Bad Syncros?

zinger002

:
2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed6
Ok well here is the backstory as to what happened.

I was driving my buddy home and as i was leaving his house coming out of first i herd a clunk. I thought nothing of it as the first to second shift usually did that since i had bought the car. But on the next attempt to get into second from first did not happen untill the revs dropped way the hell down. This has never happened to me and since this is my first manual car i do not know how to pinpoint it. I cant downshift unless i burp the throttle, and i can not upshift untill i let the revs drop about 1000-500rpm depending on the gear. Even with the clutch down all the way to the floor. While down or upshifting if the revs are close it feels like the clutch is not depressed because it will just plain not go into gear. but if the revs are just a little off the gears will grind, then eventually will go in when the revs match up.

What should i do? i have never raced the car because nobody wants to have a go, and i rarely take the car past 4000 in first gear.
Will this be a warrenty claim? or will nothing be able to get done. The car is an 06, but the inservice date is 07.

sorry for the poor grammer/spelling/formatting, i am just really worried and dont know what i should do. I know the car needs to be lookid at but i am just more interested if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

I'm not sure what the problem would be, but I would certainly hope it would be covered under warranty. I've heard that downshifting a lot without blipping the throttle (ie just feathering into the lower gear and letting the revs catch up on their own) can cause wear on the synchros, but I don't know how true that is. Actually that's the reason I looked at your thread, because I've been worried that I do it too much.

well i am going to call into the local dealer here in edmonton and see, its not just one gear though, its all of them. each is hard to get into if i am either upshifting or down shifting. so im compleatly confused. would messing up one syncro be bad for all 6?

ok so i have calmed down. here is a little bit more of an explanation as to what happened.
i was leaving a stop sign and got to about 4k in first. thats where i usually shift from first because it seems to be the smoothest for me.
so i depressed the clutch but the car would not come out of first. it just wouldnt, so i left in the clutch and then finally it came out of gear once the revs dropped. but the clutch didnt come back out. it just held there for about 2 seconds then came out. it was really weird. and the clutch no longer has the same grabbyness it had to it. no matter how hard i let out it still seems like there is less force pushing it togeather, wot in each gear it still holds stong but the clutch pedal does not feel the same anymore.

could it be the master or slave is leaky? the fill level is about half way and it does not look very clean, its a burnt orange look, really dark at the bottom.

thats what first struck me but i will take pictures of the old parts once it is all buttoned up from the mazda dealership. apparently i need a new fly wheel too. wow is it just me or do women not know how to drive lol. ******* previous owner ruined this car. fml.

I think your car needs a new clutch master or slave cylinder.

I'm thinking this sounds like the best diagnosis. If the actual clutch or flywheel plate was shot, you wouldn't be able to pull really in any gear without the clutch slipping. This sounds like a hydraulic problem i.e. master or slave cylinder. I would have them check that out before they tear into your tranny. (As clutch replacement is wear and tear and therefore not covered under warranty)

I would think a faulty Master/Slave cylinder would be warrantied. Just trying to save you some money/headaches. Keep us posted.

well i will take pictures of the parts that come out. none the less since the car is in the show about 45 mins away i really dont have any way to get there to see for myself. too bad i dont have the tools or the right friends to help me out lol.

dude i had the same exact thing happen to me. one owner, girl driver. 43k and its gone. no matter how hard i push, the dealer won't budge so i'm paying out of pocket

I'm thinking this sounds like the best diagnosis. If the actual clutch or flywheel plate was shot, you wouldn't be able to pull really in any gear without the clutch slipping. This sounds like a hydraulic problem i.e. master or slave cylinder. I would have them check that out before they tear into your tranny. (As clutch replacement is wear and tear and therefore not covered under warranty)

I would think a faulty Master/Slave cylinder would be warrantied. Just trying to save you some money/headaches. Keep us posted.

my clutch and flywheel went, and i could drive fine all the way to bringing the car into the shop. first just took some heavy feathering to get into gear. no pulseating, no problem with the hydraulic feeling.

4500$ but that included driving belt replacement and front brakes as well dont remember the labor breakdown, but it was terrible horrible price.

Back