backfires

i get nothing.. stock exhaust everything still on it.. but damn firing flames out when shifting would be wicked.

before i tuned my car my exhaust would shoot a little fireball.I never got to see the flames but at night it would lite up the surrounding area, it was pretty cool

The MSP has the heart of a rotary. I get backfires as well, but have yet to have a documented flame. MSP running rich+ Hot EGT's = elementary entertainment.

+1 for bad ass picture.

JCell said:
WOT and shifting quickly at 5500 rpm usually gets a fireball to come out the back

me on a cold night
backfire.jpg

thanks, me and mazpro spend about an hour looking for a program to take the still image from a video in good quality

results speak for themselves

i get back fire allll of the time with the vibrant. i love it! the best is when im under a bridge and the sound amplifies, sounds like a gun shot.

i get them a lot also pretty damn loud. i have a 3" dump pipe with high flow cat no muffler...im goin catless soon!!

oh the backfire... yea im running the Vibrant and get crazy pops when i downshift and coast, and cannon blasts if im shifting hard or blip the gas at 2k rpms, especially after driving her hard (running rich). I installed the Unichip which i thought would keep the backfiring to a minimum since it leans out the a/f to a reasonable level, but it's still goin strong. anyone else firing even with a unichip?

My friend was driving my car up and down the block 2 weeks and a massive fireball came out of the exhaust comparable to the fireballs my friend's 500 hp Skyline shoots out.

Last edited:
1moreMPH said:
oh the backfire... yea im running the Vibrant and get crazy pops when i downshift and coast, and cannon blasts if im shifting hard or blip the gas at 2k rpms, especially after driving her hard (running rich). I installed the Unichip which i thought would keep the backfiring to a minimum since it leans out the a/f to a reasonable level, but it's still goin strong. anyone else firing even with a unichip?

Yeah i still get the gun shots out the exhaust....and i still LOVE IT! lol. Happens for me on command when i decel to like 2-2,500rpm, then snap the throttle on a downshift....

Jspeed17 said:
Yeah i still get the gun shots out the exhaust....and i still LOVE IT! lol. Happens for me on command when i decel to like 2-2,500rpm, then snap the throttle on a downshift....

Yessir.. I thought I was weird cause I liked it when it backfired..

My friends were like, "Thats not a good thing to do."
I was like "Whatever.." lol
I have a cat and it still backfires sometimes..

damn i want a backfire just so i can have a fireball come out of my exhaust and burn those ******* tailgaters LOL

I use to have some with my corksport exhaust. With the GHL none at all. But now with the PG intake mani I'm getting backfires again. Must be running rich?

when i had my 3" tbe (no cat), nothing but fireballs. msp's run so damn rich without a good tune.

MSP_4_CODY said:
damn i backfire all the time buti dont htink i ever shoot fire.... i wanna lol
With your mods you probably do.

I just happened to catch mine out of the corner of my eye in the mirror. Then my brother followed me and saw fireballs.(flame2)

Back