Base CX-5 Sport Non-Bose Radio. How's Your Reception?

silverevo05

:
Mazda CX 5 2.0 Manual
So I'm enjoying my Manual Transmission CX5 quite a bit but this has to be one of the worst OEM radio reception I've had in a new car.

I'm in a pretty metropolitan area without many hills, mountains etc. and the reception is there, but quite poor.

When I took my car in for the brake issue I was having, (which has since been resolved) I was in the car with the Technician for the ride along under the Service canopy and I was telling him about the brake issue and then also brought up the radio which I turned on. NOTHING but static (for those that know KROQ 106.7 in Orange County, CA) which he went to say "Ya the reception is bad because the antenna is in the window (Which I thought was in the Shark Fin) " as soon as we pulled out from the raised canopy, the reception came back again but not great. Cuts in and out and static.

We focused on the brakes (thus the radio was off for the rest of the ride)

Anything to check or change?

Thanks

I have complained about this before. The FM antenna in my 2015 is terrible. I think the radio is fine. Mazda forgot how important an antenna is to reception. For them it's all about the look. Did he say what window? I heard the rear.

So I'm enjoying my Manual Transmission CX5 quite a bit but this has to be one of the worst OEM radio reception I've had in a new car.

I'm in a pretty metropolitan area without many hills, mountains etc. and the reception is there, but quite poor.
Thanks

Enjoy the manual, great driving vehicle! I was less than impressed with the OEM's FM reception, but I must say the amplified shark fin antenna is working amazingly well with my new head-unit, a Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS. Granted, the Pioneer has an HD tuner which amazes me, but even the analog stations sound good. I also drive in hilly / mountainous areas.

By changing the head unit do you lose the steering wheel controls?

I bought a Metra Axxess ASWC-1 interface and working with them on getting it sorted. The Volume UP/DOWN and Seek UP/DOWN working without issue. The three phone switches (Off Hook, On Hook, and Voice Recognition) are not working yet, but perhaps soon.

^ Keep us posted

BTW since we have the same model, did you put in the OEM tweeters in the dash? They are plug and play I believe. I'm looking to put a kenwood sw 11 underseat sub but I don't think that will even fit

No, I was a sheeple and went with most everyone else, the Polk dB351's. Probably the best single improvement one could make to the factory system. In fact, if the KSC-SW11 will fit under the seat, it would be pretty decent sounding system.
I put a small amp and four 6-3/4 Kickers in and I don't feel the need for a sub, but I don't listen to hip-hop or rap either, so mileage varies.

^ Not my choice of music either. Are all those components plug and play or will splicing be necessary?

Thanks

Update: All of the buttons work with the Metra Axxess ASWC-1, but yes, some splicing is necessary to install it.

hi guys I replaced the stock headunit with Pioneer AVH-X4800BS, but the radio reception is weaker than the stock radio. Did you guys connect the aftermarket antenna adapter power wire? if so which stock wire/pin did you use? thanks in advance.

hi guys I replaced the stock headunit with Pioneer AVH-X4800BS, but the radio reception is weaker than the stock radio. Did you guys connect the aftermarket antenna adapter power wire? if so which stock wire/pin did you use? thanks in advance.

I used the blue "remote on" wire. This is also commonly used for remote amps. It can be used for multiple devices simultaneously.

To you folks who have gotten into radio guts. Does anyone know the exact location of the FM antenna? 2015 Sport.

I have a 2018 CX5 and the radio worked for a few months than suddenly Ive lost reception. The CP module was added and I wonder if the firmware or something they did in the install is causing this. The dealer denies it is an issue. The issue specifically is, I may restart the car a day later and all the radio stations work again, than they suddenly stop or it comes in and out.
Im pretty tech savvy so Im interested in tracing the wires to see if its is the antenna, the problem is I tried looking for any loose wires on rear window and all I see is the heater wire for the window. I dont want to pull the ceiling out trying to get access to sharkfin. From what I see there was never a response to the previous question. Im also considering upgrading the firmware to the latest version.
Any suggestions or feedback is very welcomed!
thanks!

Back