Autoflex Spray Shield

:
2019 cx-5 signature. 2019 cx-3 awd touring
For those with PPF or wanting PPF, have you ever heard of autoflex spray shield?
I have PPF done on my front end but found out autoflex spray shield could be a better alternative.
It's definitely much easier on the wallet, and seamless!
here's a video of what it does,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkmyCbrGttc

i'm getting my rear bumper done, can't wait....and if you're from NYC, LI area look up Prodipper, seems like he's the only one offering it,
https://www.instagram.com/prodipper/

I'm definitely getting this done on my future cars for sure, it's seamless and un-noticeable,
i think it'll give the PPF installers a run for their money, or at least bring their pricing down.

I had only heard of Autoflex as a sprayable vinyl (competing with vinyl wraps). I like that it's cheap, but it also looks pretty cheap. Lots of imperfections in the finish (orange peel). Maybe if the application were better it wouldn't look so bad, but based on the video you linked, I'd pass (regardless of how cheap it is). The nice thing about PPF these days is that the only way to tell its there is to look for the seams. PPF can be laid down to look just as smooth as the paint underneath it.

that video is to show what it can do,
it's not really a good indicator of it's quality and finish, you know it was sprayed on a salvaged wrecked panel right?
maybe this might be a better link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDUHsUjSQwY

btw. autoflex is the more "sophisticated" version of plastidip,
it needs to be done at a spray booth and baked just like paint, so in comparison, it's finish is better than vinyl, basically it's peelable paint that you can wet sand and polish.

Last edited:
it's not really a good indicator of it's quality and finish, you know it was sprayed on a salvaged wrecked panel right?
it needs to be done at a spray booth and baked just like paint, so in comparison, it's finish is better than vinyl, basically it's peelable paint that you can wet sand and polish.

This would be a hard pass for me.

As you mentioned, this stuff has to be treated just like paint, and is actually more of a hassle...
- 2 "tack" coats
- 10 "wet" coats (with 30 minutes of drying between each)
- 2 "autoflex" coats (with drying overnight)

What are the chances that all of these coats gets mixed, filtered, and applied properly?
And that no dust/dirt settles in any of the 14 coats?
Or that no runs, drips, orange peel develops?

What are the chances that the vehicle is properly masked/taped?
That no overspray gets on the glass/trim/moldings/wheels/tires/ect?

Yes, obviously I can see that it's a salvaged panel. The video you just posted proves my point.

Here's a screenshot of the video you posted, which shows the Autoflex being applied by a professional "dipper".

attachment.php

And here's a dealer photo of the OEM finish. I picked a less than ideal photo on purpose.

attachment.php

To my eye, the Autoflex'd Porsche loses a lot of clarity (though it could be because of the video's exposure). I also noticed that the video doesn't provide any close ups of the finish after the fact, they only show it being sprayed (which of course will always look good as it is still wet). The channel that posted that video almost always dedicates 30-60s to do beauty shots of the finish at the end of the video. It wasn't done here for some reason.

Maybe it's just me, but if I wanted to avoid seams, I'd get an entire panel wrapped in PPF instead of getting someone to apply Autoflex.

Attachments

• autoflex.JPG
    autoflex.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 806
  • OEMfinish.JPG
    OEMfinish.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 793
Same could be said when your car gets fixed after a car accident
same could be said when your car gets it's wheels rotated,
same could be said when your car gets an oil change...etc...hmmmmm
how does one know it's done properly???

I would think that is a job of the trained professional to make sure it's properly applied, same goes for PPF and everything that gets done in the service industry.
You pay for a service, you expect it to be done properly right?

This would be a hard pass for me.

As you mentioned, this stuff has to be treated just like paint, and is actually more of a hassle...
- 2 "tack" coats
- 10 "wet" coats (with 30 minutes of drying between each)
- 2 "autoflex" coats (with drying overnight)

What are the chances that all of these coats gets mixed, filtered, and applied properly?
And that no dust/dirt settles in any of the 14 coats?
Or that no runs, drips, orange peel develops?

What are the chances that the vehicle is properly masked/taped?
That no overspray gets on the glass/trim/moldings/wheels/tires/ect?

