Automatic Transmission output shaft bearing

Jvmarino

:
2008 Mazda5
So I am new to the Maxda world, but have much experience with many other vehicles I own/have owned.

I just purchased a used 2008 Mazda5, with about 76,000 miles on it. I knew about a highway noise that seemed to be wheel bearings as it was louder at higher speeds and went away in a right turn. While I couldn't believe a wheel bearing would be bad at such a low mileage number, I proceeded to have both front bearings replaced. Noise is still there and mechanic then showed me the driver side half shaft has movement up/down where the shaft goes into the differential. Again, amazed that this could be bad on such a low mileage vehicle (just as a reference, I have run some of my other cars over 200,000 miles, with no driveline issues until I approached 150,000 miles). He pulled shaft and confirmed the shaft had no wear in it, which leads me to believe the bearing on the differential output is worn.

I have been searching the Internet for the last 2 days and have found no mention of this by others with a Mazda5 or Mazda3.

Is this typical, and is there any way to replace the bearings with transmission in the car?

Jim

Exactly as you described besides I’ve had to take it further replaced front bearings and CV axles at around hundred thousand miles I’m sorry 120,000 miles currently at 130,000 i’ve been to multiple shops which no one found a little bit of players that started of course can’t believe it’s made 10,000 miles until there’s no question that it’s the output bearing for sure I’ve been on this car replacing control on everything bushings everything wiggling wheels and it had to get to the point where good half inch player at least that just happened today I had to work last couple days at least read a notice and find it several shops couldon’t if they even tried these days vehicle probably sat in the lot the whole time and I got my inspection sheet without them even doing it wouldn’t put it past it anyway sorry to rantjust discovered tonight exact same movement everything else is exactly as here’s my questions are the same plus one anybody or do you happen to know what the cost of putting a transmission in one of these things also or even fixing that bearing if one were to fix just that one bearing it’s amazing the assembly line products of our current age compared to the combined my buddy was talking about with me earlier tonight which is from 1930 still purring like a kitten with 127 grease zirts Wish you luck with yours

Just found the date on your post I’ll rephrase my entire post now how did it turn out cost wise and what not if you added up having to deal with it I’m in a 2010 Mazda three and yes of course it’s now 2020 cheerio

Never had to do anything about it. I called some transmission shops and they said that what I described was not an issue if there is no fluid leaking from the seal. It turned out that one of my rear wheel bearings was the problem so I really had little faith in the mechanic who was replacing the front bearings anyway.

Back