Bad misfire!! Need help!!!

Can't hurt to clean them both. Typically they will throw sensor-specific codes when they fail, not just a random misfire code. What code is it throwing now? Still a P0300? If you know anyone with a 2.0L protege or a 99-05 Miata you can swap the MAF out to see if that is the problem. You can always find both the MAF and EGR at a junkyard, I paid about $30 for a MAF and I still have it on my car.

If it had a misfire for a while the smoke could be caused due to raw fuel in the cat. Which is normal. U have to drive it out. I had something similar and finally had some money for maintenance...PO had been running some bad ass 99c spark plugs lol they looked like lawn mower plugs. I installed some ngk with a lower temp and it went away. Had some of the same smoking for a bit but it smelled like the fuel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i just got it checked after installing everything and it isn't throwing these anymore :

P0037 HO2S-12 (bank 1 Sensor 2) Heater Circuit Low input (Im guessing this is the 2nd o2 sensor after the pre cat)
P2009 Variable tumble control solenoid valve circuit input low ( no idea what this is)
P0090 PRC solenoid Valve circuit malfunction
P0660 Variable inertia charging system circuit malfunction

but it is still throwing the P0300.

im going to try cleaning both the egr and maf and if that doesnt work ill move to replacing the egr then the maf if need be.

thanks for the help

Check a coil. See what cylinder is doing it most and swap could. I know u just bought new coils but I got a bad one first try

Coils can be a huge problem with our car. They can be bad right out of the box. (as mentioned).
They can bench test fine but not work on the car... even then they decide to fail when the feel like it... Temperature, load, humidity whatever decides to upset them.

Coils might be the only replacement part I'd consider going with OEM. (although my Beck-Arnley have been working fine)
I keep my old coils in the truck in case mine decide to get fussy.

Coils can be a huge problem with our car. They can be bad right out of the box. (as mentioned).
They can bench test fine but not work on the car... even then they decide to fail when the feel like it... Temperature, load, humidity whatever decides to upset them.

Coils might be the only replacement part I'd consider going with OEM. (although my Beck-Arnley have been working fine)
I keep my old coils in the truck in case mine decide to get fussy.

I'm running the becks and haven't had any issues

A miss fire is the only code that flashes the CEL on our car.
It only takes a few seconds of unburnt fuel on the pre-cat to destroy it.

When the car throws that code, the ECU goes into stupid mode and dumps extra fuel into the engine (to help protect it) and the engine has no power.

Last edited:
A miss fire is the only code that flashes the CEL on our car.
It only takes a few seconds of unburnt fuel on the pre-cat to destroy it.

When the car throws that code, the ECU goes into stupid mode and dumps extra fuel into the engine (to help protect it) and the engine has no power.

I'd build one of those "poor man's" smoke machines out of a paint can. Google it, lots of instructions on the net. I had an issue like yours, smoked the whole engine and found major cracking at the rubber air intake tube that I couldn't see without using the smoke. Unmetered air in = lots of fuel being commanded by the ECU. Engine is being driven lean, computers trying to push it to the other end of the scale....rich. Worth a try IMO....

Back