You are right, It could be the clarity of the video,
how about this walk around video that has autoflex spray shield applied,
is it good enough for a better assessment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XkrTy7HD6U
https://www.instagram.com/p/B2_2iXmns9w/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

this product is fairly new to the scene, so i get how many people can be skeptical,
especially since it requires a professional paint booth to get it applied.
But i do think it's definitely a viable alternative to PPF,
There are other forums that talk about this product as well "tesla" that seems to have great reviews.

To my eye, the Autoflex'd Porsche loses a lot of clarity (though it could be because of the video's exposure). I also noticed that the video doesn't provide any close ups of the finish after the fact, they only show it being sprayed (which of course will always look good as it is still wet). The channel that posted that video almost always dedicates 30-60s to do beauty shots of the finish at the end of the video. It wasn't done here for some reason.

Maybe it's just me, but if I wanted to avoid seams, I'd get an entire panel wrapped in PPF instead of getting someone to apply Autoflex.

Last edited:
Same could be said when your car gets fixed after a car accident
same could be said when your car gets it's wheels rotated,
same could be said when your car gets an oil change...etc...hmmmmm
how does one know it's done properly???

I would think that is a job of the trained professional to make sure it's properly applied, same goes for PPF and everything that gets done in the service industry.
You pay for a service, you expect it to be done properly right?

You are helping prove my point...A car is NEVER the same after being in an accident and going to a body shop.
Overspray, sanding marks, pigtails, drips, runs, orange peel, dust, panels not matching, ect.

You are quite naive to assume that "trained professionals" are going to "make sure it is properly applied."
Have you not seen the state of the service industry in this country?

Professional mechanics routinely screw up the most basic service/maintenance, yet you assume a 14-stage 'painting' process will be done properly, because they are supposedly "trained professionals"? Haha.
This is why I do everything I can myself, including oil changes and tire rotations.

PPF is a premade film applied to a vehicle in a SINGLE layer. It is often precut using computer generated templates. This take a lot of the difficulty and skill out of the process, minimizing the cost and chance for something to go wrong.

Contrast this with the spray shield you are promoting. You need a highly skilled expert, with a fully equipped paint booth, to apply this stuff. And doing so is a FOURTEEN step process, not including all of the prep work involved. Even if the stars align and everything happens to go perfectly, you still end up with a cloudy/milky paint surface.

Besides, I would estimate this will cost 3x - 5x more than PPF. I don't see why anyone would opt for this over PPF at this point.

You really have no idea about autoflex do you? Do you even know anyone who has done it?

And I guess you didnt read the part that its more economical than ppf? (Its on my first post as I was stating that this could be a good alternative)
And I guess you also missed the part thats its also removable? (Translation, safe on your car and original paint)

This is what makes this such a good product.
Its ok if you call me naive, but I guess its good to know Im not ignorant.

I get you being very skeptical, You dont know too much about this new product or know anyone whos had it done, and thats ok, thats your opinion and its not for everyone.

You are helping prove my point...A car is NEVER the same after being in an accident and going to a body shop.
Overspray, sanding marks, pigtails, drips, runs, orange peel, dust, panels not matching, ect.

You are quite naive to assume that "trained professionals" are going to "make sure it is properly applied."
Have you not seen the state of the service industry in this country?

Professional mechanics routinely screw up the most basic service/maintenance, yet you assume a 14-stage 'painting' process will be done properly, because they are supposedly "trained professionals"? Haha.
This is why I do everything I can myself, including oil changes and tire rotations.

PPF is a premade film applied to a vehicle in a SINGLE layer. It is often precut using computer generated templates. This take a lot of the difficulty and skill out of the process, minimizing the cost and chance for something to go wrong.

Contrast this with the spray shield you are promoting. You need a highly skilled expert, with a fully equipped paint booth, to apply this stuff. And doing so is a FOURTEEN step process, not including all of the prep work involved. Even if the stars align and everything happens to go perfectly, you still end up with a cloudy/milky paint surface.

Besides, I would estimate this will cost 3x - 5x more than PPF. I don't see why anyone would opt for this over PPF at this point.

