Automatic transmission maintenance requirement ??

Do not go to any of the links on thread #19, can someone report this to a moderator and get rid of this. I tried and can't figure out how.

See, now I'm curious as to what these mystery links were >.<

...can someone report this to a moderator and get rid of this. I tried and can't figure out how.
FYI - there is a small icon in the lower left of each post that looks like an exclamation point inside of a triangle. Click that icon to report a post.

How did you determine fluid level? Service manual specifies level check at 113 - 131 degrees. Did you use OBD temp check? The old "check it when its hot" doesn't apply here. Not being critical, just trying to get an opinion. Probably will be doing it myself @ 25k miles. Been doing it to all my auto trans vehicles, never believed in "lifetime" fluids.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B25LTCZZu_VuRUpxUDItcXJhNGc/edit?pli=1

Quoted from within...

SKYACTIV-DRIVE FW6A-EL AT with “ATF-FZ” is "filled for life" (no change intervals for ATF required) and

flushing is not recommended as part of service maintenance. There are no oil cooler lines and the replacement

SKYACTIV-DRIVE FW6A-EL AT will come with a new oil cooler, which is mounted directly to the case. If repair

or AT replacement is necessary, use only “ATF-FZ” to fill the AT.

Not telling anybody how to maintain their car...
Just suggesting to entertain the possibility that Mazda knew what they were doing when they make a statement as bold as "lifetime fill". Though, non-serviceable components seem to be the "in" thing right now

I'm not going to depend on the old "beliefs" including 25K tranny fluid changes and or flushes, 3K oil changes, thicker oil in hot climates, premium fuel in cars designed to run on regular, pushrod engines, solid rear axles, manual trannys are best. Personally I am following Mazda's advice regarding maintenance, but I'm not telling anybody how to maintain their car...

You don't have to guess about whether Mazda's ATF maintenance schedule is sound or whether the fluid is OK. Take a sample of the fluid and send it in for analysis. The TAN (total acid number) is a good indication of when the fluid is done. It's best to get a sample when the fluid is new also for comparison purposes.

ep
I'm not going to depend on the old "beliefs" including 25K tranny fluid changes and or flushes, 3K oil changes, thicker oil in hot climates, premium fuel in cars designed to run on regular, pushrod engines, solid rear axles, manual trannys are best. Personally I am following Mazda's advice regarding maintenance, but I'm not telling anybody how to maintain their car...

"The transmission fluid and filter installed at the factory will provide satisfactory service for the life of your car under normal use and service, and need not be changed."
Quote is from a 1968 Dodge Dart manual. The concept of "maintenance free" is an "old belief". The Mazda trans fluid is tough, but I tend to keep my cars well into the 100k mile arena, I prefer to change it a few times so when it's out of warranty, there's less chance of issues popping up. Not taking anything away from, Mazda- it's a great vehicle, just something I enjoy doing. Don't know why people have a hard time with that.

ep

"The transmission fluid and filter installed at the factory will provide satisfactory service for the life of your car under normal use and service, and need not be changed."
Quote is from a 1968 Dodge Dart manual. The concept of "maintenance free" is an "old belief". The Mazda trans fluid is tough, but I tend to keep my cars well into the 100k mile arena, I prefer to change it a few times so when it's out of warranty, there's less chance of issues popping up. Not taking anything away from, Mazda- it's a great vehicle, just something I enjoy doing. Don't know why people have a hard time with that.

That's not an "old belief", it's an actual quote from an 1968 Dodge Dart owners manual. But unlike some Dodges it was probably a very durable drivetrain, despite a very different fluid and transmission back in the 60's. I don't think anybody is having a hard time remembering the good old days, or concept of changing fluids frequently to make one feel better. Like it was said above (twice), "I'm not telling anybody how to maintain their car."

Back