Backup camera - 2014 CX-5 - Best place for ACC power tap / recommendations?

Hey folks -

I purchased this power adapter cable to have a backup camera work with my existing head unit:

The camera works - I wired it to my reverse lamp and I can go into diagnostic menu 92 and see the camera screen when the car is in reverse. But - it does not work when I just shift into reverse - the infotainment screen just stays right where it is (radio / cd / whatever is active).

From reading more on these forums (awesome!), it sounds like this is not the right way to do it - that I must wire the camera to ACC power for it to work as the head unit must detect the camera is lit / active at the exact moment when the car turns on? In the diagnostic menu, option 15, I see that when I shift into reverse, the head unit does recognize this shift...so I don't think I need to tap into the reverse signal wire on the back of the head unit.

Does anyone have a suggestion of where best to wire into for ACC power? E.g. instead of the reverse lamp - could I use the rear windshield wiper or something else in the back tailgate (rather than bringing a wire for power all the way forward to the fuse box)?

Thanks!

Hi Brad. What Camera did you use for the install?

I have the same car and same adapter. I wired my camera to the rear wiper as you did. Verified volts with a multimeter but I'm not getting a signal when I look at menu 92. I think the camera is DOA so I need to find a new one. So many choices. Figured I'd ask what you got since you got it working.

This is what I got.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Thanks in advance!

The one downside I found after a while of wiring into the rear windshield wiper line was that when the wiper engages - the camera goes out briefly and then comes back when the wiper is down. But I did not notice this till I closed everything up :). Not going to undo it now...

Thanks for that.
I'm not very skilled at this sort of install. I have done some speakers and head units a long time ago never a camera though. I can't figure out what's wrong with this thing.

I'll probably just leave the tap at the wiper since I rarely use the thing and try a new camera.

Did you have a wiring diagram or just used a multimeter to test for the pos/negative wires?

Thanks for that.
I'm not very skilled at this sort of install. I have done some speakers and head units a long time ago never a camera though. I can't figure out what's wrong with this thing.

I'll probably just leave the tap at the wiper since I rarely use the thing and try a new camera.

Did you have a wiring diagram or just used a multimeter to test for the pos/negative wires?
I used a multimeter to test for power and found it, then tested before putting it all back together.

@brad-Mazda thanks for starting this post
Did you need to get anything else other than that cable?
I am also thinking about keeping the stock head unit, and buying an aftermarket camera, so this seems like an extremely affordable option.
I also found this -> https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AX-MAZCAM-6V, so not sure what is the difference, if you know.
Btw, do you have front/back parking sensors, and if so - how do they work/show when you go in reverse?
Thanks in advance

Back