"Black Box" Big Brother?

Grey Ghost

:
04 3s 5Door
What's everyone think of the Black Boxes that come wired up to your Mazda 3 electronics? I opened my manual and a notification page fell out! Something about how certain information is recorded for a short period of time should your vehicle be involved in an accident. (To assist in helping to prevent future accidents) Let's see...it must be recording constantly to be able to do that...what kind of data?...speed?...RPM?...G-force braking? Sounds like big Brother, something I'd expect from the US, not Hiroshima.

Anyone know how to unplug the thing?

Grey Ghost

I dont know how to unplug it, but I don't think you should. Might void warranty or some bs.... if not just ask your dealer to remove it.

You're right Grey Ghost; the device records engine rpm, vehicle speed, braking pressure, and airbag deployment information (not sure about G-force data). Our 03 GM pickup also has it, as do a lot of commercial trucks on the road. I don't know who gets access to the info following a crash besides the police, but I'd imagine that in an "at-fault" crash, or one where someone was making a claim for damages or injury, that someone's insurance company would be privvy to it as well.

They are often damaged during the crash, and the info cannot be retrieved, and depending on the vehicle, some will only record info for 30 seconds after airbags deploy, or after the bumper/impact site crumples.

It was reported on the news as being used just last week here in BC for a logging truck that lost a load of logs which killed two other motorists and injured several more. The logging truck had one and they showed it on the television, hanging out of the drivers side of the engine compartment. About the size of a breadbox... black... some wires attached.... black box. Whaddayaknow.... must be where they got the name from, eh? ; )

There was some speculation that if the driver had let his truck idle for more than 30 seconds following the crash, that the info contained in the box would not be relevant, or would have been overwritten by the more recent data.

Don't go thinking that you can defeat this by just idling your car after a wreck; it's likely going to be stalled out anyhow, or engine parts necessary for its operation will have been otherwise damaged.

I will go the Little Brother route here, and while cynical in general, assume that it's somehow going to help me out if I ever need the police to get data from it. Mind you, I don't race my car illegally, but those goddamn "no right turn on red" signs. #$%**@!!! WTF! I hate those, though I'm somewhat blind to them now, I must admit. zoom zoom.

Dont hurt a thing, doesnt broadcast the signal anywhere, and it will bring your insurance premiums down. Stop worrying. (thumb)

You might want to get out the aluminum foil, fashion a cone shaped hat, and that way, they can't read your thoughts during the accident.....

badAzLava3 said:
You might want to get out the aluminum foil, fashion a cone shaped hat, and that way, they can't read your thoughts during the accident.....
(rlaugh)(rlaugh):cool:

Lower insurance premiums? If anything it will give the insurance companies one more weapon to use to weasel out of lowering your insurance.

"You were 2 mph over the speed limit when that deer ran out and totalled your car, you are at fault."

or...

"You pressed the brakes 0.2 seconds too late, due to your higher than average reaction times, we are now raising your rates."

or...

"Our black box data indicates that the tires were only generating 0.789g of braking force, where we have tested the same car with the same tires to be able to generate 0.79g of braking force. Therefore, you must not have applied the brakes 100% and we're now denying your claim and raising your rates since you don't know how to properly slam the brakes."

It has its uses, but to me the negatives outweigh the positives, and if a car of mine had one of these, I'd not hesitate to snip the wires without thinking twice about it.

KpaBap said:
Lower insurance premiums? If anything it will give the insurance companies one more weapon to use to weasel out of lowering your insurance.

"You were 2 mph over the speed limit when that deer ran out and totalled your car, you are at fault."

or...

"You pressed the brakes 0.2 seconds too late, due to your higher than average reaction times, we are now raising your rates."

or...

"Our black box data indicates that the tires were only generating 0.789g of braking force, where we have tested the same car with the same tires to be able to generate 0.79g of braking force. Therefore, you must not have applied the brakes 100% and we're now denying your claim and raising your rates since you don't know how to properly slam the brakes."

It has its uses, but to me the negatives outweigh the positives, and if a car of mine had one of these, I'd not hesitate to snip the wires without thinking twice about it.
Yes, they are all out to screw you. (boom03)

I'de be willing to bet its part of the ECU
as in there is no way in hell you can pull it out, and if you tried I'm pretty sure the car would not run

Doubtful, it would have to be an autonomous system or else it would be useless if the ECU failed in a crash.

there is the same chance for the back box to fail too, besides the ECU already has the capability to store data, telling to store more than fuel trim is not hard at all
I'm sure if mazda wanted to they could make the protege ECU do the same thing

I don't know what you're talking about
allnighte.gif

DO NOT unplug the thing. That same black box knows where your seat is positioned and how much weight is on the seat. It tells your car how much force should deploy the airbag. I'm sure that if you didn't disable the air bags entirely by unplugging it, you'd at least cause them to fire with a force unsuitable for you.

Besides, it's not like they're doing anything....

Grey Ghost said:
What's everyone think of the Black Boxes that come wired up to your Mazda 3 electronics? I opened my manual and a notification page fell out! Something about how certain information is recorded for a short period of time should your vehicle be involved in an accident. (To assist in helping to prevent future accidents) Let's see...it must be recording constantly to be able to do that...what kind of data?...speed?...RPM?...G-force braking? Sounds like big Brother, something I'd expect from the US, not Hiroshima.

Anyone know how to unplug the thing?

Grey Ghost

hey, man , for a dollar less, ill suck the dick. my premiums will go down! and so will i!

this kinda device opens the doors to more probing bulls***, but hey, lets just make fun of the people who bring this to your attention. how can you not see this an encroaching on your freedoms? there are blackboxes that monitor your language while driving....you swear alot...whoops your rates go up...social programming at its best. now let me break out my tinfoil hat and stick it up my ass.

Back