Audio Pilot Question

CXRabbit

:
2009 CX-9 TR +Kenwood DNX7020EX
Anyone with the Bose System, can you tell me how you know the Audio Pilot system is functioning properly. Audio Pilot is when it compensates for cabin noise by adjusting volume and such.

I have mine turned on, but I can't tell whether it's working or not. If I had to guess, it seems like it isn't.

Anyone with it that could provide some insight it would be helpful.

its easy, sit at a redlight. when it turns green, take the car to WOT and you should hear the volume raise slowly to compensate for the engine noise. Thats the best way to test the system.

B1GHAM said:
its easy, sit at a redlight. when it turns green, take the car to WOT and you should hear the volume raise slowly to compensate for the engine noise. Thats the best way to test the system.

I have tried that to test mine and so far it appears that it is not working as best that I can tell. Is it suppose to work for radio as well as CDs? Just curious... I have tried testing both and it doesn't seem to work for either...

CXRabbit said:
Anyone with the Bose System, can you tell me how you know the Audio Pilot system is functioning properly. Audio Pilot is when it compensates for cabin noise by adjusting volume and such.

I have mine turned on, but I can't tell whether it's working or not. If I had to guess, it seems like it isn't.

Anyone with it that could provide some insight it would be helpful.

Found the post...

Mine doesn't work, either. I had this feature on an '87 Maxima, and it was very obvious when it was working. The volume on this radio never changes.

One of the joys of getting a "first year" model...

i have a cx-7 sport with bose and my audiopilot does work. i didnt think it was working, but if i listen carefully from to a stop to like 60, it gets louder once i hit like 55. it does not get gradually louder, it just gets louder once i'm at a cruise.

The people who say their's are working - do you VISUALLY see the volume raise as well, or is it only audible?

I had a '02 Altima that you could clearly hear the increase in volume. Now with the CX-7 I can't notice any change. Bummer, but as a matter of fact is really useless for me.

I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that my AudioPilot is indeed working, just very poorly. While cruising at about 75mph, I turned it off, and the volume dropped noticeably, with no indication on the display. Turned it back on, but got no increase.

So, I think it's working, but it's basically useless.

The volume numeration is relative - NOT absolute.

So when you're at *10* at a red light and you accellerate onto the highway and the volume compensates, it is trying to compensate to the RELATIVE level of what *10* should be over the level of noise. You should NOT see the volume number increase because the compensation is supposed to be "transparent"... you shouldn't "notice" that the level went up - it should appear to be at the same level above the noise-floor.

Again - the intent is for you to not notice the compensation - and just to be clear... it's not JUST a linear boost in gain. It is compensating based on the noise frequencies read into the microphone. Rather than boosting ALL frequencies, they attempt to boost the ones that may be obscured by interfering and competing noise - so the sound still sounds "flat" without a huge increase in volume - only the frequencies that "need" it.

I am about 80% sure of this.

-sf

CX7_Scott said:
The volume numeration is relative - NOT absolute.

So when you're at *10* at a red light and you accellerate onto the highway and the volume compensates, it is trying to compensate to the RELATIVE level of what *10* should be over the level of noise. You should NOT see the volume number increase because the compensation is supposed to be "transparent"... you shouldn't "notice" that the level went up - it should appear to be at the same level above the noise-floor.

Again - the intent is for you to not notice the compensation - and just to be clear... it's not JUST a linear boost in gain. It is compensating based on the noise frequencies read into the microphone. Rather than boosting ALL frequencies, they attempt to boost the ones that may be obscured by interfering and competing noise - so the sound still sounds "flat" without a huge increase in volume - only the frequencies that "need" it.

I am about 80% sure of this.

-sf

Your explanation sounds pausible and fits with my observations as to how the system works. I did some experimenting similar to AZCAT's tests and came to the conclusion my is working as well but not like I expected. It is very subtle but does change the volume/level of the sound...

ditto

That's a good explanation based on the manual's limited information that the AudioPilot increases the volume and sound quality based on external noise picked up by the microphone.

I spoke to somone from Bose yesterday and they said it is a slight, slow, gradual rise in volume so that you don't even notice it. It is not a loud sudden rise.

Audiopilot answer from dealer

I too have not seen the audiopilot doing anything.. Took it to the dealer twice, on second trip they called Mazda and determined that the Microphone was not installed at the factory as needed.. They installed a Mic and it still does not work.. I dont know what to do now..

I had it in my RX 8....it does work unless you do have something wrong, but you won't always notice it....it's just that it does it in a slight, gradual way.....the CX 7 is pretty quiet vehicle I think so it's less noticeable.

I can't tell if mine is working or not. I've turned it off at highway speeds then back on and I notice no change. I had a sound compensating Pioneer head unit and it worked great. I was never adjusting the volume when I slowed down or came to red light. It even cranked the volume up whe I rolled the windows down at highway speeds. As far as in my CX-7 I am constantly fidgeting with the volume as my speed changes.

Back