Awkward Reflection

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I find that under some sunlight conditions the entire chrome bezel surrounding the AC vent on the drivers' side is reflected in the drivers side rear view mirror. It is reflected so completely under some lighting conditions that the rear view in that mirror is quite obscured. I like all of the car's chrome touches but I'm surprised Mazda didn't catch this issue prior to production and come up with an elegant solution.

This has been reported before and I see it, too, but only when I'm looking to see it. Most days I drive the car, use the side mirrors and never even notice it. If you focus on the reflection, that's where your eyes will focus instead of the view to the rear. Ignore it and it goes away.

Old news. At one point Mazda was replacing the chrome bezels with black if you complained enough.
You can remove them and plasti-dip them or even tape them with black tape if it bothers you.
I've had it on my 16 for 5 years now and I don't even notice it anymore.

On our 19 Reserve they've moved the vents lower so they don't reflect in the rear view mirror anymore.

Haven't had this problem. During daylight hours, I'm usually using polarized sunglasses.

You could easily vinyl wrap them if you're having an issue, though.

Last edited:
Old news. At one point Mazda was replacing the chrome bezels with black if you complained enough.
You can remove them and plasti-dip them or even tape them with black tape if it bothers you.
I've had it on my 16 for 5 years now and I don't even notice it anymore.

On our 19 Reserve they've moved the vents lower so they don't reflect in the rear view mirror anymore.
To me although the side AC vents have moved lower, I still can see the chrome vent reflection on the side rear view mirror when I test drove the gen-2 CX-5’s. And the OP making such complaint does have a gen-2 CX-5.

To me although the side AC vents have moved lower, I still can see the chrome vent reflection on the side rear view mirror when I test drove the gen-2 CX-5’s. And the OP making such complaint does have a gen-2 CX-5.
That was the first thing I looked for when we got our Reserve. I didn't see it. I'll revisit it the next time I drive and see if I can see it. It might have something to do with the height of the seat.

Didn't folks complain and dealer responded by inserting blacked out version covers?

I find that under some sunlight conditions the entire chrome bezel surrounding the AC vent on the drivers' side is reflected in the drivers side rear view mirror. It is reflected so completely under some lighting conditions that the rear view in that mirror is quite obscured. I like all of the car's chrome touches but I'm surprised Mazda didn't catch this issue prior to production and come up with an elegant solution.

It's not the rear view mirror that is causing the reflection. The reflection is being caused in the driver side window. Roll down the window and you'll see the reflection go away. It's not ideal but it won't change. I have 2019 signature

Thanks I'll give that a try. Mazda might try black chrome. Beautiful.

Thanks I'll give that a try. Mazda might try black chrome. Beautiful.
I paid attention today in our GTR and you can see the reflection. It's not as bad as my 16 ( I guess because they lowered the vents some) but it's still there.

Mazda only replaced them with black on the 16's because they made black ones that fit the 16s in years prior. They don't have them for 17+ so you're our of luck there.

There was a dude here once calling it "life threateningly dangerous" I kid you not.

Been reported as an issue since the 2016 model year. Like 7 said, it was the same design as the prior year CX-5's (like my 2014), so they just swapped them back to the black ones. No idea why they went to chrome again in Gen 2.

I only purchased my Signature in August of 2019 so I am not caught up on all the "old posts".

I only purchased my Signature in August of 2019 so I am not caught up on all the "old posts".
Same here.

I read a bit before I purchased, but only the important stuff. There was no lawsuit regarding retina burn, so I figured it was no big deal ;)

The mirror reflection is indeed caused by the window glass. So if you need a clear view behind you you must lower it.

At night the whole dashboard reflects in the drivers window.

I think it depends on how you sit. I have the seat all the way back and down. I do not see the dashboard reflection at all. I have noticed the mirror reflection, however. Thanks to this thread!

The mirror reflection is indeed caused by the window glass. So if you need a clear view behind you you must lower it.
I don't understand what you're referring to here.

I notice the dash lights reflected at the top of the windshield when driving at night.

What's the mirror reflection about? Rear view or side mirrors?

Maybe I don't want to know...I never noticed the dash reflection until reading about it here.

Back