Off Topic Automotive Technician's point of view

Over the years I've had a number of short online conversations with various automaker techs, and they all say the exact same thing about the flat rate system that this guy spoke about in the video. The flat rate system is universally put down by virtually everyone on the tech side and is a good thing only for the white-collar side of the dealerships, who continue to make top dollar compensation, at the expense of those dirty guys who do all of the grunt work.

This young fellow in the video is certainly intelligent and very well spoken, and I personally enjoyed the whole thing, because I'm interested in this stuff. That said, IMO the first half of the video was just a bit too much on the whiney side. The really important and key part of what he was trying to say is the last half, where he describes flat rate and the shortage of qualified techs. And unfortunately, I think he might be losing a number of people early, who don't want to sit through and hour of his personal complaining, when in fact he really hits the mark very well in the second half.

So I think he should have started the video by providing the point where people could choose to skip to (27 minutes or so), if they didn't care to hear all of his personal background information. Then everyone would get to see the much more important messages in the last half of the video. Well done presentation nevertheless, and thanks to you for posting it here (y)

Latest posts

Back