Blew a rear shock!!!

:
2010 Mazda5 Touring
Well, blew my left rear shock. Mazda wants
$414 dollars. Too funny! Not from THIS wallet! Anyway, now I get to put on my Moog rear shock mounts!

Well, blew my left rear shock. Mazda wants
$414 dollars. Too funny! Not from THIS wallet! Anyway, now I get to put on my Moog rear shock mounts!

Yeah, $414 is not cheap. An independent shop should be able to do it for less.

Is your 5 on original shocks? Did the one that went rust out and start leaking? How many miles on the vehicle/shocks? What shocks will you replace these with?

Let me guess, it was there for an oil change and they would have been more than happy to "take care of it" for you.

Mine blew up over the summer. I think it cost $130 for parts for both sides. $440 is probably reasonable to have it done as long as its both sides.

If it's anything like the 3 or the previous gen 5 then it's silly easy. Jack up each rear corner and put on stands, remove the rear wheels. Remove one large bolt holding the bottom of the shock onto the hub. Remove the two nuts holding the top of the shock onto the upper mount (will need a deep socket to clear the bolts). Pull it out, swap in the new one. Make sure to torque the lower bolt to at least 70 ft/lbs or it will rattle. I haven't checked on rockauto for the '12 model, but the ones on my sister's '08 were about $40-50 each for KYB shocks.

As long as the shock mounting bolts don't seize/rust into the wheelwell that is. One of the Canadians on here had one completely frozen in place and had to get medieval on its ass to get it out

OP has some shock mounts, so I think it will be a bit more involved than the 1 bottom, 2 top bolts

Yeah, original in the back. I had one replaced under warranty at 25k. This one started leaking at 88k. Will replace with Moog mounts and KYBs. I've already put KYBs on the front along with H&R springs it should be a piece of cake.

Hit the mounting bolts with some Kroil and let them simmer for a while before you remove them. Mine were OE and they came out without a fight, even though they were covered in a thick crust of road mung.

I've used something called Corrosion-X. Not cheap, but I've not found a bolt it can't unstick. As far as the shocks go, our 08 GT is low mileage (only 50k) but western PA roads are punishing and I replaced a leaking rear shock at 35k with a KYB. I replaced both rear shocks at that time. Also replaced the rear sway bar end links with Moog at around 25k and no issues.

Hmmm. I've never tried that and yet I have both fluids in my garage. If I can remember it next time, I'll give it a try. :)

I've had good experiences with PB Blasters. But then again I've never tried it on something as extremely corroded by elements that colder regions are exposed to.

I'm glad I found this thread... I live in MN/WI so it's salt bath 6+ months a year... If I can change out the broken shock mount myself this weekend, that would be great, unless everything is rusted into one chunk.... My shocks were replaced in '12 so they aren't original, but that's still 4 years worth of salt all over them...

Back