than it needs to be. Excellent business model...charge for automation that doesn't function all that well (because 'the public' wants it, right?), and then sell more parts that get worn out because over-use. More use than it should, or would have, before the useless half-baked low-budget automation. Brilliant.

Last edited:
The public wants to jump off a bridge and we should all follow then? why should anyone have to pay for something and then deactivate it. How about those that want it only pay for it?

My problem with the uninformed and unbelievably technically ignorant public's 'want/perceived need' driving marketing (and also the laws made to mandate this garbage's implementation) is that whatever strikes the fancy of said 'public' ultimately gets rammed down my throat to accept and embrace, and, more importantly pay for all around, want it or not. I could truly care less if this autonomous BS pipe-dream fails, in fact I truly hope it does fail, miserably. So far, so good. The public doesn't want to drive? Fine, the public can move to a city and take the bus or subway. There is literally not enough money in the world to make an automobile autonomous, nor reliably partially autonomous, on the 'publically' funded road systems (the infinitely variable course) under any kind of weather conditions other than clear, bright and dry. Even that is proving to be (not shockingly) a tall order.

All of this crap is turned off in my CX5. Annoyingly, I must roll through the touch screen to turn off that damn annoying EBS every, single, bloody, time I start the damn car. Probably wear out the console's screen nav knob. Takes forever for the stupid thing to get around to the proper screen after activation. God only knows what it's 'thinking' about (after "I Agree") before flipping to the next screen...maybe because its cold out lately?, or, the car has an antiquated 8088 processor in it?

Meanwhile...in the misty rain and vehicle spray tonight, the autonomous intermittent wipers couldn't decide how to best function. Yeah, the feature sucks in this car alongside of no heated outside mirrors. The automation pretty much settled on all but constant 'on' even though many seconds of delay would have been perfectly OK (regardless of where delay adj was set). If I had the old-fashion, less costly, 3 or 4 fixed delay selections my drive home would have been less aggravating. As it was, I went manual for the entire 50 minute ride, wearing out that stalk control switch more than it needs to be. Excellent business model...charge for automation that doesn't function all that well (because 'the public' wants it, right?), and then sell more parts that get worn out because over-use. More use than it should, or would have, before the useless half-baked low-budget automation. Brilliant.

I understand your point but it is not what the general 'public' would like to have and so you could be an outlier here. If the general public wants to jump off the bridge then society has a problem at large!! Humans strive for material pleasure in some unbalanced fashion way and that's the way it is going. Can you stop the changes ???? I think NOT but yes you could find a cheap car with no bells and whistles (those will be gone in few years). Perhaps sometime in future, this 'public' may want to bring back old fashioned cars as they might get tired of too much automation and you would be in luck then .
I like automation for now and my autonomous wipers are great - love that feature. Had that in german cars for years and I liked it more in my mazda as i can set on the sensitivity that I like. I wish they had a better processor on infotainment and lane centering because it has all gizmos needed for it to work . I agree with you that they may have provided half baked solution but that is how the evolution is going to be - step by step - as companies need to see a lot of parameters for their business model. Meanwhile try to enjoy your nice and sporty car !

Yeah, the feature sucks in this car alongside of no heated outside mirrors.

Heated outside mirrors are linked to your rear defrost button.
Turn on your rear defrost and the mirrors heat up.
(Standard procedure on just about every car. My 17 year old Nissan works this way.)

Meanwhile try to enjoy your nice and sporty car !

lol...this thing is anything BUT sporty beyond its looks, but thanks. My 2010 Kizashi GTS, truly a 'sporty ride' driver's car (read minimal automation), is safely parked in the garage for the duration of the sloppy, filthy, risky driving, winter. The CX5 can absorb all the abuse the season brings...its got a long warranty to boot.

IMO, you should put the sandwich down and drive. You can eat it when you get to your destination.

Can't disagree, I should not eat. It is rare occasion.

There are many other scenarios though. It is just an aid. I'd never expect it to replace fully attentive driving. But, being human, there are times I'm a bit more confident having the system on. Certainly, I also shouldn't be reaching for gum, looking at stores I'm passing,looking at NAV map. But hey,sometimes I do.

Remember the system expects you to have hands on wheel and will not function unless you do. So,the driver is still driving. It just creates a bigger buffer from other lanes than lane departure systems. It works just as the cx9 lane departure system works, except it has less of an acceptable zone to travel back and forth within your path.

I guess no one has helped him with what OP asked for? so curious to know about it :)

This is exactly the problem w/ "automation" in a bloody car...nobody knows how any of it functions, or is supposed to. If the programming in the automation doesn't report a problem, then there must not be any then, correct?
Call Mazda (or any other auto maker) directly, they'll assist with a clear and concise explanation of how it all works (until the next module flash is performed, that is, 'updating' it all)...

Turn on your rear defrost and the mirrors heat up.

yeah, that's typically how it's worked on practically every car I've owned since the early 90s...that is, when there were actual heaters incorporated in to the mirrors (hence the gripe)...

Back