And I guess you didnt read the part that its more economical than ppf?
And I guess you also missed the part thats its also removable? (Translation, safe on your car and original paint)

I hate to burst your bubble, but the 14-step, multi-product process the guy went through in your video is NOT going to be cheaper than PPF.

Secondly, being removable doesn't negate all of the issues/problems I mentioned with this process.
It might be safe for the original paint, but you will still be looking at embedded dust/dirt, orange peel, drips/runs, overspray, masking lines, ect.

And the bigger question is how this stuff actually performs at protecting your vehicle.
PPF is ~8.0 mils thick. PPF also has self-healing properties.
How does the spray-on stuff compare?

And it isn't always as simple as peeling it off..
https://www.hellcat.org/threads/part-product-review-part-cautionary-tale.132513/

i hate to burst your bubble, but it is more economical than PPF,
How do i know? I've asked an actual installer, have you?

Do you even know how much PPF goes for?
maybe it's more cheaper where you are, but in NYC, it's anywhere from $1800 - $3000 for the FULL front end..
Do you know how much it is with Autoflex Spray shield for the same coverage?
I'll wait and let you answer that...

secondly, yes i do agree that being removable doesn't necessarily negate the issues/ problems, as you so well pointed out in the hellcat forum,
But guess what? not everything is perfect, you think there's no issues with PPF? Ha, you're sadly mistaken if you think PPF is a perfect process/ product.
This is WHY you do your due diligence and go to a reputable installer for EVERYTHING, that's basic 101.
And if they mess it up, they will have your back. But maybe you never experienced what GOOD customer service really is huh?

oh btw, let's read what this forum user had to say and get yourself a bit more educated on autoflex.
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/foru...-concept-silver-during-reveal#comment-1543195

Thank you Next!

I hate to burst your bubble, but the 14-step, multi-product process the guy went through in your video is NOT going to be cheaper than PPF.

Secondly, being removable doesn't negate all of the issues/problems I mentioned with this process.
It might be safe for the original paint, but you will still be looking at embedded dust/dirt, orange peel, drips/runs, overspray, masking lines, ect.

And the bigger question is how this stuff actually performs at protecting your vehicle.
PPF is ~8.0 mils thick. PPF also has self-healing properties.
How does the spray-on stuff compare?

And it isn't always as simple as peeling it off..
https://www.hellcat.org/threads/part-product-review-part-cautionary-tale.132513/

i hate to burst your bubble, but it is more economical than PPF,
How do i know? I've asked an actual installer, have you?

Do you even know how much PPF goes for?
maybe it's more cheaper where you are, but in NYC, it's anywhere from $1800 - $3000 for the FULL front end..
Do you know how much it is with Autoflex Spray shield for the same coverage?

But guess what? not everything is perfect, you think there's no issues with PPF? Ha, you're sadly mistaken if you think PPF is a perfect process/ product.

I live in the Midwest. PPF for the front of a CX-5 costs nowhere near $3000, or even $1800.

So how much does the front of a CX-5 cost for the spray-on stuff?
Does it include the full 14-coat process shown in the video you posted? 2 tack coats, 10 wet coats, 2 top coats?

Thanks man,
it's something new that not everyone is aware of.
I'm just bringing awareness about another viable option to paint protection that's all.
Everyone is different.
I just can't fathom spending thousands on PPF anymore going forward,
I've had PPF done on all my previous cars and although mostly happy with the performance, had to give this product a go and hopefully it'll go well.

We are all enthusiasts here, somebody has to try something new right?

I wouldn't put this stuff on my car if it was given to me for free.

Good luck with it, though, I hope it treats you well, OP.

you're telling me PPF is priced lower than $1800 in your area?
well that explains a lot,
No wonder you would never want to try something different like this autoflex.

If PPF here in NYC was priced like your area, i'd probably stay with something i know works.
But it's not, and hence the reason for this post.
I just don't want to spend thousands $$$ on PPF anymore if there is another option that's more economical and can get the job done just as well.
With the savings, i'll can have the car fully detailed and ceramic coated or have it sprayed again if it ever chips.

anyways different strokes for different folks.

I live in the Midwest. PPF for the front of a CX-5 costs nowhere near $3000, or even $1800.

