Aux Input Issues

icolbowca

:
2009 Mazda, CX-9, Grand Touring AWD
2009 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring AWD (fully-loaded)

Have an issue with the aux input. I connect any device using a factory aux input cable and start to play music. Music plays for a bit, but then begins to turn off/on intermittently. Can't seem to figure out why. Seems like the music will start for about a minute and then every 20 seconds or so it will turn off, and come back on 10 - 15 secs. later. Can anyone help?

1. - "factory aux input cable" are you talking about a 3.5mm male to male patch cable or are you talking about the accessory ipod adaper kit sold by Mazda.
2. - Is your device turning on off or is your head unit turning on off.
3. - If you are talking about the 3.5mm aux input for a stereo patch cable, have you tried a different cable? (these are about a dollar on ebay).
4. - I know you say "fully-loaded" but just to make sure, you have navigation? (affects audio)
5. - can you plug your device into a regular amp/stereo at home and have it work without turning off at all?

Possible causes - bad cable, cable is not plugged in all the way on both ends, problem with your computer, software you are using for your mp3's/aac's, problem transfering your music to your devices, a setting on your device, navigation setting, if you have the ipod adapter kit, could be the connector is loose, problem with your car battery, alternator, many things.

Need to narrow down the possibilities as listed above.

In response to helbigtw:

1. I am talking about the 3.5mm male to male patch cable. Have tried several with no success.
2. Head unit is turning on/off. Actually, music stops playing and resumes playing. Systems don't actually turn off, per se.
3. Yes, I have navigation.
4. Devices work fine in other settings. Devices I have used in vehicle and been presented with this exact issue include: iphone, Android phone, and Sony MP3 player.

Hope this helps. Thanks!

If you are just using the headphone jack and have the nav unit "audio" selected with "aux" and just have that white screen, your iphone/other device would continue playing at least for a little while. My "classic" 80gb ipod will shut off automatically after awhile if it senses that the car is just sitting in the driveway turned off, but its a good long while. That's really weird. If you ipod/iphone is still playing and the audio just cuts out... sounds like that would be a problem with the head unit or with the cord or jack in the center console. You may have to take off the center stack trim and remove your nav unit, take a spare stereo cord, and splice one end into the back of the nav unit and that would tell you if the problem is in that cord that goes back to the center console. If it turns out its your nav unit, then God is telling you its time for a nice aftermarket unit.(drinks)

I have / had this same issue. I also have a 2009, probably same specs as yours...GT AWD, Nav, etc. I say have / had because it has been very frustrating and I'm not sure it was ever really resolved. We had it in twice to the dealer while it was under warranty and they noted the issue in their notes if I continue to have it...out of warranty now. It never seemed to happen consistently, so of course it was hard to replicate for them. The first time we had it in they could not replicate the problem and said they could not find a problem. The next time they replaced some kind of box or switch related to the satellite radio and we had to re-register our sat radio subscription to the new box. We don't use the aux port very often, so I can't say for sure that it has been totally solved, but it seems the few times I have used it since I don't recall having the problem. I know exactly what you mean, it would play for 20-30 seconds and then cut out for a few seconds. I had it happen with portable dvd players, ipods, iphones...so it doesn't seem to be source related. At one point they told us to not put so much stuff in the center console because that could be causing a bad connection to the aux port, or causing a short, but that seems like BS. I also tried multiple cables, so I know it wasn't the cables. It has been one of the few problems we have had with this vehicle, but it's not something we use often, so I've kind of gotten over it bothering me much...used to bother me big time when it was new. That said, I rarely drive it, my wife does, so I suppose if I drove it more I would be testing the issue more to make sure it was fixed. We have almost 50,000 miles on it now. If you come across any new information, please pass it on.

Nuzy,

Good to know that I'm not the only one. Like you I never drive the car because it's my wife's car. Unfortunately, I wasn't as smart as you and failed to take in the car for this specific issue before the warranty expired. So it seems that the onus is on me now to fix it somehow. Only advice I've gotten so far is to replace the whole thing... fat chance of that happening! Way too expensive to replace for something that we've ultimately learned to live without. Oh welll... have to chaulk it up as a learning experience and move on at this point.

Back