Blew it up.... Sort of!

slo03.5msp

:
03.5 yellow msp
So I think after all the years I have been part of this community this is the first time I have seen this. I cracked the ring landings on cylinder #3 and #4. The landings were being held in by the rings and there was no other internal damage.
DSCN0761.jpg

DSCN0762.jpg

DSCN0763.jpg

DSCN0760.jpg

42k miles, pretty much every bolt on available for the car right between 14-15lbs of boost. The check engine light no compression burning some oil. I didn't plan on rebuilding it. I just thought I spun the rings so I kept driving it. I drove it like that for about a month still running 14lbs of boost.

DiscreetSpeed broke his a few years back, running a lil higher boost than you. Seems the cast pistons just don't like higher boost.

Not sad at all. I over reved it. I'm trying for 300 on stock internals with a gt28rs. It was with the stock turbo. I have abused the car since new. I have been running about 12lbs daily since new. Yeah I have a ssafc. The tune was good I just lost it in first it hit 7500 rpm or so made a nice loud pop and then started smoking.

Not sad at all. I over reved it. I'm trying for 300 on stock internals with a gt28rs. It was with the stock turbo. I have abused the car since new. I have been running about 12lbs daily since new. Yeah I have a ssafc. The tune was good I just lost it in first it hit 7500 rpm or so made a nice loud pop and then started smoking.

damn really, why can some handle more boost and abuse then others? you going forged? what would be your goals for that?

No not going forged. Going for 300 on stock internals. I put factory pistons back in and a thicker head gasket to drop compression.

wow, i hope everything comes allright for you.
this time the pistons gave out. did you also replace rods with the pistons? they might be your next weak point.

must be nice running 14 psi!

Back