So how much does the front of a CX-5 cost for the spray-on stuff?
Does it include the full 14-coat process shown in the video you posted? 2 tack coats, 10 wet coats, 2 top coats?

Here, PPF for the front is $1k, it includes the following with paint correction also...

Partial Hood (18-24" from leading edge)
Partial Fenders
Full Front Bumper
Mirrors
Door Edges
Self-Healing Technology
10 Year Manufacturer Warranty

Full front/hood is $1600...

Full Hood
Full Fenders
Full Front Bumper
Headlights
Fog Lights
Mirrors
Door Edges
Self-Healing Technology

Full car is $6k...

Full Hood
Full Fenders
Full Front Bumper
Headlights
Fog Lights
Mirrors
Full Doors
Full Quarter Panels
Full Roof
Full Trunk
Full Rear Bumper
Full Rocker Panels
Full A & B Pillars
Self-Healing Technology

Yes, obviously I can see that it's a salvaged panel. The video you just posted proves my point.

Here's a screenshot of the video you posted, which shows the Autoflex being applied by a professional "dipper".

attachment.php

And here's a dealer photo of the OEM finish. I picked a less than ideal photo on purpose.

attachment.php

nice one!

You are right, It could be the clarity of the video,
how about this walk around video that has autoflex spray shield applied,
is it good enough for a better assessment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XkrTy7HD6U
https://www.instagram.com/p/B2_2iXmns9w/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

this product is fairly new to the scene, so i get how many people can be skeptical,
especially since it requires a professional paint booth to get it applied.
But i do think it's definitely a viable alternative to PPF,
There are other forums that talk about this product as well "tesla" that seems to have great reviews.

Thanks for posting. That video does look better, and it gives a good sense of what to expect after a fresh application. From far away it looks good, but when you get closer it looks like a very poor paint job. Of course, he does mention in the description of the video that the Autoflex still needs to be wetsanded and polished, so the end product may look quite good. At that point though, the installer is doing quite a bit of work - masking/taping, applying 14 coats, cure time, then wetsanding and polishing. The only difference between an actual paint job at this point is panel removal. When you factor in the amount of time that the car has to sit in the booth and the shop rate of a reputable installer, it's hard to understand how all of that could cost less than a PPF installation, especially if the PPF being applied is a pre-cut kit.

That said, if you have an Autoflex installer who can do all of the required work, get it to come out as good as a PPF application, and provide the same amount of protection (i.e. adds a 5-8 mil thick layer of protection against rock chips and such) for less than the cost of PPF, and you can make do without your car for the added downtime, I would definitely deem it to be a viable alternative. It just doesn't seem possible unless the installer is significantly lowering their $/hr rate.

yup definitely have to agree with you.
downtime is about 1-2 days for autoflex spray shield which isn't too bad considering that's the same amount of downtime for a good PPF install.

There are stages you can get this installed, one is full autoflex paint and then applying autoflex spray shield over it, which then requires more downtime.
From what i know, the autoflex paint is supposedly a much better alternative to vinyl color wrapping due to it's durability.

I've had my full front wrapped, and now going to see how autoflex sprayshield compares since it's applied to my rear bumper...wish me luck!

Thanks for posting. That video does look better, and it gives a good sense of what to expect after a fresh application. From far away it looks good, but when you get closer it looks like a very poor paint job. Of course, he does mention in the description of the video that the Autoflex still needs to be wetsanded and polished, so the end product may look quite good. At that point though, the installer is doing quite a bit of work - masking/taping, applying 14 coats, cure time, then wetsanding and polishing. The only difference between an actual paint job at this point is panel removal. When you factor in the amount of time that the car has to sit in the booth and the shop rate of a reputable installer, it's hard to understand how all of that could cost less than a PPF installation, especially if the PPF being applied is a pre-cut kit.

That said, if you have an Autoflex installer who can do all of the required work, get it to come out as good as a PPF application, and provide the same amount of protection (i.e. adds a 5-8 mil thick layer of protection against rock chips and such) for less than the cost of PPF, and you can make do without your car for the added downtime, I would definitely deem it to be a viable alternative. It just doesn't seem possible unless the installer is significantly lowering their $/hr rate.

Back